Sponsored

For those that get window tint tickets

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Well, after 2.5 years of owning my car with tint all the way around I finally got pulled over. Funny thing is, as soon as I got off the freeway in West Covina the cop was ticketing some other guy. When I rolled by, the officer waved me down and asked me to pull over. Long story short, he got me for tinted windows and I now have to remove tint on both front windows and windshield. And yes, I will be putting the tint back, like others have said not only does it protect the interior, but it makes driving a lot better and keeps the glare down from other cars. I work all day under the sun, the last thing I want is to jump into bumper to bumper traffic with the sun burning me while sitting in traffic. Honestly, I really don't agree with this law but it's something we have to deal with. I've been driving for about 15 years and this is the second time I've been ticked for tinted windows. As long as they are not too dark, most cops leave you alone.
I have top of the line tint, so it'd actually be more expensive if I had to remove and re-install the tint on the windshield/door windows than to pay the $350~ ticket I got when I went down to LA for just a couple days of vacation a few years back. I ended up paying the full fine, and it's one of the reasons why I haven't brought my GT350 down there yet.
Sponsored

CFUG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Its not for night use, its for day. Tint helps preserve the interior, keeps the leather cooler,keeps the car from heating up while driving during the day etc.

Idk about removing my windows lol Peel the tint off, get it re-tinted whatever no biggy. CA law says the sides and front window cant be tinted. From front windows back, you can go as dark as you like.

Fun info. Back in the day my dad was a Cop, and many police departments came to him wanting to push this tint law. He "a higher ranking cop" said no its ridiculous to pass this law. Most PD's disagreed with him, and here we are today.

I well aware of the benefits of tint. But, once t's on you live with it day and night. I've driven many vehicles with illegal tint during my days of car repair and even at dusk, it impacts proper vision.

Zcobra1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Ferrari 360, Viper GTS, C6-Z06, 70'Trans Am
Just do 50 on the front sides and 80/85 on windshield, eliminates 98% of cop hassles...

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Just do 50 on the front sides and 80/85 on windshield, eliminates 98% of cop hassles...
CA tint law is nothing on the windshield, and 88% (or 70 combined with factory) on the front sides. No limit on the back. That being said, cops are probably not going to hassle you for 90% windshield, 50-70% on the sides because they won't be able to tell the difference with the naked eye. Modern tints block the IR spectrum (heat) at 98% even with 80-90% transmission of visible light. So if you don't want to get hassled, just get some nice 3M Crystalline or Llumar and be done with it.
Sponsored