Sponsored

BMW burns, what would you have done?

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
https://imgur.com/q0ChZcw

The rational logic would have been to shut engine down and get out a different door but fire could have spread there too. This guy pulls it off by driving fast and simmering the flames.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
https://i.imgur.com/q0ChZcw.mp4

The rational logic would have been to shut engine down and get out a different door but fire could have spread there too. This guy pulls it off by driving fast and simmering the flames.
I don't think he did; the flames popped right back up as soon as he stopped. There's no way you're gonna go fast enough in a production BMW to put out a fire. You might be able to do it with a top fuel dragster or something faster.

Shut it down and get out. If you've got a fire extinguisher handy (maybe in the trunk) grab it a give it a go. If your fuel tank is full you'll have a bit more time, but watch around you; as soon as the fuel starts to get hot it's going to expand and start flowing out through any available opening.

If your tank is less than half full the chance of an explosion goes way up.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Looks to me like he did what I did back in the 80s... car on fire and I moved it to a safe location to burn. Stupid of me, but that was my thinking at the time.

Luckily I pulled over in sand, lifted the hood and a bunch of guys threw sand in the engine bay and put the fire out. That POS. Lot of work it was back on the road again... good friend of the family was a mechanic... he patched up cars like you would not believe.

We were all dumb... still think about how that could have went wrong.

Nowadays I would have gotten out and took pictures of it burning in the middle of the road. That is why I have insurance.

Sponsored

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Nowadays I would have gotten out and took pictures of it burning in the middle of the road. That is why I have insurance.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

~Ripley

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think I would have done what the driver did, which is to make the assumption that the car wouldn't immediately blow up. Probably smarter to immediately jump out and get away from the car, but I think my first instinct would be to drive to the edge of the road first.
Sponsored