Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Bottom Line Up Front: I should have installed the IRS braces sooner...they are an incredible value for the given performance benefits and improvement in ride quality.

Background: When I purchased the S550 Mustang chassis, I never felt that the independent rear suspension really needed much of an improvement as it was predictable enough, stable, and I don't drag race or incur wheel-hop when driving.

Why I Chose to Install the IRS Braces: Steeda had a big sale a few weeks ago so I said why not; I'll see for myself if the hype is true.

Installation: the install took approximately 20 minutes (lift used). I put the forward-most bolt in first and kept it VERY loose, then I installed the rear most bolt (very loose), and then loosely fit the rest. Once all in place, I tightened them down from the outside in. No drilling required.

Driving Feedback: The ride-quality and improved refinement I obtained with these pieces is noticeable and very pleasing; now I see why many folks insist on IRS modifications early on. I drove the car for hours following the install and was totally impressed with the braces' ability to reduce oscillations (vertical & horizontal) in the rear of the car. Roads that normally would give the rear a slight left-to-right jiggle at low speed (25mph or lower) no longer had an ill effect. At speed the car feels more balanced in the turns, as if my Mustang now had a 50/50 weight ratio. I was very surprised at this, as I felt I had reached the pinnacle of turn-in and cornering balance.

Conclusion: the Steeda IRS braces are without-a-doubt worth getting. The bang-for-the-buck factor puts these along side of the clutch-assist spring in the "must do" modifications for the S550 Mustang.

That's it for now. As with my other reviews I'll keep updating this post as I put more miles on. I'll be driving about 2500 kilometers on the Alps' best roads next week, so I'll be able to really put these braces to the test and report back. Have a good one.

- Mike
IMG_6552.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Bottom Line Up Front: I should have installed the IRS braces sooner...they are an incredible value for the given performance benefits and improvement in ride quality.

Background: When I purchased the S550 Mustang chassis, I never felt that the independent rear suspension really needed much of an improvement as it was predictable enough, stable, and I don't drag race or incur wheel-hop when driving.

Why I Chose to Install the IRS Braces: Steeda had a big sale a few weeks ago so I said why not; I'll see for myself if the hype is true.

Installation: the install took approximately 20 minutes (lift used). I put the forward-most bolt in first and kept it VERY loose, then I installed the rear most bolt (very loose), and then loosely fit the rest. Once all in place, I tightened them down from the outside in. No drilling required.

Driving Feedback: The ride-quality and improved refinement I obtained with these pieces is unbelievable; now I see why many folks insist on IRS modifications early on. I drove the car for hours following the install and was totally impressed with the braces' ability to reduce oscillations (vertical & horizontal) in the rear of the car. Roads that normally would give the rear a slight left-to-right jiggle at low speed (25mph or lower) no longer had an ill effect. Roads that would negatively highlight my higher springs rates with a slight oscillation up-and-down at lower speeds (~35mph) were no longer a problem AT ALL. The car now feels 100% "planted" and has the utmost refinement even when compared to my former BMWs, Corvettes, and prized Z31 300ZXs from the late 1980s. At speed the car feels more balanced in the turns, as if my Mustang now had a 50/50 weight ratio. I was very surprised at this, as I felt I had reached the pinnacle of turn-in and cornering balance with my spring and damper combo along with a full-stiff rear sway bar; I was wrong...the IRS braces made the balance significantly better. Smoother, crisper, and largely more predictable. As far as wheel-hop, I really can't give any feedback on this as I don't drive the car in a way that would induce this in the first place, but my best guess says that the frame-to-IRS bracing will certainly help.

Conclusion: the Steeda IRS braces are without-a-doubt worth getting. The bang-for-the-buck factor puts these along side of the clutch-assist spring in the "must do" modifications for the S550 Mustang.

That's it for now. As with my other reviews I'll keep updating this post as I put more miles on. I'll be driving about 2500 kilometers on the Alps' best roads next week, so I'll be able to really put these braces to the test and report back. Have a good one, and kudos to Steeda for another great product.

- Mike
IMG_6552.jpg

EDIT #1: I forgot to mention that another reason I was hesitant to try rear bracing was in fear of adding more weight for no tangible performance gain. Clearly there is a performance gain, as stated above, but the Steeda braces are also very light weight. Forgive me for not putting them onto a scale prior to install; perhaps someone can chime-in with a true weight figure.
Roadway,Thank you for your review and comments! I will post the weight shortly.

Steeda Tech

Flipside

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, Oxford White,
Definitely my next mod. Thanks for the review.

Sponsored

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
I added the subframe alignment kit, and the subframe inserts and was blown away at how much more planted the rear end feels. Next on my list is the rear braces to complete the 'stop the hop' starter kit.

Great products!
Sponsored