Sponsored

Any way to reduce/eliminate driveline slack?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby PP with some goodies
I have an appointment with my dealer on Tuesday to have the excessive noise and sloppiness looked at. What exactly did you say to the dealership. For me, I have a thud in the driveline that I can feel throughout the chassis when I shift the car into first, second, or third from a cold stop. It gets better when the vehicle warms, but never goes away. I also get a lot of noise when downshifting, unless I heel/toe and rev-match. Otherwise, I get like a 'clack' noise, which is just annoying.

I'm considering the Steeda diff bushings that are listed above, as well as a Barton bracket and shifter, but I'd prefer for the dealer to fix the issue, and since I'm mechanical, but don't really know what y'all are talking about with 'lash', I want to make sure I can speak the lingo with the tech.

JR
I would do the bushings. I think they have a tolerance some more then others. You can request to have the driveshaft replaced. As far is the clacking I get that's from the front area when shifting and specially low speeds. That's why it's in the shop atm.. Once again. I've complained about this clacking clutch chatter before.
Sponsored

Andrewg

Sun, Sea, Sand and Camels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metallic GT 401A
I have an appointment with my dealer on Tuesday to have the excessive noise and sloppiness looked at. What exactly did you say to the dealership. For me, I have a thud in the driveline that I can feel throughout the chassis when I shift the car into first, second, or third from a cold stop. It gets better when the vehicle warms, but never goes away. I also get a lot of noise when downshifting, unless I heel/toe and rev-match. Otherwise, I get like a 'clack' noise, which is just annoying.

I'm considering the Steeda diff bushings that are listed above, as well as a Barton bracket and shifter, but I'd prefer for the dealer to fix the issue, and since I'm mechanical, but don't really know what y'all are talking about with 'lash', I want to make sure I can speak the lingo with the tech.

JR
I would do the bushings. I think they have a tolerance some more then others. You can request to have the driveshaft replaced. As far is the clacking I get that's from the front area when shifting and specially low speeds. That's why it's in the shop atm.. Once again. I've complained about this clacking clutch chatter before.
Diff bushings will make the sound louder and harsher. I installed the whiteline trans bushing and MGW some time ago. Car shifts like a dream but still getting the thud so I can rule out the transmission. I notice it when I press/release the clutch not necessarily when I shift which leads me to believe it's driveline play.

Drive shaft? Differential? I don't know. What I do know is that after installing BMR diff bushings (part BK049) a lot more NVH is present and the thud is a lot louder now. Stiffer bushings mean more noise is transferred which again, leads me to believe it is more the play in the diff engaging/disengaging than the driveshaft having an issue.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
There's is nothing WRONG with the car, it's inherent to a manual driveline. though you don't like it, there's really nothing to fix as there is nothing, wrong. But an auto slushbox next time.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
There's is nothing WRONG with the car, it's inherent to a manual driveline. though you don't like it, there's really nothing to fix as there is nothing, wrong. But an auto slushbox next time.
I disagree. My S197 didn't make any noises like this. I've driven a buddy's 2015 GT, another's 2012 GT, and another's 2016 GT. All equipped with the Coyote/MT-82, and none of them make excessive noises like this. They also never 'thudded' when shifting gears.

JR

thet33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT/6MT/3.55
Yea I have a 3.55 and its pretty pretty annoying. Test drove a 3.31 and actually seemed like it'd be more enjoyable as a DD. Too bad dealership wanted to lowball me on trade in.

Sponsored

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I have the Blowfish Racing shifter mount, Steeda crossmember/transmission mount insert, and carbon fiber driveshaft shop driveshaft -- and other stuff. I just put an email in asking DSS if it's normal to have some harmonic noise from 50-70 mph - it's not bad, but different from before. The pluses are great though -- smooth clutch engagement, tires hook better, etc. I do still have a lot of drive line noise, but I'm convinced that everything is in good shape. The "thud" that occurred when pushing in the clutch from a stop before pushing it into gear is for the most part gone -- I probably wouldn't notice it now, but I was listening for it after, so I'm bound to pick up even a suggestion of noise. If you aren't sure you want a short throw shifter, I highly recommend the Blowfish Racing mount -- it's great! It was either that, or the MGW for me -- and now I have an Anarchy Motive knob, and Boomba Racing short throw shift lever on the way.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I dont see how replacing the shifter will make a difference in the driveline slack? maybe the bushing inserts will help a little.
Someone recommended the DSS driveshaft? Will this fix the issue completely? I heard about increased NVH after replacing the driveshaft.
Anyone have any input?
I had issues with NVH to the point when I looked into my rear view mirror at 70 mph everything was a blur. There was significant driveline vibration. The dealer noticed too much slack in my U-joint and replaced it. About the same time I got new rims and wheels. It's been a while so remembering one from the other hard to tell. Check your U-joint for excessive slack first. It's an easy place to start. I can say my car is smooth and no NVH. Before spending money go after the low hanging fruit.
Sponsored