HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I can't believe how long I've been debating the colors and type of over the top stripes for my Oxford White GT. But its scheduled to go in on the 20th.

I still haven't decided on red or blue. I spent months looking at various reds and blues and tracking down actual cars painted that color because you can't trust internet pictures. I know which of each I would go with but still on the fence between them. May just have to toss a coin or use this poll. Red would be Ford Race Red and Blue would be GM Luxo blue. There were some shades I like a LITTLE better based on color samples but those weren't factory colors so compromised to be able to use off the shelf touch up if ever needed.

Side mirror caps will be the same color as the stripes.

Not sure how my Redline interior factors in.

Most here know Race Red.

Luxo Blue is a medium/dark blue. Its metallic, but just barely. DIB and Kona were too dark and Kona is WAY too metalic for my taste which is mostly for non-metallics. Recent Ford blues are just too light, too dark and/or too metalic for my taste for stripes on a while car..

Also looking for ideas for stencils in the stripes. Don't want anything that future stripe loving buyers would be turned off by.

Also thinking about having the GT350R strut tower brace painted Oxford White. They are painting my CDC Outlaw spoiler OW at the same time they are painting the stripes so should be cheap to get the brace shot.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I voted blue. It's a Mustang, and I'm a traditionalist.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Going blue but GM Opulent/Xenon/Admiral Blue instead of Luxo. Opulent just slightly lighter than Luxo with no purple tinge in some light.

Dropped off at the paint shop this morning. They came and picked up the bumper cover in a pickup. I wanted to learn how to remove myself plus I probably saved a few bucks. Also took off the trunk gloss panel (not sure proper name) for the education. Had to come off since the stripes on the trunk end under the edge. Might replace with a badgeless one while off. Also removed the mirror caps because they told me they would paint them the stripe color for no charge if I removed them.

WP_20180820_06_48_14.jpg

Green tape on hood are strips laid across the bumper cover and cut in the gap before bumper removal. Wasn't sure if they could align the stripes between the panels without some guide but turns out they just temporarily hang the bumper on and mark the hood and bumper.

If I didn't mention, they are going to repaint the bumper if they can get a better match to the rest of the car. Factory bumper/vent/mirror paint was slightly off (very slight yellow tint) as many are. Most people can't see it and It doesn't show in photos but the painter noticed (while it was on the car) even before I asked if he can make a better match. I'm fairly sure I could talk the dealer into "trying" but not sure of their ability or wanting to have my stripes on top of dealer paint, in case it peels later. Lifetime warranty from my painter, but not for non-factory paint under his. For some reason the rear bumper off color doesn't bother me, probably because the seams are much lower.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I have 'till tomorrow to decide on the type of over the top stripes. I think I've ruled out Super Snake so down to Le Mans with or without an offset outside thin stripe of the same color (like @2015VAStang). https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/media/albums/stripes.2137/

If I go that way I may play with the width of the outside stripes and gap between but definitely not much different.

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
I’d go with the blue. I like the thin accent stripe as well so I would recommend this as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I agree.

They are going to mock up with just tape about a foot on the leading edge of the hood and I can ask for them to widen or narrow any stripes or gaps until I like it (or ask for something I already rejected, LoL). Since i described verbally, I'm guessing maybe 50/50 on the first mock up and 95/5 for the second.

Is the recessed center of the roof wider than between the spears on the hood? I think (and hope) so since I would prefer the roof stripes be on one level.

Also they are going to paint my GT350R strut brace Oxford White with the same blue stripes as the OTT ones. I don't think I would have done that with the stock (or any other) brace that is not flat across the top. Of course this now means I have to start caring about how the rest of the engine compartment looks. :wink:

2015VAStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach1 HP , 21 f250 , 97 4runner, 22 Streetglide
Been checking back for some pics. Are you happy with how it turned out?

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Been checking back for some pics. Are you happy with how it turned out?
Not done yet. Should be done Friday. They have had it for a week so I may have made a mistake saying I'm not in a rush. LoL

Will definitely post pics when done.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Still not done and they may regret it because now I have an idea for what to stencil inside the wide center stripe. :wink:

I'm thinking it would look good to have a Mustang pony, either solid or outline at the front of the hood and center of the trunk (midway between window and CDC Outlaw spoiler).

I have no idea where to get some or what to make them out of.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Not a decal. And more a lack of paint than paint. Want to mask off an image of the pony and paint the stripe over it then pull the pony mask off leaving body colored pony.
Sponsored