W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
I just got a letter from the RAC - saying that maybe they hadnt been clear about my renewal fee for membership - last December

So I called them just now

They have offered to cancel it and refund a % of the money I already paid -

and now I discover that I can take out a new policy with AA or NB at well over £100 less -

or (even more crazy) a new RAC policy at over £100 less!! :shock::shock::shock:

this is mad

So - what "breakdown" is recommended by other members here - before I decide?

cheers

Bob
Sponsored

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT MY19 Bullitt
I just got a letter from the RAC - saying that maybe they hadnt been clear about my renewal fee for membership - last December

So I called them just now

They have offered to cancel it and refund a % of the money I already paid -

and now I discover that I can take out a new policy with AA or NB at well over £100 less -

or (even more crazy) a new RAC policy at over £100 less!! :shock::shock::shock:

this is mad

So - what "breakdown" is recommended by other members here - before I decide?

cheers

Bob
I got breakdown free with the car which I extended for free with the Ford service package ...

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT
If you get the car serviced at a Ford garage then you get free AA breakdown for a year, that’s what I do each year

Sponsored

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
If you get the car serviced at a Ford garage then you get free AA breakdown for a year, that’s what I do each year
Only participating garages (Ford Stores such as Sandicliffe (in the Midlands) don't take part) and it only applies to the car, so if you're in another vehicle, you're not covered (like the standard AA membership). Also, surely the cost of a RAC/AA membership is small compared to the pitfalls of taking your P&J to a main dealer.

Had AA membership for years, but their overall service became relatively poor. Went with RAC last year which was loads cheaper (new customer etc). Had call outs a few times, seem OK, but takes about 20mins to get through on their 'breakdown hotline'.

wack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Shadow Edition Triple Yellow
go through Quidco , their cashback can be very good, I just switch between AA & RAC each year so I'm a new customer every year

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Yes, not sure why you wouldn't just do this?? As long as it's a participating dealer it's a no brainier

wack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only valid on the one car though, no use to me I have 3 cars and a van

Sponsored

Entai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT kona Blue, A10, Magneride, CP 2. Daily Driver

They offer free breakdown insurance purely because they know you will need it if you get the car worked on by them.

Any new car I have ever owned I have never set foot in the dealers again after purchase.

Current Focus RS was bought and then everything done by an independent.

Even stuff going wrong during warranty period I never went anywhere near the dealer network just had my independent fix it

Far far to many horror stories to take the risk of wasted time.

Just such a pity you have to go to a dealer to get the thing purchased in the first place.

Ideal world would be one independent place you can go to to purchase any vehicle from any manufacturer.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I'm on a ford service plan (cuz it was cheap at £590 for 3 servo's and 1 mot). Gives me free AA premium breakdown cover each year following (so until Apr 2020)

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
They offer free breakdown insurance purely because they know you will need it if you get the car worked on by them.

Any new car I have ever owned I have never set foot in the dealers again after purchase.

Current Focus RS was bought and then everything done by an independent.

Even stuff going wrong during warranty period I never went anywhere near the dealer network just had my independent fix it

Far far to many horror stories to take the risk of wasted time.

Just such a pity you have to go to a dealer to get the thing purchased in the first place.

Ideal world would be one independent place you can go to to purchase any vehicle from any manufacturer.
I assume that you've been fairly fortunate with new cars then as presumably if something significant was wrong with a new car you wouldn't pay to fix it yourself?
I sometimes think that as forum frequently flyers we get unbalanced reports of dealerships, as generally we only post about our bad experiences. The dealership that services mine is fairly decent however my experiences recently of a different marque were not so favourable. I'd agree that a reliable independent is the way forward though part of the attraction of newer cars for me is the manufacturers warranty.

Entai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT kona Blue, A10, Magneride, CP 2. Daily Driver
I assume that you've been fairly fortunate with new cars then as presumably if something significant was wrong with a new car you wouldn't pay to fix it yourself?
I sometimes think that as forum frequently flyers we get unbalanced reports of dealerships, as generally we only post about our bad experiences. The dealership that services mine is fairly decent however my experiences recently of a different marque were not so favourable. I'd agree that a reliable independent is the way forward though part of the attraction of newer cars for me is the manufacturers warranty.

Almost all manufacturers appear to have issues with warranty work though, never quite doing enough, just the bare minimum to get the vehicle back up and running. where an in dependent will take time, has teh passion and want to do a proper job, and will at the very least let you know of other issues they find along the way, although mine knows if he finds anything just do it and tell me after.

Yeah most new cars I've had have been reasonably behaved with only a few minor issues.

However I did have a Honda accord Type-R brand new, when they first came out, and that blew a head gasket and seized the engine after about 8 months, ok it was an exception to teh rule, and not something Honda had ever heard of before and it was traced to a faultily manufactured part, however Honda said it would be at least a fortnights wait for parts from Japan.

So I took it to an independent engine builder and had it all fully repaired (and reworked and re-bored while there to 2.4lt 280bhp) for just under £3k and a weeks work, a couple of parts they needed but could not get from Honda in time they made in house, all was great and the engine lasted another 14 years with no issues.

wack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
However I did have a Honda accord Type-R brand new, when they first came out, and that blew a head gasket and seized the engine after about 8 months, ok it was an exception to teh rule, and not something Honda had ever heard of before and it was traced to a faultily manufactured part, however Honda said it would be at least a fortnights wait for parts from Japan.

So I took it to an independent engine builder and had it all fully repaired (and reworked and re-bored while there to 2.4lt 280bhp) for just under £3k and a weeks work, a couple of parts they needed but could not get from Honda in time they made in house, all was great and the engine lasted another 14 years with no issues.
All manufacturers would love a customer like you , fire and forget, I'd have thought Honda would've just replaced the engine, if it'd seized that's what I'd want
Sponsored