YOLO

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06, Lexus GS350
The GT350 is definitely set up for the road course. I was at the track last Monday and there was a C7 Z06 'vette there. The guy driving it was really nice. He apologized for not getting out of my way more quickly. Now he wasn't on the correct line, but I was surprised the Z06 didn't really pull on the GT350 on the straights either.
I guarantee my Z06 is waaaaaaaaay faster on the straights than a 350. Must have been one of those so-called wannabee drivers who get in the way.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I guarantee my Z06 is waaaaaaaaay faster on the straights than a 350. Must have been one of those so-called wannabee drivers who get in the way.
I thought the Z06 would be a lot faster than my GT350 as well. It makes a lot more power and it's a lighter car as well. I didn't expect that result either. Have you been on a road course with GT350s?

The Hellcat Charger that was at the track was significantly faster than my GT350 on a long straight, but the Z06 was only slightly faster at best. Yes he wasn't a great driver by any means, but it doesn't take much driver skill to push the loud pedal all the way down. Possibly the Z06 had some heat soak going on. It wasn't a hot day, but I understand that can happen to supercharged engines at the road course. Of course if the car breaks the tires loose at 110 mph+ maybe he was afraid to floor it. I know I had the pedal down all the way from ~40mph at the start of the straight to well over 150 mph at the end in my GT350.

YOLO

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06, Lexus GS350
I thought the Z06 would be a lot faster than my GT350 as well. It makes a lot more power and it's a lighter car as well. I didn't expect that result either. Have you been on a road course with GT350s?

The Hellcat Charger that was at the track was significantly faster than my GT350 on a long straight, but the Z06 was only slightly faster at best. Yes he wasn't a great driver by any means, but it doesn't take much driver skill to push the loud pedal all the way down. Possibly the Z06 had some heat soak going on. It wasn't a hot day, but I understand that can happen to supercharged engines at the road course. Of course if the car breaks the tires loose at 110 mph+ maybe he was afraid to floor it. I know I had the pedal down all the way from ~40mph at the start of the straight to well over 150 mph at the end in my GT350.

I don't consider my Z06 a track car, that's one of the reasons I'm getting a GT350.

This Z is scary fast if you are in a low gear and floor it. In a straight line a 350 ain't gonna touch it. 650HP vs 526HP and at least 300lbs less weight.

I actually think the Camaro with 650HP handles the track better than the Z06.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Several of us have had this happen on the track. It's odd because we know it shouldn't be like that.

I purposely lined up behind a ZL1 1LE last track outing to play with him, he ended up being a pretty slow driver in the technical sections and on the front straight he would put maybe a car length on me (which gets up to just about 100). The back straight, over 100, he would start to put some distance on me (2-4 car lengths, around 134mph) but up to that number I wasn't very impressed with it having 130 hp more than my car.

I assume it's heat, and the car is pulling timing.

YOLO

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06, Lexus GS350
Several of us have had this happen on the track. It's odd because we know it shouldn't be like that.

I purposely lined up behind a ZL1 1LE last track outing to play with him, he ended up being a pretty slow driver in the technical sections and on the front straight he would put maybe a car length on me (which gets up to just about 100). The back straight, over 100, he would start to put some distance on me (2-4 car lengths, around 134mph) but up to that number I wasn't very impressed with it having 130 hp more than my car.

I assume it's heat, and the car is pulling timing.

That's why the Supercharged Camaro is better than the Z06 for the track. The Camaro has several more radiators, no heat issues.

Sponsored

SpursFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I ran my buddies z06 from about 40 and he barely put 3 cars on me up to about 120. His response...."damn what would that do with some boost"

My response "lol what a POS"

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
That's why the Supercharged Camaro is better than the Z06 for the track. The Camaro has several more radiators, no heat issues.
The Camaros, while better, still have the issue.

One member on here ran a pretty hot day and said 4 ZL1 1LEs overheated and went into limp mode within 18 minutes at COTA.

Natural aspiration seems like it's the best option for a track car. Not to mention you get to a point where the extra power has diminishing returns on track.

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
Doesn't it come down to self control? If you are a crack head giving more crack to help feed your addiction would be a bad idea, same thing applies to speed junkies driving on the street. Yeah you would rarely find a place to use all that HP but when you do have an open road setting with no traffic or happen upon another car maybe exotic or Z06/Demon etc in the lane next to you with an open road chances are you would take the opportunity to use that power.

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
What about 3,000 HP???
I'm afraid I still have to side with Carol Shelby 3000hp still isn't to much. But it's a real bitch trying to get that much horse power to hook up.

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The 460 HP is actually more than I will ever use or need for my street driving. I love a very sporty, nice sounding car with manual transmission. There is really not much to choose from out there. I originally went with a Camaro- and with an automatic and V6. It had no sound at all but plenty of power. I hated the automatic and had so many problems with the automatic I traded it for my GT. And I would not want a turbo 4- just not my thing in a car like this.

I like power to be able to get away from and out of the way of bad drivers out there. Some times it means out accelerating a Camry or Corolla that the driver knows two pedal positions- floored or idling.

Most of the time the car is loafing at 1500 RPM and it has so much power that it accelerates effortlessly and allows me to get out in front, then over to another lane. I don't have to concentrate plan, floor it, then wait. I could have probably been happy with a 300 or 350 HP V8.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

If the Z06 has the Stage 2 or 3 aero kit the drag penalty is incredibly alarming after 120 MPH.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
There's a photo of the Corvette.
BIR Aug 2018.JPG