Sponsored

No Second Gear Fun?

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devin
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT, 2015 Silverado 1500, 2017 Kawasaki z650
Is there anybody else having problems getting wild in second gear? Factory 5.0 gt 6 speed. i've tried it with advance trak off, I've pulled fuses, pulled bake pedal switch, I even read that if you unhook lf wss it will dissable tc entirely. No such luck. With linelock I can kill a set of tires in the first 3 gears and she barely has to try, but if im power braking it, first gear is super easy, but second it will light them up then it just boggs down and stalls? (tried it with each above listed scenario). at first i was popping at 5k, then started to get irritated and popped around 6k, even tried laying her on the carpet, gets about 2 seconds of spinning then dies. I've even tried doing donuts in a parking lot with no brake in second and it still does the same thing. I've asked many mustang guys and they all shrug their shoulders. So im at a loss, any ideas?
Sponsored

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Stick to first gear?

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devin
Vehicle(s)
Stick to first gear?
I get wheel hop in 1st thats why I'd rather run it in second. My fathers old 4.6 had no problems in second. It's just weird that itll let me do a solid burnout with linelock activated in 1,2,+3 but wont let it even free spin in second. Plus second gear burnout is a better smoke show. It has the oem pirrellis on it that are just about bald. I've got a set of 255/40/18s to put on the rear soon. Don't plan on burning up those ones, just want to finish the old ones off. i didn't know if anyone had this issue and it was resolved by having it tuned or programmed. Worth a shot
Install a Whipple.
next year Im looking at going to an 18 mani, cai, lth, and maybe if the budget allows some headwork. the following year 2020 I'm gearing up for a supercharger kit, just havent done much research on which kit yet since its down the road.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Why do any head work If you're going to install a Whipple?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devin
Vehicle(s)
Why do any head work If you're going to install a Whipple?
Im not a big fan of bolting on power adders without making some sort of engine adjustment. i've learned a lot about what works for n/a vs what works for forced induction, yeah itll bolt up, but it doesnt necessarily mesh as well as I'd like it to. Even though its a reliable, cut and dry, guaranteed kit, I just don't play that way. I just know theres unused potential when you slap a blower on top and tune to your liking. Realistically I'd like to see a set of forged pistons make their way into the mix, but I plan on upgrading valvetrain to reassure i wont have any problems. Again, research will tell the tail. I haven't looked much into it (plan on researching as time passes) but I'd rather throw in a set of cams that better suit forced induction. Coming from the subaru side of things I learned the hard way that i missed a few steps along the way (long story, uneducated people, terrible information). I know these motors are proven to be reliable around that 800 number, but it's just not enough reassurance for me to look to that and not make any precautionary adjustments.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Don't know how you power brake a manual trans ....
My car gets plenty sideways in second gear and happily leaves 2 parallel black lines.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devin
Vehicle(s)
Don't know how you power brake a manual trans ....
My car gets plenty sideways in second gear and happily leaves 2 parallel black lines.
Yes sir, I don't do the heel toe deal, just 5k rev and switch pedals on the left side. Am i the best at it? no, subaru's didnt have this luxury. But yes i can do a burnout just fine. She gets sideways for sure, but for so reason it just shuts down. I've spun her around at the end of the road and itll break loose but after about 3 seconds itll just bog down. I'll try and get a video of it.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Are you turning off the traction control or advancetrac ?

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Im not a big fan of bolting on power adders without making some sort of engine adjustment. i've learned a lot about what works for n/a vs what works for forced induction, yeah itll bolt up, but it doesnt necessarily mesh as well as I'd like it to. Even though its a reliable, cut and dry, guaranteed kit, I just don't play that way. I just know theres unused potential when you slap a blower on top and tune to your liking. Realistically I'd like to see a set of forged pistons make their way into the mix, but I plan on upgrading valvetrain to reassure i wont have any problems. Again, research will tell the tail. I haven't looked much into it (plan on researching as time passes) but I'd rather throw in a set of cams that better suit forced induction. Coming from the subaru side of things I learned the hard way that i missed a few steps along the way (long story, uneducated people, terrible information). I know these motors are proven to be reliable around that 800 number, but it's just not enough reassurance for me to look to that and not make any precautionary adjustments.
So what "engine adjustments" do you have in mind, or think you "need"?

People are making 1,000whp on just a Gen3 whipple and E85. 800whp is easy.

Oh, and EJs are garbage. Welcome to a real engine.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Coming from the subaru side of things
And there's the problem. You're into a totally different animal now. Everything you learned with the King of farts.. throw out the window.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devin
Vehicle(s)
So what "engine adjustments" do you have in mind, or think you "need"?

People are making 1,000whp on just a Gen3 whipple and E85. 800whp is easy.

Oh, and EJs are garbage. Welcome to a real engine.
I soon found out. especially an ej255. junk. When I was quoted 9 grand just to make the car reliable(ish), plus another 3 grand to get to 500 wheel i lost it. Was looking at ss camaros when this beaut came in on trade. Drove it and it was a no brainer, plus half the cost. Idk i just want to make it "my build" not just some out of the box upgrade that the average joe does on the weekends. I spent a couple years building dirt bike engines before I switched to automotive tech. Definitely more expensive to experiment but it's just what i enjoy. I like to play with the internals for sure. compression ratios, different cams, stuff like that. basically, if the kit alone makes +200hp, I want to know what else does what. e85 doesnt exist around here so thats out the window :angry:

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devin
Vehicle(s)
And there's the problem. You're into a totally different animal now. Everything you learned with the King of farts.. throw out the window.
its been shredded, along with the thousands of dollars it cost me. one expensive mistake

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I believe the car is pulling the throttle because youre on the brakes. It thinks youre trying to stop.

It's a safety measure that a ton of cars have now after the Prius debacle.
Sponsored