corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
For this thread and its wheel hop issue, the burden of proof lies with showing that Ohtsu tires are actually good at the kind of driving where OP had his wheel hop issue. OP's experience and tire marketing both suggest pretty strongly that they aren't.

Anyway . . . here's three unfavorable reviews for the FP8000 from 1010tires (it was a PITA copying from there to here). Dry and Wet ratings only, and the wet performance is probably more applicable to OP's issue because it's easier in the wet to blow clear through a tire's peak grip to where grip falls off as slip% continues to increase. Five point scale, red emphasis mine.
Overall: 1.5
Dry 1.0
Wet 1.0

Bought the car with these tires on it, not sure mileage but the tired looked almost new with deep tread left. They have had very poor traction, even moderate acceleration will break them loose on clean dry pavement. Fairly noisey tire as well, made me think bearings were going out but they are all new and still lot of road noise. 13k miles later, the tires have worn quite a bit, but are still not yet at wear bars. Had tread delaminate from one and had to pull over and cut the piece off as it was flapping against the bottom of the vehicle. Going Discount to replace them tomorrow with Conti DW's.

Size: 255/45R18
Vehicle: 2006 Cadillac STS 4 Dr Sedan V with 20917 KM of Tire Wear
Anonymous made this review on 10/2/2016 and is a Confident, Experienced Driver
Overall: 2.2
Dry 1.0
Wet 3.0

I purchased 2 rear tires to replace my Falkens which are no longer available thinking it was for the most part the same tire. I was unfortunately completely mistaken. These tire don't come close to the Falkens that they replaced. These rear tires are all over the road at speeds any higher then 60mph. Frankly its a scary experience at those speeds. The slightest movement in the steering wheel results in the rear of the vehicle feeling like its going to kick out on you. For non aggressive driving they are fine however straight line at speed performance is horrible!!! I even had the car realigned just because I could not believe that these tires could be as bad as they are. Steer clear of these tires, spend a little more for a quality name brand tire.

Size: 285/25R20
Vehicle:
Anonymous made this review on 7/8/2015 and is a Aggressive Driver (Hard Cornering)
Overall: 2.7
Dry 4.0
Wet 2.0

I had these tires since august and they are bald already. no crazy aggressive driving or anything of the such. I got my alignment and the wear in horrible. I don't have 10k miles on them yet they should not be this bad. What is the mileage warranty on these?

Size: 255/35R19
Vehicle: 2003 BMW M3 2 Dr Convertible Base 19" option with 9654 KM of Tire Wear
Anonymous made this review on 2/26/2018 and is a Confident, Experienced Driver
Ball's in your court.

Norm
Sponsored

Ronnoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Why would you buy cheap tires and then spend money on secondary suspension mods. Tires are the most important thing when it comes to launching/wheel hop. Throw on some proper summer performance tires and report back. Also +1 for replacing the Eibach sportlines. I have them on my PP car and the drop is great but the all around performance is certainly lack luster and will be upgrading.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Maybe that's what OP really needed for that particular bit of driving, though even cheapie DRs are going to be pricier than FP8000's (and far more expensive and much less safe overall to run).

Tire Review was very careful to avoid mentioning FP8000 wet traction, which as I mentioned before may well suggest susceptibility for wheel hop. And the FK8000 tread pattern itself may put the tire at a disadvantage as IRS cambers shift as load is transferred back onto them. OP did mention that they seemed to hook before they hopped, and the rear squat and the accompanying camber change does take a finite amount of time to happen.

Norm

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
I ended up having to throw the kitchen sink at the IRS to get rid of wheel hop on my PP. The manual plus 3.73 gearing was a nightmare to launch. Thew away the PZeros for wider Continental ecs and it made a huge difference. You can find all kind of press material touting the performance intentions of the PZeros and even some good reviews but anyone who has had them on a muscle car will tell you they are trash on launches and wheel hop inducers. Just because those tires say they are "performance oriented" does not mean they are intended to handle the abrupt power he is putting down. I'm sure they work very well for people with lighter cars and lower power levels.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Da hell does tires have to do with it? My Nitto NT05R's dead hook at the track, the armageddon wheel hop follows. Point being here he got all the 'xx' parts to stop the hop, and it didn't work. FOr are s550's on radials, it's the strut/ spring combo. Either for drag racing, or canyon carving, there is no 'inbetween'. As for wheel hop, replace all the IRS rubber bushing with polyurethane. Done and done, cured my hop. JMO.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I ended up having to throw the kitchen sink at the IRS to get rid of wheel hop on my PP. The manual plus 3.73 gearing was a nightmare to launch. Thew away the PZeros for wider Continental ecs and it made a huge difference. You can find all kind of press material touting the performance intentions of the PZeros and even some good reviews but anyone who has had them on a muscle car will tell you they are trash on launches and wheel hop inducers. Just because those tires say they are "performance oriented" does not mean they are intended to handle the abrupt power he is putting down. I'm sure they work very well for people with lighter cars and lower power levels.
Not every performance oriented tire has drag racing as its focus - and I dare suggest that a tire company whose reputation was built on European cars where cornering, handling, and speed capability are much bigger priorities is less likely to make a tire that's great at launching. P Zeroes are supposed to be at least decent road course tires once you've put some heat into them, but of course that comes back to great launch ability being totally irrelevant for that activity.

Sometimes you have to read between the lines . . . there is zero mention of muscle cars or pony cars in Pirelli's description of its P Zero. Not by category, make, or specific model. Nothing.
Tire Rack Pirelli P Zero said:
P Zero tires are Max Performance Summer tires derived from 100 years of Pirelli motorsport experience and developed for the drivers of powerful sports cars, sports coupes and high performance luxury sedans. Initially introduced as Original Equipment on the Aston Martin DB9, Audi R8, Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano, Lamborghini Murcielago, Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT and Mercedes-Benz AMG vehicles, the P Zero lineup also includes select replacement tire sizes.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that when you see words like "performance" or "performance oriented" in the descriptions and reviews of a tire, don't assume that means it's going to be any better than average at your favorite kind of performance driving. This works both ways - I wouldn't look to M&H or Mickey for road course or autocross tires. Probably not for cornering-oriented street driving either.

Norm

Last edited:

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
The root issue is the IRS design, which was made for a FWD Ford Fusion first. :)

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Feel free to look through Pirelli's own website. Let me know if you find anything that even remotely addresses drag racing.

Even the tire choices that Ford, Dodge, and Chevy make aren't necessarily made with drag racing as a top priority. I'd actually expect great launch capability to be considered a slight 'negative' as far as OE fitment is concerned.

Wheel hop starts at the tires, and even if you accept the premise that Ohtsus > P Zeros that still doesn't absolve the O's of blame here.

I still think the title of this thread is needlessly inflammatory.

Norm
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.