Sponsored

Warranty issue. To pursue or not?

Monica_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost Performance pack
Hey everyone. Got a good old warranty claim issue for you.

Long story short. I have a pretty modded ecoboost.

An apr splitter, and lowered on coil overs are the only two things that really apply.

Have a driver side headlight that has an adjustment screw broken. The beam points directly down and can’t be adjusted.

I can fix this with one bolt to hold it in the correct position. But I don’t want to screw up a warranty claim. I’m also worried about the metal bolt shorting something out on the headlight (it would be in contact with the metal square part of the bulb, other suggestions are welcomed for holding the socket in place)

I took it to the dealer. Twice, for them to actually figure it out.

Ford denied me a warranty claim. With the following reasons by me

- accident on car fax -

- reason: (this happened to the right side. Not left side where the problem is) (also this was almost 2 years ago and was never stated as a problem because it never was, no cosmetic or bumper work was done)

- front bumper mods:

( apr splitter, bumper clearly has a mod to it. Have a gt grill and hood too but I doubt they picked up on that) splitter scrapes at times but I’m careful and nothing besides a scrape happens)

I could even understand the lowered arguement with bumps to a certain point. But this was never used as a reason. Also, the headlight is in perfect condition. So is the fender liner, apart from slight rubbing nowhere near the headlight toward the edges

Sorry for a long post but details were needed for good advice.

Do I pursue warranty or use another screw to adjust the beam?
Sponsored

DeerLick

Blehhhhhh.....
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rapid Red GT Premium PP1
Personally, I would try taking it to another dealership. Headlight assemblies are expensive. Not sure the extent of the damage or where the bolt you're talking about is located, but there's also the possibility of condensation build up inside the assembly and that will cause a lot more issues down the road if not addressed. Just my two cents.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Bring your insurance repair docs to the Service Center to prove the crash damage did not affect that headlight (or that the body shop did not have to R&R anything near it).

Also, why was the Dealership running any CarFax for a repair? The only thing I can think of was there is something obvious in the vicinity of the headlight that explicitly and visually shows existing, unrepaired (OR repaired) parts - and they took it upon themselves to investigate further.

I can see why they would deny a warranty claim IF they feel the damage to the headlight should have been fixed by the body shop.

Vehicle warranty work will be denied IF the part or parts has been damaged or shows signs of damage that can be proven (in one way or another) to being NON-manufacturing defect or defective malfunction. This is stated in the fine print as to what is warrantable and not.

Can they deny a headlight claim if you changed your exhaust, suspension or tires? NO, because they are non-related mods that have no impact on the form or function of the headlight.

Now if the headlight was damaged during the install of those mods (obviously HAS to be proven), then certainly the Dealership can deny based on discretion OR based on Ford’s denial parameters AGAIN IF there is a direct correlation between aftermarket mods and defective part.

If you can’t get it fixed via Ford - hit up eBay - original replacement S550 headlights are all over that site, cost far less then getting direct from Ford and the have come down in price over the years.

OP
OP
Monica_Stang

Monica_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Cobra great info.

Ford was given stuff about my accident the first time I went and not the second, I doubt they pulled the file I gave them a week earlier. I'll make sure to bring it to the next dealer.

As far as I know there is No damage to the light whatsoever, its just something on the inside that broke. I also have never had to take the headlight off for any of the mods that I have done so its definitely not anything from me in the process of this. I am going to get an appointment with another dealer soon to get it looked at again.

And yes I currently am watching a bunch of headlights on ebay. Still run about $500 though. Not exactly cheap.

Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
Monica_Stang

Monica_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Vehicle warranty work will be denied IF the part or parts has been damaged or shows signs of damage that can be proven (in one way or another) to being NON-manufacturing defect or defective malfunction. This is stated in the fine print as to what is warrantable and not."

What would be an example of defective malfunction? Something breaking inside the headlight preventing it from turning certainty seems like it would be a defective malfunction right?

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
For instance a defective malfunction could be a headlight that does not turn on, or say a headlight where the DRL’s don’t illuminate. Ford would authorize a warranty replacement or repair as long as the assembly did not show any signs of tampering, underlying damages (ie: cracked from an accident or attempted removal).

Trust me, we’re on your side and don’t think you have done anything that would void your warranty claim. Some dealerships are not very open to doing warranty work. Each and every Ford Dealership is a separate Franchise, not one of them are the same as far as operational capacities and function. Sure they may have the same footprint, design and look of Ford, but other than that some of those Dealerships can call the shots (within reason), while others adhere to Ford’s Corporate standards, policies and procedures.

I don’t know what the dollar value is for Ford having to authorize a warranty repair, but I’m sure there is a threshold as to when the Dealership has to reach out to Ford for review of the claim before Ford will allow the Dealership to commence with the work.

I would contact the Ford 800# and get a claim started; explain your concerns and tell them you believe you are being treated unfairly by the Dealership. Maybe that will get you better leverage in helping to get the headlight looked at closer without prejudice.

Snap a few pics of the affected area and post them here.

OP
OP
Monica_Stang

Monica_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here are some pics. Obviously there are other parts that could possibly show signs of damage but from all angles it looks good and in perfect condition. Not a scratch. The dealership also never mentioned any damage on the actual headlight itself

I also included a picture showing the the beam facing straight down. Can’t even be seen when you are driving.

I contacted ford and they said to go another dealer to get a second opinion which is what I’m going to do.
59CED497-ACDA-4319-BD65-D56A53B18C58.jpeg
3D30A1CA-6405-45E9-BFC8-ADA9633A2009.jpeg
3303F01F-EBC7-4245-90F3-E831540D03BC.jpeg
43816786-472D-4AA6-9A0B-6AB42F6CF57E.jpeg
E4CA053A-D2DE-40EF-9AF7-0479F8ADE663.jpeg
964D6A84-91C8-480E-B923-915D4AD07CCB.jpeg

OP
OP
Monica_Stang

Monica_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just to update this I went to another dealer and they were completely fine with warrantying the light. Thanks for all the help and good information!

DeerLick

Blehhhhhh.....
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rapid Red GT Premium PP1
Awesome! Glad to hear it worked out for you. :)
Sponsored