koala33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
2018 5.0 PP1.

Transmission is clunky and loud in most of the lower gears. From a stop, with the clutch pressed all of the way in, from neutrual shift as if you are going into first, but don't push up - give it a tap, maybe 1/8-1/4 inch. I feel a "slam" and hear it as well - a hard knock. Shifting to 2, 3, & 4 are all loud at times as well, definitely a clunky noise heard in and outside of the car. Took it to Ford they said that's just how these transmission are - the 350s have better transmission. Reading about aluminum forks and some cars losing gears, this worried me. Even if I don't break down, my car is shiftin like $^!* Take it back to Ford and say what? I am not trying to spend my life swapping loaners, but if I can make progress I will. I want to modify the car, but I need to make sure everything is tip top share before I void anything. Help is appreciated!
Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
You do know, that using a manual, you are moving gears right..? And that you will get a mechanical sound.

You make it sound, as if you never heard a manual shift before and are trying to explain that. Are you saying that it is LOUDER than before..? Or louder than other cars..? Clunkier than before... or clunkier than other cars..?

Go sit in another Mustang and press in the clutch and row the gears... hear anything..?

Wvmike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP
2018 5.0 PP1.

Transmission is clunky and loud in most of the lower gears. From a stop, with the clutch pressed all of the way in, from neutrual shift as if you are going into first, but don't push up - give it a tap, maybe 1/8-1/4 inch. I feel a "slam" and hear it as well - a hard knock. Shifting to 2, 3, & 4 are all loud at times as well, definitely a clunky noise heard in and outside of the car. Took it to Ford they said that's just how these transmission are - the 350s have better transmission. Reading about aluminum forks and some cars losing gears, this worried me. Even if I don't break down, my car is shiftin like $^!* Take it back to Ford and say what? I am not trying to spend my life swapping loaners, but if I can make progress I will. I want to modify the car, but I need to make sure everything is tip top share before I void anything. Help is appreciated!
Normal. They all do it. Just a noisy transmission.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I don't know about the 18 MT82 but it's normal for 15-17. It took some getting used to but I eventually figured out how to massage it just right when I want smooth shifting. Otherwise as someone said in another thread, I just turn the radio up and have fun.

Sponsored

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Swap out the gear oil for the amsoil synchromesh and you will never look back .

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
BG Syncro 2 fluid and MGW shifter made mine great!

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
They clunk. If it didn’t I’d be worried. It’s not a Honda.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
So, is it different than when you test drove it before taking delivery?

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Transmissions make noises. They clunk, whirr, and do other stuff.

It's normal.

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
I guess you could also get an oil analysis from Blackstone Labs: https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

I have no association with them except for ~10 years of engine oil analyses for my previous car (a Honda Fit 5MT - easy to shift, but not joyful). I had them run an oil analysis on the trans oil @ 50K when I switched it over to Red Line MTL. The test will tell you if there is anything strange going on in the trans, but you'd want to replace whatever you take out for the test. If you do a full fluid change, you can see if there is any sludge or metal building up in the bottom of the trans, and that will also give you a clue about what if anything is going on.

It's not unusual to find wear particles in the bottom of the trans, but not lots of metal if you've been shifting properly. I've been driving MT cars exclusively for the last 25+ years, from T-5 Mustangs to (primarily) muscle-years Mopars with the A833 4-speeds, and those are pretty loud transmissions. I have no experience with any of the MT's in S550's, so I can't give a comparison there.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
post #1 ranting and raving, then nothing...:cwl: