Sponsored

"yet another BBQ tick" thread - 2017 GT Base

strike-eagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
Just thought I'd make this thread to chronicle what is going on with my ride and its BBQ tick.

Monday 8/6 - dropped car off in the morning, tech did not have diagnosis that day.

Tuesday 8/7- service advisor called me in the afternoon, said they think it's coming from the under body and not the engine. Then he said hang on, the tech is walking up to me... "forget everything I just said, the tech confirmed it's coming from the engine". Got a rental car on Ford.

Wednesday 8/8 - No update, service advisor said they asked Ford what they want them to do and said it usually takes 24-48 hours for Ford to get back to them.

Tuesday 8/9 - No update, service advisor says if they don't hear back by Friday, he'll put in an order for a long block. He said someone at Ford would come running then lol. He also said he'll definitely try to get me a long block. Fingers crossed on that.

No update yet today, though I'm hopeful. Here's what my ride was doing, skip to about a minute:
Sponsored

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Same noise as the rest of us. They are pulling my motor out and examining the short block as we speak. I'll post what they find.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Yup same noise as mine had. Anyone thinking this is the sound of a healthy engine is crazy in my book.

OP
OP

strike-eagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
Same noise as the rest of us. They are pulling my motor out and examining the short block as we speak. I'll post what they find.
Yikes. I heard back today. Dealership said Ford wanted them to pull the oil pan to check for metal.

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10 401A with Active Exhaust
that's weird. does sound like a BBQ ignitor. almost sounds like a belt slapping back and forth and your ticking it's really consistant. Good luck man and let us know what you find out. FYI this has been going on since the 2011's came out. I had it on my 2012 but just basically ignored it. Never had any problems and it never got worse or changed with oil changes or anything like that.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Sounds like what a loose rod bearing would make, which will change with engine load and RPM. I don't know why these dealerships that replace the block assy don't mic out the clearances on the crank and rod bearings to find an answer. How many short blocks have been replaced now, and we have NEVER heard of one report back if bearing clearances were ever verified to be in spec or not. :facepalm:

OP
OP

strike-eagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
Finally got an update today. They pulled the oil pan, found no metal. The service advisor said they isolated the tick to cylinders 2 and 3. He said their next step is to cut open the oil filter and check for metal, check the rods, and check oil pressure. I should have another update on Tuesday once they finish going back and forth with Ford.

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Finally got an update today. They pulled the oil pan, found no metal. The service advisor said they isolated the tick to cylinders 2 and 3. He said their next step is to cut open the oil filter and check for metal, check the rods, and check oil pressure. I should have another update on Tuesday once they finish going back and forth with Ford.
If they are doing that much work they'll eventually end up putting in a short block I'd bet.

OP
OP

strike-eagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
If they are doing that much work they'll eventually end up putting in a short block I'd bet.
I was hoping for a long block :( If anything else, I'm hoping this goes past 30 days so I can lemon law it.

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
CEhollier had damaged cams, metal shavings in oil, an angelic mechanic and still didn't get a long block, but one can hope. If you get a long block youd be the first I've heard of.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Ask them to also check the rod side clearance. So how/why did they determine the ticking was coming from cylinders 2 and 3?

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Posted on another thread, but same issue here. All main done by dealer. Car is stock. Just had my tranny replaced along with tob, pilot bearing. It's hard to get excited about the car anymore. Might look into tradig in for a 19'. Maybe those have the bugs worked out.

Another note, local dealers are having a hell of a time moving the 18s. They have a ton. My salesman called me up asking if I want a blowout deal on one. I told him 19s only.

OP
OP

strike-eagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
Ask them to also check the rod side clearance. So how/why did they determine the ticking was coming from cylinders 2 and 3?
I'll try and ask, though my service advisor hasn't been overly helpful. No idea how they isolated it. I asked and my advisor said they figured it out once the oil pan was dropped.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I was hoping for a long block :( If anything else, I'm hoping this goes past 30 days so I can lemon law it.
I was told by the tech who did my engine swap up to a year ago Ford was doing long block replacements. Then they changed to short block replacements. That is now the fix. I guess if the engine self destructed you would get a long block.
Sponsored