Sponsored

Best Methanol Kit? AEM or Snow?

Elexion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
I've been doing some research on meth kits, but I wanted to get everyone's opinion? Any additional things to look for or get? Nozzle #? I know AEM has a failsafe, but I can't find anything about Snow Performance having one. It would be on my daily driver.
Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I ran a AEM base kit with a Devil’s Own direct port kit, if I was going to do it all over again, I’d have went straight to Devil’s Own. But I never had any issues with the AEM stuff. Had a “big turbo” ST running 70/30 mix making 450~ish whp.

Is this for cooling or fueling?

OP
OP

Elexion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
I ran a AEM base kit with a Devil’s Own direct port kit, if I was going to do it all over again, I’d have went straight to Devil’s Own. But I never had any issues with the AEM stuff. Had a “big turbo” ST running 70/30 mix making 450~ish whp.

Is this for cooling or fueling?
It would be for cooling, and help from knocking. Performance is just a plus. I have an upgraded intercooler

Last edited:

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible Premium
I'm almost a month in with Snow's stage 3. So far, so good, but it is a work in progress - constantly tweaking the settings and doing test runs. There are no right or wrong settings, it's whatever works best for you and your setup IMO.

Kit wise, it seams to be good, but it's the first WMI I've ever used, so I don't have anything to compare to.

(If I'm wrong with any of this, someone please correct me)

Your nozzle size is going to be based on your other mods / turbo size, etc... I have a stock turbo, but also the ETS intercooler, steeda intake (tune for intake), catback exhaust (soon to be turbo back exhaust) and I'm in Western NY so cooling isn't really an issue for me. Hottest day this summer has been 90F with a max intake temp of 130F that I've noticed.

With Snow's nozzles, #5 was to much - stalled out a few times, rough idle, and a lot of backfire / popping.
#2 was to little / didn't really see much performance gain.
#3 seams to be just right for me so far - good amount of power increase.
I may try a #4 soon - nozzles are only $29 from Snow, so, no big deal to try it.

Cooling wise, I'm having a hard time finding the right sensor to read, if it even exists, to determine if any of this had any effect. The only sensor for air temp that appears in my tuner is the one that goes into the intake box. I'd like to find another sensor to read or install a new sensor to see the temp drop from the bigger intercooler and maybe one from the meth injection, if that's possible. I'm assuming the temp IS dropping because that's what the intercooler and meth are supposed to do - but I'd like to see hard numbers and tweak from there.

DO get the anti siphon solenoid upgrade (not included in the kit from snow or american muscle) - It's good to have regardless of where the pump / tank is.
My kit only came with a #2 and a #5 nozzle so be prepared to order a #3 or #4 after.

If your concern is mostly cooling, it might be wiser to go with a bigger intercooler first and see if that helps, or hood vents / after market hood or etc... With the WMI, you'll need to continually feed it WM, which is an additional expense - where an after market intercooler may lower the temp enough to fix it. Compared to the stock intercooler, which by all accounts is garbage, the ETS intercooler is massive / very nicely built - but - the installation was quite a bit involved. Took 2 of us 3 hours to install with no instructions included other then to watch a youtube video on how to take off the front bumper and figure out the rest from there on our own.

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Cooling wise, I'm having a hard time finding the right sensor to read, if it even exists, to determine if any of this had any effect. The only sensor for air temp that appears in my tuner is the one that goes into the intake box. I'd like to find another sensor to read or install a new sensor to see the temp drop from the bigger intercooler and maybe one from the meth injection, if that's possible. I'm assuming the temp IS dropping because that's what the intercooler and meth are supposed to do - but I'd like to see hard numbers and tweak from there.
The MAP sensor on the intake manifold also has a temperature sensor. It shows up as charge temp on the Access Port but I've seen it referred to as IAT2 before, with the sensor on the airbox as IAT1. I think that the charge temp is what that counts as that's the temperature of the air going into the engine (unless you have a port injection that sprays after the IAT2) after account for the IC and WMI. You should see the charge temp drop below the ambient them, which is impossible with IC alone even if you a magical 100% efficient one.

Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I've looked at alot of meth kits and I would go with Snow over AEM personally.

I have read several complaints about the AEM controllers going bad (I believe one or two on this forum actually). The controller that comes with the Snow Stage 2 (the VC-50) is a very nice little controller thats easy to use and doubles as a boost gauge. I have used Snow, Alky, and DevilsOwn nozzles and I would prefer DevilsOwn any day.

Snow has a chart on their site to estimate nozzle size, and DevilsOwn has a calculator on their site. Of course it is just an estimate though, so fine tuning or a different nozzle may be needed to get it 100%.

If you are using it for cooling and not tuning/relying on it, I wouldn't say a Failsafe is necessary. Just make sure you're install is perfect. If the budget allows opt for the braided stainless lines over the push lock nylon lines, or check out an Alky Control system.

OP
OP

Elexion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
I've looked at alot of meth kits and I would go with Snow over AEM personally.

I have read several complaints about the AEM controllers going bad (I believe one or two on this forum actually). The controller that comes with the Snow Stage 2 (the VC-50) is a very nice little controller thats easy to use and doubles as a boost gauge. I have used Snow, Alky, and DevilsOwn nozzles and I would prefer DevilsOwn any day.

Snow has a chart on their site to estimate nozzle size, and DevilsOwn has a calculator on their site. Of course it is just an estimate though, so fine tuning or a different nozzle may be needed to get it 100%.

If you are using it for cooling and not tuning/relying on it, I wouldn't say a Failsafe is necessary. Just make sure you're install is perfect. If the budget allows opt for the braided stainless lines over the push lock nylon lines, or check out an Alky Control system.
I would want to tune for it just to get the most out of it. Cooling and any horsepower wise. I was leaning more towards Snow honestly.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I would want to tune for it just to get the most out of it. Cooling and any horsepower wise. I was leaning more towards Snow honestly.
If its in the budget I would take a look at Alky Control also.
Sponsored