Sponsored

Car pulling to right under acceleration

ssmith891

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500
So yesterday, I got a flat tire (passenger rear) on the way to work. Got a tow to Costco, and they replaced the tire. The tires (Pilot Sport A/S 3+) are only 2 months old, so new tire tread isn’t far off from the other 3.

However, after I left Costco, I now have a significant pull to the right under acceleration. Do you guys think this is a defective tire, or something got knocked loose on my suspension? Whether it was knocked loose from the flat tire, or on Costco’s end. I’ve tried researching, but can’t find a direct answer on the cause of this.
Sponsored

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Do you think the tow might have knocked the alignment off?

OP
OP
ssmith891

ssmith891

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500
Do you think the tow might have knocked the alignment off?
I thought about that, but when I’m just coasting and not accelerating, there’s no pull.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Could be a defective tire, the inner wiring could be “off”, happens. More likely is that either your alignment is off or Costco did not do a proper tire balance.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Only way to know is to move it to the drivers side and see if it still pulls and which way.

Sponsored

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Supposedly tires do take a bit to break in but my guesstimate would be it should cause the opposite problem if that were the case. Unless it is traction/stability control somehow involving?

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Are you sure the tires are identical? Sometimes, something "stupid" can be off, like the tire on one side having a different speed rating than the tire on the other...(had this happen on a previous car, where the car had H-rated Goodyear Eagle RS-A's, from the factory, but the only local replacement was the V-rated version...). I eventually had to replace the other tire on the axle with the V-rated version to offset the radial steer I was getting from that setup!

The S550 'stang is known to pull, too, from the IRS differential housing going out of alignment under high power loads...there's a fix for that: https://www.americanmuscle.com/bmr-irs-lockoutk-kit-black-1516.html

How did you pop the tire?

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
One new rear tire is likely your issue. Give it some time to get to the meat instead of the tire mold coating and it should work itself out.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
BRAND NEW tire will grip differently (less initially) than a tire that's been broken in. Double check the tire is the correct size, then have your alignment checked after a little while.

I have had this happen before (unrelated to getting a new tire) and it was because my toe was way off on the passenger side after getting an alignment from a shop that clearly needed to calibrate their alignment machine.

Osofast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt premium
Vehicle Showcase
Air pressure, any chance Costco over inflated when it was put on the rim.
Wife just had 4 new tires put on at a shop and they didn’t care that they left them at 60psi instead of 35psi factory recommended. Wife’s car drove like shit for a week before I got a chance to drive it and check them, and realized that was the issue.

Sponsored

3onthetree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Man. W/PP
I have the BMR Lockout kit, alignment kit and Diff bushing kit, stock Pirelli tires and had the same problem once. in my case tire pressure was off about 5lbs. in one tire and enough to create what you describe. I agree in your case its the new tire.

OP
OP
ssmith891

ssmith891

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500
Alright guys, I've tried just about everything at this point:

• Tire pressure same all around.
  • Moved rear wheel with new tire to opposite side (driver's side), and now pulling to the left instead of the right.
  • Went back to Costco thinking it was a defective tire, and got another new tire. Nothing changed, pull is still there and the same.
  • Figured it may be a bent wheel. Went to a wheel shop, and both rear wheels are true.
  • Went and got an alignment, and I'm in spec.
After all of this, the only thing I can think of, is that the SLIGHT tread difference is actually causing this drastic of a pull under any acceleration. But I still can't wrap my head around the fact that a 32nd of tread difference is causing me to basically drive crooked during accleration, and the second I take my foot off the gas, the rear of the car kicks back the opposite direction and steers straight. But maybe that actually is causing uneven grip when any power is going down?

Has anyone encountered anything like this? Maybe shave the new tire down? If it's actually a new tire issue, maybe it will fix itself as the tire settles? Or am I at a point that the best decision is to just get another new rear tire on the opposite side?

I'm willing to do about anything now, because the car at this point is pretty close to not being reasonably drivable.

p51

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver GT w/ PP
Check that they mounted it correctly. I took mine to a shop and they mounted my asymmetrical tire with the inside sidewall facing out. It was very obvious to me as soon as I started driving. Won't be going back there ever.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Alright guys, I've tried just about everything at this point:

• Tire pressure same all around
Has anyone encountered anything like This?

I'm willing to do about anything now, because the car at this point is pretty close to not being reasonably drivable.
Scrubber3 nailed it. Brand new tires are slippery for the first few miles.
No
Sponsored