Sponsored

What's the fastest baby seat for my GT?!

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
To start - any quality rear facing seat will do. Don't bother with a removable seat w/ base, as you won't be taking the seat in and out of the vehicle (you're going to learn quickly that a Mustang with an infant is a total pain, as you will wake the child often while taking them in and out of the car).

Once they switch to forward facing (3+ years or so, depending on the size of the child), you'll want a seat that doesn't take up much room. The Diono Radian R100 is highly rated for the Mustang, as it isn't bulky, has a narrow base, and is very safe.

No matter what you choose, try to find a wedge / base to fill in some of the seat bolstering back there. You don't want the seat to be moving around too much, and cramming a seat into the bolstering is going to crush your rear seats and potentially damage the material back there.
Sponsored

OP
OP

jimmybuffit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP 50th Year
Good post Bravo, thanks.

I'm not sure how often we will even need to use the mustang with the baby over my wife's car but maybe i can get away with waiting and purchasing a forward facing seat in a few years.

I wanted to see if you can clarify on what you meant by a wedge or base. All that comes to mind is one of those foam donuts people use when they have hemroids lol or a neck pillow for air travel. Do you know of something similar that you can direct me in? I know what you mean being the rear sits are very bucket like.

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
To start - any quality rear facing seat will do. Don't bother with a removable seat w/ base, as you won't be taking the seat in and out of the vehicle (you're going to learn quickly that a Mustang with an infant is a total pain, as you will wake the child often while taking them in and out of the car).

Once they switch to forward facing (3+ years or so, depending on the size of the child), you'll want a seat that doesn't take up much room. The Diono Radian R100 is highly rated for the Mustang, as it isn't bulky, has a narrow base, and is very safe.

No matter what you choose, try to find a wedge / base to fill in some of the seat bolstering back there. You don't want the seat to be moving around too much, and cramming a seat into the bolstering is going to crush your rear seats and potentially damage the material back there.
I found that getting a kid into a rear facing seat that DOESN'T come out is nearly impossible. Especially if they are wiggling or crying. It literally involved me getting in through the drivers side, sitting in the back seat with the kid in my lap, then sliding her over into the seat without bending her backwards or anything weird. It was a nightmare. With the seat I linked earlier, the base stays in the car and the carseat+child can fit through the opening between passenger seat and B pillar. Passenger seat is slid all the way forward btw.

Good post Bravo, thanks.

I'm not sure how often we will even need to use the mustang with the baby over my wife's car but maybe i can get away with waiting and purchasing a forward facing seat in a few years.

I wanted to see if you can clarify on what you meant by a wedge or base. All that comes to mind is one of those foam donuts people use when they have hemroids lol or a neck pillow for air travel. Do you know of something similar that you can direct me in? I know what you mean being the rear sits are very bucket like.
I said the same thing at first, since we have a 2014 Fusion and that was going to be the family car. Well.... much more fun to go in the Mustang. Daughter even knows/mimics the sound and it's known as papa's car. That alone is worth it. Also with babysitting arrangements and work schedules, it's basically impossible to be confined to using one 'family' car all the time.

If you have any large baby supply stores nearby (like Babie's R Us used to be), they usually allow you to take a car seat out to your car and test fit it. Don't be shy about doing this if you have the opportunity.

As for a wedge, since the back seats are bucket seats, they slope downwards. I use a rolled up white towel (don't use a dyed one in case it leaks the dye in the heat). I also have a seat protector (Munchkin Auto Seat Protector) under the base to prevent it from cutting into the leather and from any spills/snacks/bodily fluids from getting on the seats.

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
I found that getting a kid into a rear facing seat that DOESN'T come out is nearly impossible. Especially if they are wiggling or crying. It literally involved me getting in through the drivers side, sitting in the back seat with the kid in my lap, then sliding her over into the seat without bending her backwards or anything weird. It was a nightmare. With the seat I linked earlier, the base stays in the car and the carseat+child can fit through the opening between passenger seat and B pillar. Passenger seat is slid all the way forward btw.
That's a good point - I guess it would be worth trying out a removable seat w/base. It's been a while since I've had an infant, so I forget how awkward it would be to have to climb out back and buckle them in every time.

STEVO 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT
That's a good point - I guess it would be worth trying out a removable seat w/base. It's been a while since I've had an infant, so I forget how awkward it would be to have to climb out back and buckle them in every time.

I concur. The removable seat was a blessing when my boy was a baby. Toss him in the seat before going out to the truck and just drop it into the base. We also had the stroller that the same seat would lock into. He'd pass out in that seat and we could move him around without waking him up.

I didn't get my Stang until my boy was front facing. I can't imagine dealing with a non removable rear facing seat in a two door. No thank you.

Sponsored

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
Well, it's come time for me to upgrade from the infant seat. Daughter is 36 inches and 23 months old now, so we decided to look for a convertible seat that would fit and be safe. I settled on the Diono Radian 3RXT (in yellow of course). There is no way it would fit rear-facing and still allow for a passenger in the front. Passenger seatback was literally upright and it still was pushing the car seat awkwardly. Her being basically 2 years old and bigger for her age, we decided to go ahead and flip her forward-facing in my car.
IMG_9659a.jpg
IMG_9662a.jpg
IMG_9664a.jpg
IMG_9667a.jpg
IMG_9668a.jpg

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
I have a premium Recaro Forward facing seat just collecting dust in my Garage. Have to look at the year on it my daughter is 6 now and doesn't need it. It has canvas interior similar to Carhart material, so it is pretty resilient. Weighs a ton, but you should not be racing at the moment lol.

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
we used the rear facing click into base that can also click into stroller. (cant remember brand) now that both kids are old enough we have recaros for both of them. Only issue is at least in Michigan they dont sell recaros anymore. we ended up actually buying our second one and having it shipped from poland. was still cheaper than allot of the seats on the market. In my opinion a company that makes seats for race cars is much better than a kids seat company that also makes baby bottles and pacifiers.

AAI Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350 HEP
So you guys were able to find a rear facing click into base car seat that allows a passenger to sit in the front seat?
My wife will be happy to hear that if so

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
It was a graco for the infant carrier and the wife would have to slide her seat up a little but it is definitely doable. Now with both of the kids in forward facing it’s actually pretty easy. I am 5’11 and can sit in my normal position with my daughter behind me.

Sponsored

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

95civic2005

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Does anybody chicco keyfit 30 in their Mustang? Does it fit?
I do and yes it fits no problem. My wife in the passenger seat has room but not a ton but then again the 05 CTS-V I had wasn’t much better.
Sponsored