Sponsored

Wrapped 2018 PP1 spoiler + new shift knob

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Had somebody asking about this in another thread so figured I'd just make a new one to share this.

I wanted the spoiler to be black to match the stripes. My paint guy wanted 200 to make sure it matched since the stripes are Avery Satin black. Straight matte or gloss would be easier and a bit cheaper he said, but he gave me some ideas on wrapping it.

First....I probably wouldn't do this again. The general areas like the top, front, and underneath areas were easy. The corners at each end required cutting and folding over so there are plenty of seams/lumps, but you don't really notice it unless you're up close. The only real bad part that I'm having trouble sticking down is on the back at either end just before the spoiler curves down. There's a weird lip under there that requires excessive stretching of the material to mold it all in.

Due to the size of the vinyl I could find, it's mostly sold in 5x sections (5x1, 5x2 etc.), and the spoiler would need at least 6 feet to get from end to end to cover it. So it was either a 5x7 piece which was expensive, or 2 5x1 pieces. So I did either side with 5x1 pieces, using 3m knifeless tape for the 2 middle areas (I just eyeballed both with the spoiler on the car over the existing stripes). And I actually like it better with the split up the middle.

I LOVE how it looks if I'm not scrutinizing it for seams and what-not. Matches the stripes and I actually like having the split match the racing stripes. I'm just concerned about the longevity of it in areas like the corners and the 2 bends at the ends. The bracket piece required some smaller pieces and a lot of relief cuts. I didn't do the 2 feet pieces because I thought it looked better without.

u4unIq6.jpg

9HkVo4P.jpg

NsVbInh.jpg

Raceseng Ashiko Translucent Red. Definitely a well-made piece. Much heavier than the OEM so it takes some getting used to. Barely have to touch it to shift, though I wish I had a shorter shifter because it just feels weird now. But a good weird I think, because any notchiness in the shifts is now gone, especially the 1-2 and 4-5 I had with mine. I also have big hands so this knob is perfect. No more accidentally grabbing the lockout starting in 1st. Installation is a breeze.

ieslmtL.jpg
Sponsored

scottycameron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP1 Orange Fury
Looks good,was thinking of wrapping mine but will probably just end up plasti-dip instead. Too many weird angles to wrap.

WalterArch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Had somebody asking about this in another thread so figured I'd just make a new one to share this.

I wanted the spoiler to be black to match the stripes. My paint guy wanted 200 to make sure it matched since the stripes are Avery Satin black. Straight matte or gloss would be easier and a bit cheaper he said, but he gave me some ideas on wrapping it.

First....I probably wouldn't do this again. The general areas like the top, front, and underneath areas were easy. The corners at each end required cutting and folding over so there are plenty of seams/lumps, but you don't really notice it unless you're up close. The only real bad part that I'm having trouble sticking down is on the back at either end just before the spoiler curves down. There's a weird lip under there that requires excessive stretching of the material to mold it all in.

Due to the size of the vinyl I could find, it's mostly sold in 5x sections (5x1, 5x2 etc.), and the spoiler would need at least 6 feet to get from end to end to cover it. So it was either a 5x7 piece which was expensive, or 2 5x1 pieces. So I did either side with 5x1 pieces, using 3m knifeless tape for the 2 middle areas (I just eyeballed both with the spoiler on the car over the existing stripes). And I actually like it better with the split up the middle.

I LOVE how it looks if I'm not scrutinizing it for seams and what-not. Matches the stripes and I actually like having the split match the racing stripes. I'm just concerned about the longevity of it in areas like the corners and the 2 bends at the ends. The bracket piece required some smaller pieces and a lot of relief cuts. I didn't do the 2 feet pieces because I thought it looked better without.

u4unIq6.jpg

9HkVo4P.jpg

NsVbInh.jpg

Raceseng Ashiko Translucent Red. Definitely a well-made piece. Much heavier than the OEM so it takes some getting used to. Barely have to touch it to shift, though I wish I had a shorter shifter because it just feels weird now. But a good weird I think, because any notchiness in the shifts is now gone, especially the 1-2 and 4-5 I had with mine. I also have big hands so this knob is perfect. No more accidentally grabbing the lockout starting in 1st. Installation is a breeze.

ieslmtL.jpg
Well done on the shifter. What really makes it pop is the red trim accent on the console. How did you pull that off?

Cheers!

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Well done on the shifter. What really makes it pop is the red trim accent on the console. How did you pull that off?

Cheers!
There's a thread for it, it's trim piping, specifically this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y58FM9K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fits in nicely. I re-did that part so it wraps back around past the knee plates and tucked in underneath. The top is done too but you can't see it with the glare. Did the passenger door and a few smaller parts. Tried the vents and perfpack gauges but that got to be too much IMO. Just enough to add some spice and color to the interior without being gaudy.

WalterArch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Very cool. Thanks for the link, I've never come across a product like this. You nailed it on the head with riding the line between accent and gaudy.
Sponsored