Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Quick update:

The short block is going in but the OPG arrived with damage. There some chips on the outer edge of the gear housing. I contacted LMR and they are processing the return. I'm moving on without it right now and just having the crank spline replaced with the a/m one. This is at no cost. If I were to wait for LMR it wouldn't be till Friday or Monday before ANY more work can be done on the car. It's been 3 weeks, im sick of waiting. I will most likely install it myself down the road if I decide to s/c the motor.

The service advisor stated the car doesn't look like it'll be all back together today. I've asked the service manager if the tech inspected and measured the crankshaft and rod bearings, and the journals on the crankshaft. I'll post back with the answer on that. Given that tech is already installing the new motor I'm suspicious on how much they actually looked over the old motor.
Glad I went with MMR instead of Boundry.
Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
From the service manual:
Capture.JPG

In that video showing the excessive rod side clearance, you can see the big clearance gap when the guy moves the rods back and forth on the crankshaft. I'd estimate that gap to be way over 1 mm, and the spec limit is 0.5 mm.

OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Looks like the car will be going home with me today. Install of the short block was done and they had it started this morning, no tick. They are periodically starting it and letting it heat up before I come to pick it up just to make sure the tick is 100% gone.

Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like the car will be going home with me today. Install of the short block was done and they had it started this morning, no tick. They are periodically starting it and letting it heat up before I come to pick it up just to make sure the tick is 100% gone.
Lucky you. Still waiting.

OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Had to take the car back. Its leaking oil from somewhere on the motor.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully a simple fix.

OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
As it turns out it was a leaking valve cover gasket. They pinched the gasket when installing the cover.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
As it turns out it was a leaking valve cover gasket. They pinched the gasket when installing the cover.
Good to hear it was simple. Checked my oil and also around the block. No leaks.

Sponsored

mellow_yellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I just saw this thread and noticed that you're also in Phoenix. I dropped my car off at the Chapman dealership under similar circumstances. I bought the car a little over a week and a half ago and decided I would take it to Autonation Ford for an oil change earlier this week, after I picked the car up I noticed it was making the same exact ticking noise as yours in the video. I have barely 9700 miles on it. I am hoping they can get to the bottom of this and figure out what the hell is going on.

OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I just saw this thread and noticed that you're also in Phoenix. I dropped my car off at the Chapman dealership under similar circumstances. I bought the car a little over a week and a half ago and decided I would take it to Autonation Ford for an oil change earlier this week, after I picked the car up I noticed it was making the same exact ticking noise as yours in the video. I have barely 9700 miles on it. I am hoping they can get to the bottom of this and figure out what the hell is going on.
Oh hey fellow Phoenician. My service advisor was Ryan Jensen. The service manager Robert rose was nice to work with. If they flat agree that the tick isn't normal you can probably be certain that they'll get the job done.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
2016 gt with 24k miles bone stock. Just had oil changed two days ago at dealer. All service done at dealer. Very bad tick after engine is nice and warm between 1000-2000 rpm.

Noticed this happens after the last few changes but the tick sound gets louder after every change. Does appear to diminish after about 1000 miles. Have an appt Monday. Been driving the piss out of it.

OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
2016 gt with 24k miles bone stock. Just had oil changed two days ago at dealer. All service done at dealer. Very bad tick after engine is nice and warm between 1000-2000 rpm.

Noticed this happens after the last few changes but the tick sound gets louder after every change. Does appear to diminish after about 1000 miles. Have an appt Monday. Been driving the piss out of it.
Good luck sir. That's about the same mileage as me. Same year.

mellow_yellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Welp....got an update. They called me today and said they were able to hear the noise, and Ford had told them to replace the "aftermarket" oil filter (which makes no sense, considering I had just gotten it changed at a Ford dealership) with another one, and the tech stated he had done that and that the engine was still ticking.

They called them again but are unlikely to get a response back from Ford until Monday, so I will have to wait until then but I am not banking on getting this car back by the end of the month, probably won't even see it until next month.
Sponsored