afraid of the 2018 GT? buy now or no?

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
Someone even bought up "Price a fully loaded Camry". Ok. A fully loaded, XLE Camry new on the lot is $30k. So you're $20k off. It's not the same kind of car, so the comparison is stupid.
I am the moron that brought up the Camry because they wanted cheap reliability. The thing is I just went and built one in their website and it was $39,000! Loaded since we are comparing it to a loaded mustang. The fact that it isn't the same type of car is the point. Toyota focuses on build quality which is why you get that car for that price. Pony cars are focused on performance value which is why you get these cars for the price we do with the trade offs we do. My first car was a mustang fully loaded for $28,000. Now a base GT is above $30,000, but is a hell of lot faster, handles better and has much better build quality than the new edge days. All those things cost more money. I don't think $50,000 is cheap and for the record I would not pay that for a GT but I am realistic and there is no free lunch in life something will be compromised to meet a price point. I do however think they should painlessly fix problems when they arise as that goes to the character of the company and would prevent a lot of the frustration people are having about this.
Sponsored

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
You're off about a magnitude on your sales figures. Ford sold about 5k mustangs in total last month. 80% were definitely not GTs. 10% would be reasonable.
You are probably pretty close on the 10% guess. I do think that Infidex was making is also true, that it is only a handful (in comparison to the total built) that have had issues. Now the issues are still suspect base on how each car is treated...mods, how they are being used (abused?), break-in etc.

To date, no one has posted what the root cause was to any engine that was replaced (which on my internet sleuthing is very small). Not saying there isn't an issue or people have not had them, but many unknown factors at this point has only shown me that whatever is going on is no different than any other mfr. especially one that can so easily be abused.

Also at this point none of the major car mags, consumer reports popular car bloggers etc are even mentioning engine failure. The long term tests I have seen have all gotten high marks. The only thing I have seen complaints on are subjective, not actual issues. I feel bad for those caught up in the hysteria. It is like walking into a dark room and see someone run out scared only to find that the room was filled with normal stuff like chairs and a TV. Your first reaction is to go running too until you find out it is just normal room stuff. LOL.

To the original OP, whether you buy a mustang or not, just be aware that any car you buy could have a problem, but if you treat it right your chances of buying a problem (mustang or otherwise) is very low.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I am the moron that brought up the Camry because they wanted cheap reliability. The thing is I just went and built one in their website and it was $39,000! Loaded since we are comparing it to a loaded mustang. The fact that it isn't the same type of car is the point. Toyota focuses on build quality which is why you get that car for that price. Pony cars are focused on performance value which is why you get these cars for the price we do with the trade offs we do. My first car was a mustang fully loaded for $28,000. Now a base GT is above $30,000, but is a hell of lot faster, handles better and has much better build quality than the new edge days. All those things cost more money. I don't think $50,000 is cheap and for the record I would not pay that for a GT but I am realistic and there is no free lunch in life something will be compromised to meet a price point. I do however think they should painlessly fix problems when they arise as that goes to the character of the company and would prevent a lot of the frustration people are having about this.
Just for the record: I wanted to clear up that I did NOT say you were a moron or anything of the sort. Just that the comparison was stupid. There's a difference. :beer::fistbump:

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
If I was going to own a track rat, I wouldn't spend that kind of money. You can build serious track monsters for far cheaper than $50k. Unless you're going to tell me that you want the leather seats, Shaker system, etc. etc. for the track.
Christ almighty, you're pretentious. Again, quit bitching and do it. Personally, I wanted the Recaros and I wanted the digital cluster that'll monitor all parameters of the car on track. With that, i had to get leather. The shaker system was a last minute (successful) attempt to delay my build date, as I hadn't moved back from Germany as early as I was expecting.

I didn't brag, I defended myself against a stupid comment. You don't get in a positive financial position by making poor decisions. The comment that "The only reason someone didn't buy xxxxx (insert highest level of ANY CAR EVER MADE) is because they can't afford it", "The only reason someone wouldn't like xxxxx (same thing) is because they can't afford it" is stupid and has been around since the internet.
See, here you're just putting words in my mouth. Not once did I say you were "bragging", I told you that if you have the money to buy a better car, then quit bitching and do it. I also never said "The only reason someone didn't buy a Mustang is because they can't afford it", I said that the only people who think a mustang is EXPENSIVE just can't afford it. The combination of performance, amenities, and quality are unbeatable at the price point, so if you think it's "too expensive", there's no reason to think that other than you simply can't afford it.

I bought my car because I liked it. I didn't buy it because Jesus himself put it together and it is without fault. Is it the best performance bargain out there? Not even close. Best performance bargain would be a Fox with about $20k to spend on it.
See, this is how I know you're clueless. No, a Fox with 20k wouldn't be a better value, because in the end, it's still a barebones car with a garbage interior, dreadful chassis, abysmal aerodynamics, and no warranty

Any idiot who says $50k is not a lot of money is the one with their head up their rear. Someone even bought up "Price a fully loaded Camry". Ok. A fully loaded, XLE Camry new on the lot is $30k. So you're $20k off. It's not the same kind of car, so the comparison is stupid. I bought one for the wife about six months back. Great car, zero issues, etc. Everything you expect from a Toyota. BUT...it has ZERO fun factor really, at least for me.
"A lot of money" is a relative term. Is $50k a lot of money for a base model Civic? yes. is $50k a lot of money for a car that puts down numbers to embarrass an M3 while not holding back on any of the amenities? Absolutely not.

Also, you're wrong. A Camry XSE with no options STARTS at $35k. A fully loaded one comes in at $38k, or in other words, higher than the price of a base GT.

I also bought the Mustang because it's about the 31st one I've owned. I've seriously lost count. I like Mustangs for the sound, look, and I USED TO like them for the community. In person, it seems to be pretty much a bunch of cool guys/gals getting together, hanging out, etc. The online forums though have always been some of the worst places on the internet (Stangnet, SVTPerformance, etc.). I thought I'd give this one a try and it seems like it's pretty good, spare a couple of people who represent the typical BS.
meh, quit bitching. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. Don't say dumb shit, and people won't treat you like you're dumb

Speaking the truth about the car you own isn't "bitching". You forget, the OP asked for opinions and as an owner of an '18 I have a right to give mine. The fact that you don't like it doesn't mean I'm "bitching".
But the issue is, you don't "speak the truth". You spew over-opinionated bullshit and incomplete conclusions and hope that someone is dumb enough to take your BS. Again, if you don't like the car, and you can afford something better, then quit bitching and get something better.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Would love to get it tuned, but when I had an issue with my PCM the dealer was quick to ask if it had been tuned and point out that, if so, I wouldn't have a warranty. SO.....no tune for now.
Wait a minute. You bought a Mustang for $15K under sticker because you have a great relationship with the dealer, but he's going to throw you to the wind for a warranty claim if it's tuned? I smell a lot of crap being spread around here.

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Wait a minute. You bought a Mustang for $15K under sticker because you have a great relationship with the dealer, but he's going to throw you to the wind for a warranty claim if it's tuned? I smell a lot of crap being spread around here.
It's okay, he's been throwing BS all over these forums. Apparently, he's built wingless mustangs that produce more downforce than the FP350S :facepalm:

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Everyone has their own opinion of what is expensive to them...it's all relative.

$50k is expensive, to me, for a Mustang that doesn't have "Shelby" written on it.
And this is where you fail. It's not subjective (relative) at all.

"Expensive" or "cheap" is based on market category comparison, not what you, your friends, or anyone else buys, or anyone's income.

That a $50K Mustang is "expensive" to you is immaterial. That a $50K Mustang has the same/similar performance, appeal and tech/accessories as a $75K BMW M car is. Mustangs are cheap cars, and you can either acknowledge that like an adult, or keep crying and whinning like a petulant child, sticking your fingers in your ears because you don't want to hear the truth.

Psssst!!!! Hey.......BlueThunder!!!

You bought a cheap shit car. Yes, you. You did.

Last edited:

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
And this is where you fail.

"Expensive" or "cheap" is based on market category comparison, not what you, your friends, or anyone else buys, or anyone's income.

That a $50K Mustang is "expensive" to you is immaterial. That a $50K Mustang has the same/similar performance, appeal and tech/accessories as a $75K BMW M car is. Mustangs are cheap cars, and you can either acknowledge that like an adult, or keep crying and whinning like a petulant child, sticking your fingers in your ears because you don't want to hear the truth.

Psssst!!!! Hey.......BlueThunder!!!

You bought a cheap shit car. Yes, you. You did.
Don't forget he got it for $15K below MSRP due to his relationship with the dealer. The dealer was willing to lose money on a new car for him.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I can see I've got a fan club going. In my first week too!

Thanks guys!

However, since there's nothing constructive coming from you obviously high-school-aged kids, I'll have to put you on the ignore list. Not enough time to waste on ignorant people.

809.png

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hoooo boy, who would've guessed the pretentious cunt would presume we're just "h8rz' and block us?

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
While I disagree with a lot of what blue said, I don't agree that Ford quality has always been bad. My last Mustang had an issue with synchros, covered under warranty. The first replacement didn't work, so I ended up with a new trans. Other than that, there wasn't a single issue with the car. I beat on that 4.6L daily, melted tires, hard shifted, and even played in the snow, but it kept going. No engine rattles, no knocking, and nothing to worry about but changing the oil. There were few people on the S197 forums with major issues.
This morning, during "cold" slow running, I could hear the engine rattle louder than ever. My hot temp engine rattle is the same, but cold is getting worse. I fear I won't be able to hold out for a TSB. There should be a level of "buyer beware" with the '18 model, especially for guys wanting to do some simple bolt-on mods with the car.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Lol...

Maybe Blue Tunder ought to start a Boobtube channel.
comingsoon_640.jpg

While I disagree with a lot of what blue said, I don't agree that Ford quality has always been bad. My last Mustang had an issue with synchros, covered under warranty. The first replacement didn't work, so I ended up with a new trans. Other than that, there wasn't a single issue with the car. I beat on that 4.6L daily, melted tires, hard shifted, and even played in the snow, but it kept going. No engine rattles, no knocking, and nothing to worry about but changing the oil. There were few people on the S197 forums with major issues.
This morning, during "cold" slow running, I could hear the engine rattle louder than ever. My hot temp engine rattle is the same, but cold is getting worse. I fear I won't be able to hold out for a TSB. There should be a level of "buyer beware" with the '18 model, especially for guys wanting to do some simple bolt-on mods with the car.
My 1999 GT was the most reliable car I have owned. I beat the snot out of that 4.6L 2V and it kept begging for more. I bought it with 20k miles on it and drove it to 110k miles. No major issues with it at all. That kind of set the benchmark for my Ford expectations. Maybe I just got a good one? I know the 4.6L is a tough block.

My 2010 Roush 427R has been good to me, but I don't drive that one much. It's gone 25k miles and most of those were babied weekend miles to car shows, etc. I do believe the S197 3V V8 is a good motor as well.

I just wish I could trust the quality on my '18 as much as those cars.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
You guys have to keep in mind, we're talking about cars that were in a similar price range compared to the competition, but were severely subpar to the competition (like the M3). As has been previously mentioned, you can pick 2 of the following; Cost, Performance/amenities, Reliability. exceeding expectations in all 3 will never happen

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
You guys have to keep in mind, we're talking about cars that were in a similar price range compared to the competition, but were severely subpar to the competition (like the M3). As has been previously mentioned, you can pick 2 of the following; Cost, Performance/amenities, Reliability. exceeding expectations in all 3 will never happen
Haha there is one car though...….
Sponsored