Sponsored

A10 Tranny Fluid?

Rodsaleen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT
Yes I know majority of '18-'19 owners are not thinking about changing tranny fluid. I'm going to change out my valve body because I've been having a slight issue with my tranny so I'm looking for fluid recommendations. Should I stick with the OEM Motorcraft® MERCON® ULV Automatic Transmission or go with an aftermarket brand. Thanks in advance
Sponsored

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
@Rodsaleen I am not sure how strict Ford is about voiding warranty if you do not use the OEM fluid but assuming that their ULV fluid is specifically designed for the A10 I would stick with that in order to keep the warranty for the 5yr/60K.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Use whatever Ford recommends only. First service is not until 100k miles.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'd be careful about anything other than the specific, Ford-recommended fluid. I found this article which discusses the fluid in the A10:

https://www.caranddriver.com/flipbo...-new-fordgm-10-speed-automatic-transmission#8

"Just as engine oil seems to get thinner every year, so does transmission fluid, in search of reduced friction. Back when four-speed automatics were the norm, transmission fluid had a viscosity of around 7.5 centistokes. The Ford six-speed uses fluid with a viscosity of 6.0 centistokes. The new 10-speed drops that to about 4.5 centistokes, reducing both friction and the workload of the hydraulic pumps. The new fluid is called Mercon ULV, and is planned to last the lifetime of the transmission, aided by a new filter that has two levels of high-efficiency media and a pleated design with much greater area than the filter in the current six-speed transmission."

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Curious, why are you changing the valve body -

1) what symptoms are you experiencing that requires valve body replacement?

2) were you able to source a new valve body and what do they run $$$?

3) why not have it replaced under warranty?

If you do change it out, can you offer the tech here for others?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rodsaleen

Rodsaleen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Curious, why are you changing the valve body -

1) what symptoms are you experiencing that requires valve body replacement?

On the 3-4 shift I'm having rpm flaring and occasionally on the 4-5 shift

2) were you able to source a new valve body and what do they run $$$?

Yes I was able to find one, it was on back-order but it came in yesterday. I found it at White Bear (formerly Tousley's) for $390 plus a $275 core charge. I went to my local Ford dealer and they couldn't believe the price they wanted $600 plus core.

3) why not have it replaced under warranty?

Long story short I tried the warranty route and surprisingly the said they would warranty it with the procharger on the car but the problem was they needed to connect their scan device to the car and since the tune is locked on the car their device couldn't read the pcm. I talked to my tuner and he didn't want to unlock his tune which I respect and he give me a coulple of work arounds but it was going to be a pain in my ass plus the car would've been sitting at the dealership for who knows how long since the VB are on national back-order. I talked with their best tech (supposedly the best tech in the metro area) about my situation and he felt pretty confident that it's the VB and he said the scan device wouldn't necessarily show any it would be him just making his best judgment call. He also told me that over the last two years going back to the F150's he's only serviced 4 10R80's, three trucks and one mustang and 3 of the 4 were VB issues and the other was completely trashed.

If you do change it out, can you offer the tech here for others?

There's no if but when which will probably be next weekend, I'll gladly shared my experience. I'm no certified mechanic but I have a decent sense of know how. I will say this VB is big and heavy as shit, it totally caught me offguard.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
FYI the FSM says:

1. If a new main control valve body was installed, download a new transmission strategy.
    Refer to: Transmission Strategy Download (307-01 Automatic Transmission, General Procedures).

Transmission Strategy Download
Activation

1. If a new main control was installed, record the 12-digit solenoid body identification and 13-digit solenoid body strategy from the replacement solenoid body tag provided with the main control service kit. Place the replacement tag over the existing identification tag.
    • 13 - digit solenoid body strategy
    • 12 - digit solenoid body identification

1. Using the scan tool, select module Programming and Programmable Parameters under the toolbox icon and select transmission. Follow the instructions displayed on the scan tool. There are fields to enter the solenoid body 12-digit identification and 13-digit strategy recorded from the solenoid body.
  1. Compare the transmission strategy label to the codes displayed on the scan tool. The codes displayed on the scan tool should match the lable. If not, select the update option on the tool. Once the update option is selected the tool will ask the user what best describes the repair operation that was performed on the transmission. The scan tool will only allow the user to select 1 of the five options. Once the selection is made, the user can enter the transmission code from the label into the entry box.
  1. NOTICE: If the solenoid body information is not correct, transmission damage or driveability concerns can occur.

NOTICE: It is critical that only 13-digit strategy be entered into the scan tool. Entering the 12-digit solenoid body identification will result in partial file download to the module. The 12-digit solenoid body identification option should only be used when directed by engineering in a case where a full 13-digit strategy cannot be obtained.

Enter the solenoid body 13-digit strategy. The scan tool verifies the numbers entered are valid and displays a message if the information is not valid. The scan tool will check to verify the file is present on the scan tool. If the file is present, the technician may proceed with downloading the file to the module. If the file is NOT present, the scan tool will promt the user for permission to retrieve the file from the Professional Technician Society (PTS) server. Internet access will be required to download the file from the server to the scan tool.
  1. Follow the instructions on the network to download the strategy file to the scan tool.
  1. Follow the instructions displayed on the scan tool.
  1. The scan tool automatically downloads the strategy file. The scan tool displays a message when it is finished downloading the data that states that the file was downloaded successfully.
  1. NOTICE: If a drive cycle is not completed, erratic shifts and driveability concerns may occur.

Road test the vehicle following the Adaptive Learning Drive Cycle.
    Refer to: Adaptive Learning Drive Cycle (307-01 Automatic Transmission, General Procedures).

1. NOTICE: If a drive cycle is not completed, erratic shifts and driveability concerns may occur.

Refer to: Adaptive Learning Drive Cycle (307-01 Automatic Transmission, General Procedures).

1. Apparently this is not just a "drive it around" adaptive learning
    Adaptive Learning Drive Cycle
    Activation

NOTE: Perform the adaptive learning drive cycle on a level road surface.

NOTE: The engine and transmission must be at normal operating temperature with the transmission fluid at the correct level.
    1. Record then clear the DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes).
    1. Warm the engine and transmission to normal operating temperature.
    1. Accelerate from a stop with light throttle (15%) ensuring that the 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, 5-6, 6-7, 7-8 shifts occur at engine speeds between 1300-1600 rpm.
    1. Continue to accelerate (may apply slightly more throttle after 7-8 upshift at 32-38 mph (51-61 km/h) until you achieve 55 mph (88 km/h) and the 8-9 and 9-10 shifts complete.
    1. Brake very gently to a complete stop and hold foot on brake for five (5) seconds.
    1. Perform a Neutral to Reverse engagement.
    1. Repeat Steps 3 through 6 six additional times.

OP
OP
Rodsaleen

Rodsaleen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. The tech informed me about this and he told me I should be good to drive the car back to the dealership so they download the new strategy code. He also told me he's installed new VBs, taking the cars on a test drive , and (had a OH SHIT moment) because he forgot to update the strategy code, pulled over & updated the code, and the car was fine. I'm going to ask a friend if he has the scan device to do this to avoid a $125 dealership charge just to update a code.

FYI the FSM says:

1. If a new main control valve body was installed, download a new transmission strategy.
    Refer to: Transmission Strategy Download (307-01 Automatic Transmission, General Procedures).

Transmission Strategy Download
Activation

1. If a new main control was installed, record the 12-digit solenoid body identification and 13-digit solenoid body strategy from the replacement solenoid body tag provided with the main control service kit. Place the replacement tag over the existing identification tag.
    • 13 - digit solenoid body strategy
    • 12 - digit solenoid body identification

1. Using the scan tool, select module Programming and Programmable Parameters under the toolbox icon and select transmission. Follow the instructions displayed on the scan tool. There are fields to enter the solenoid body 12-digit identification and 13-digit strategy recorded from the solenoid body.
  1. Compare the transmission strategy label to the codes displayed on the scan tool. The codes displayed on the scan tool should match the lable. If not, select the update option on the tool. Once the update option is selected the tool will ask the user what best describes the repair operation that was performed on the transmission. The scan tool will only allow the user to select 1 of the five options. Once the selection is made, the user can enter the transmission code from the label into the entry box.
  1. NOTICE: If the solenoid body information is not correct, transmission damage or driveability concerns can occur.

NOTICE: It is critical that only 13-digit strategy be entered into the scan tool. Entering the 12-digit solenoid body identification will result in partial file download to the module. The 12-digit solenoid body identification option should only be used when directed by engineering in a case where a full 13-digit strategy cannot be obtained.

Enter the solenoid body 13-digit strategy. The scan tool verifies the numbers entered are valid and displays a message if the information is not valid. The scan tool will check to verify the file is present on the scan tool. If the file is present, the technician may proceed with downloading the file to the module. If the file is NOT present, the scan tool will promt the user for permission to retrieve the file from the Professional Technician Society (PTS) server. Internet access will be required to download the file from the server to the scan tool.
  1. Follow the instructions on the network to download the strategy file to the scan tool.
  1. Follow the instructions displayed on the scan tool.
  1. The scan tool automatically downloads the strategy file. The scan tool displays a message when it is finished downloading the data that states that the file was downloaded successfully.

1. Apparently this is not just a "drive it around" adaptive learning
    Adaptive Learning Drive Cycle
    Activation

NOTE: Perform the adaptive learning drive cycle on a level road surface.

NOTE: The engine and transmission must be at normal operating temperature with the transmission fluid at the correct level.
    1. Record then clear the DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes).
    1. Warm the engine and transmission to normal operating temperature.
    1. Accelerate from a stop with light throttle (15%) ensuring that the 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, 5-6, 6-7, 7-8 shifts occur at engine speeds between 1300-1600 rpm.
    1. Continue to accelerate (may apply slightly more throttle after 7-8 upshift at 32-38 mph (51-61 km/h) until you achieve 55 mph (88 km/h) and the 8-9 and 9-10 shifts complete.
    1. Brake very gently to a complete stop and hold foot on brake for five (5) seconds.
    1. Perform a Neutral to Reverse engagement.
    1. Repeat Steps 3 through 6 six additional times.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Good to see the tech told you about this and that you have a plan!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rodsaleen

Rodsaleen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Rodsaleen

How did it go, any updates?
The valve body swap was simple and straight forward. There was a few things the technician told me that’s not in the instructions for the relearning process. After I swapped out the valvebody, the flare was still there but it wasn't as pronounced. Lund sent me another revision and said if this doesn't work its a transmission problem. I have no clue what he did in the tune but there has been zero flaring and the car is back shifting crisp in every gear. On one hand I ask myself is this something he could’ve done prior to me swapping the valvebody but it also eliminates one possibility from the puzzle. Either way I’m glad I swapped it and we got it fixed.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
The valve body swap was simple and straight forward. There was a few things the technician told me that’s not in the instructions for the relearning process. After I swapped out the valvebody, the flare was still there but it wasn't as pronounced. Lund sent me another revision and said if this doesn't work its a transmission problem. I have no clue what he did in the tune but there has been zero flaring and the car is back shifting crisp in every gear. On one hand I ask myself is this something he could’ve done prior to me swapping the valvebody but it also eliminates one possibility from the puzzle. Either way I’m glad I swapped it and we got it fixed.
Good news. Two of us with Unleashed tunes (BDX) had the flare pre tune. Would not go away. But, the recent SCT device updates just cured it for both of us. Very happy! ;).

OP
OP
Rodsaleen

Rodsaleen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good news. Two of us with Unleashed tunes (BDX) had the flare pre tune. Would not go away. But, the recent SCT device updates just cured it for both of us. Very happy! ;).
That’s awesome.

OP
OP
Rodsaleen

Rodsaleen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you Ngauge or BDX?
Ngauge. My flare started post tune and I probably had my tune for 3-4 months before it started.
Sponsored