Sponsored

To lube or not to lube

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Hey guys,
I was getting my family car serviced and noticed one of the items on the check-list was 'inspect and lube suspension if needed'.

That got me thinking - I have a bunch of Steeda and BMR parts (see signature). Many of these with bearings.
Are we supposed to lube these (or other OEM suspension components) once in awhile? If so,
1) which components (vert links w bearings, knuckle bearings, shock mounts, red diff inserts, rear lca bearings etc)
2) how often
3) what lube? :cwl:

I did lube my BMR end links - the ball joints there are greasable.
I do get the creaking and thunking sounds that come with aftermarket suspensions using bearings/ball joints etc. Even the OEM S550 has its fair share of thunks and creaks in the suspension. I kinda like it - the whole car is very mechanical and analog feeling unlike most new performance cars including the M4, S5 etc.
Sponsored

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Any aftermarket part with a grease fitting should be hit at each oil change. I personally wouldn't worry about the non greaseable items unless I start hearing squeaks

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Just about any consumer street vehicle in the last 20 years has sealed suspension; no lube points. A lot of people wouldn't know what a grease gun was if you showed it to them.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Just about any consumer street vehicle in the last 20 years has sealed suspension; no lube points. A lot of people wouldn't know what a grease gun was if you showed it to them.
^^^ This. Usually stock parts are lubed for life.

If zerk fitting is there, and the rubber part is not "plump" then add some grease. Sometimes guys go overboard and end up splitting boots or popping out seals because they go hog wild on the grease gun. I am in that category to be honest. I've also been guilty of overtorquing things which is why I have to use a torque wrench on every bolt I tighten.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
If in doubt ask her.....
For your automotive needs be careful what you use .... some lubes will make things worse and shorten the life of what's there
Sponsored