Sponsored

Hesitant on purchase..

TubbsMcGee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hey guys, so I'm looking at picking up a 2015 GT ( https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/cto/d/mustang-gt-premier-2015/6657968924.html ), problem is I've only had Japanese cars my entire life. Went from a Lexus LS430 to a G37 IPL and currently with a Yamaha R6. I've done my research and have decided to go with a 15-17 GT, don't wanna go with the 18 because of the recently risen problems. But after reading hours through forums and hearing people talk about the transmission issues with the mt82 and a/c not working, etc.. I guess I am a bit hesitant to jump on my purchase. Obviously there can be the random lemon here and there but should I not take all these forum posts too seriously and realize that there are a lot of silky smooth running mustangs out there over the problematic ones?
Sponsored

CommyO

Is it a v8?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 EB Premium PP
I wouldn't worry about that stuff OP. Forums are a very vocal minority

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
These 18 + up Mustang doomsayers are all in a panic cause the have zero clue it's the direct injection making normal uber high pressure noises lol.

scottycameron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP1 Orange Fury
I say you should stick with the Japanese imports. There's an inherent risk with buying a high horse power American muscle car that just isn't for everyone. They're not refined, they make lots of noises, high HP tends to make things go "snap"...

I think some people expect too much from a $35k, 460 HP car. At this price point there are going to be hard plastics, inconsistent panel gaps, some noises and rattles. I personally enjoy the idiosyncrasies, it gives the car it's own personality. As for the MT82, it's under warranty, so what if it breaks.

For the record, I just came from a Range Rover. $55k SUV that had the windshield start leaking 8 months into my lease, engine made god awful sounds, transmission never could figure out what gear it should be in and about as boring and sterile as a hospital waiting room...

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
There's going to be bad batches or defects in almost any car out there. I bought a new 2016 Miata- one of the first ones out. I read about a lot of tranny problems a few months later on the forums- and I had one of the early builds. But I had no problems at all with mine. It shifted and performed so good, to me. It could very well be how some were driven and used- we all drive differently and subject the cars to different stress levels.

The best thing to do in my opinion is to test drive a whole bunch of cars- even the same ones- and see how they drive. My 2017 Camaro with the A8 was a lemon and I wanted so much to trade it for another one- but with M/T. I test drove 3 different new ones, did not like the feel of any of them- it was the tracking that felt off. I test drove a C7 Vette (used) and it just didn't seem right- tracking, sound, crispness, etc. I started looking at Mustang GT's- drove a used 2017, track package, aftermarket exhaust, short throw shifter. I did not like the way it felt shifting. Then I saw the GT that I bought- I loved the color combo, the look and the price. The 2018 Mustang was not even on my list of cars to check out and I only test drove it to take it off of my list. I was so surprised- I test drove it twice even. The way it sounded, felt behind the wheel, the view, the simplicity of the design, but most importantly the way it felt and tracked going down the road and shifted. You buy the car you like and take your chances. I read about the breaking transmission forks in the MT82- does it have me worried- a little, yes. But I do not abuse the car, I don't track it and it's under warranty. But most important I LOVE driving it. So go test drive a bunch of cars- and buy the one you really like. You won't regret it.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
This is why I have a Japanese car and an American car!

I know someone will say that said Japanese car was built in America by Americans. While that may be true, they still follow stricter quality control standards. Something GM\Ford\Chrysler still haven't learned since I've been alive for 34 years.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
What recent problems on the 18’s??

Oh....you have been watching Boobtube. Internet always tells the truth. Remember that. Lol.

TTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 4Runner; '19 CRV; '06 Explorer; '17 Civic
OP - Some good comments above. Here are a few of my thoughts. I'm not sure of your age (I'm 46), but I think we share some concerns. When I was growing up and in high school our family had a 78 Ford van and an 83 Olds. Both generally ran ok and got us around from point A to point B but when those were passed down to me to drive around in (in high school and college - yea, not the coolest rides...) I was turned off by the quality and recurring issues (despite not really having any reference points at that age). We replaced radiator after radiator on the van, screws inside the vehicles were always popping out, oil leaked, transmission issues, etc. Then, when in grad school I was handed down a 91 Nissan Maxima. It was like a revelation. That was the first Japanese car my parents bought. My Dad stayed with Explorers for a number of years, but they later replaced the Maxima with a Toyota Avalon. (Today they own 2 Toyotas - I think mainly b/c my Dad was turned off by the Explorer moving to a car based platform) All of those Japanese cars were of really good quality and had no material issues.

Suffice it to say, I was (like probably millions of other people of my generation, as well as others) turned off by Ford/GM, and since the 91 Maxima, MY purchases as an adult have been a Honda Accord, Toyota Highlander, Toyota Sequoia, Toyota Highlander, and a 4Runner. All were excellent with no issues to speak of. Then, at long last, I thought I'd dip my toes into the American waters again and bought a 2016 GMC Yukon Denali. I think it goes without saying that the American cars are better than they have ever been. But, to this day I think they run a fair amount behind the Japanese quality standard (in general - there are exceptions of course). But the 2016 Yukon had lots of concerning issues early on (rough shifting trans, engine shudder in idle with the A8, trim about fell off outside (at year 1), malfunctioning nav screen --flickering, etc.). I dumped it after 1.5 years. It was probably a sign of things to come. I don't need that bullshit - PARTICULARLY at that price point. Traded it for a a Lexus GX 460. Solid as a vault, no issues, super vehicle. And, again, less expensive.

Anyway, you can see my trend in vehicles. I've wanted for a while now to deviate from the boring SUV and get a sporty car (with a reasonable price, so that limits things). I tested: Camaro (shitty view out), Challenger (horrible boat feel), Corvette (I liked it but concerned about the A8 trans, based on personal experience and accounts of others), 718 Cayman (sexy car that handles great but couldn't get excited about a 4 banger, plus maintenance and repair long-term would likely cost an arm and a leg), BMM M2 (rode like it was on rolling rocks), BMW M235i (kind-of fun, but BMW has its own issues and long-term maintenance repair costs), Audi TTS (decent ride, TTRS better yet, but not sure about styling and expensive to repair and maintain), and the Mustang. I really enjoyed the 2018 Mustang I test drove (with 10 speed). Sounded great, very fun to drive, reasonably priced, etc. So, I decided to take the plunge despite my history and perspective. I'm waiting on my 2019. I think it will be a hoot. The way I see it, if it turns into a problem vehicle I have a warranty and can always unload it in a few years. May even get an extended warranty (something like 6/60). But, I want to have the life experience of driving something fun like the Mustang GT. I think if it fits in your financial life you should go for it - give it a shot.

Last edited:

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I say you should stick with the Japanese imports. There's an inherent risk with buying a high horse power American muscle car that just isn't for everyone. They're not refined, they make lots of noises, high HP tends to make things go "snap"...

I think some people expect too much from a $35k, 460 HP car. At this price point there are going to be hard plastics, inconsistent panel gaps, some noises and rattles. I personally enjoy the idiosyncrasies, it gives the car it's own personality. As for the MT82, it's under warranty, so what if it breaks....
giphy.gif

Damn right. Sooooo many folks have ridiculous expectations of Mustangs. They're cheap cars, just buy the extended warranty and enjoy them.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
We have threads made by people freaking out that they hit 7k rpm and want to trade in the car as they are terrified they broke something.....don't take a lot of this forum seriously. One rattle or tick and its a lemon law, people talking about killing themselves if they had to sit in a base interior car, etc

And don't get me started on the statisticians. Ten people have an issue out of tens of thousands? That means every single car has the issue!

Sponsored

TTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 4Runner; '19 CRV; '06 Explorer; '17 Civic
I'll add this too: I'm willing to accept some minor Mustang issues (like some rattles, minor repairs) in light of the fact that the Mustang is a modestly price car, with fairly high performance (relative to say a Camry). It does something a Camry can't - provide a huge grin / fun factor.

That said, my 2019 will be a final proxy for all American manufacturers. If it turns into a lemon I don't think I'll be back again to purchase a Ford/GM/Dodge.etc.

Last edited:

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
OP, my last car was a 2007 Infiniti G35. While I'd say the Infiniti was a little more refined, I definitely love my Mustang much more. It's difficult to beat the sound of an American V8.

If you have any questions about the Mustang, post them here or shoot me a PM.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
The problem with forums is you have a lot of owners that have no idea how mechanical things works, and the at first little odd noise they scream that the car is a lemon. Also, I'm not sure what problems you are speaking of concerning the '18. We bought the bride an '18 GT 10 spd, and the car has been a pleasure, and so much fun to drive. If you would expand on that worry, and we'll try to help.

Also, buying a pre owned Mustang you can almost bet that if the car was going to have the problems you mentioned, it would have already reared it's ugly head and been fixed. Just do your due diligence by asking the dealer to run a maintenance report. It's all in their computer, oil changes, warranty work, etc. The may say they can't, but don't take no for an answer because they can. If they won't, walk away. There's something they don't want you to know.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
OP:

I sold my G37S two years ago. It was tuned and had full suspension done on it. If your coming from a G37 IPL you'll want to start with the PP and upgrade suspension as you see fit, or go with a base suspension and do a full rework. You'll definitely hate how the base suspension handles and probably wont be too happy with just the PP suspension either.

After selling it and buying the mustang (premium with base suspension) I really started to miss the G and wondered if I made the right decision. After a few months I purchased a tune and this really woke the car up and I started to warm up to it more. This spring I did all the suspension stuff in my Sig, and now there's no question the mustang is a better / more fun car.

There's still 2 things though I miss about the G. The stereo was amazing and so were the seats. The fit and finish on a japanese car will always be better with higher end materials but for the performance the mustang offers I was willing to trade off.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
The MT82 in the 15-17 is fine--it's just noisy and the rear end is sloppy-ish. I think it adds a bit of race car charm to the experience. As someone said, forums are a vocal minority. I always tell people that people who aren't having problems (the majority) aren't telling people on the internet--they're out driving and having fun. Get the car. Have a blast. As people have said in a similar way, you're buying an engine/tranny/suspension. You're not buying seamless, ultra high quality froo-froo interior parts and body panels. But that drivetrain and suspension, the moving parts, is incredible at the price point.
Sponsored