Sponsored

Cracked calipers?

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
Casting failure and glad you caught it. I had a bad casting on the tailpiece of a transmission in a new Corvette (sorry). Drove it home and fluid poured out onto my driveway. Towed it back to the dealer and they had to completely replace the trans with less than 100 miles on the car. Good times.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Niz55

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Brembo told me I have to contact my dealer.

Anyways, I explained the situation to the service advisor and he said i probably damaged it when I was taking out the caliper . Lol

I already knew I was going to get a answer like this.

Parts guy hooked me up for $196 plus free overnight from Chicago.

OP
OP
Niz55

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I also have to give them my original or else they will charge me $50 core.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Anyways, I explained the situation to the service advisor and he said i probably damaged it when I was taking out the caliper . Lol
I F&$%ing hate that crap. You know what dude...$196 is an extremely small price to pay, and you know why?? If they had been putting brakes on your car, they would have never in a million years caught that crack. They'd put that thing back on and sent you on your way. I know they say pick your battles, but you should have shot back with that.

OP
OP
Niz55

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I could of argued with them, but you and I know and everyone else that it wouldn't gone no where.

Plus I am in a situation i can't and won't put it back on.

Hubs are out
Rotors are out
Calipers are out
Brake lines disconnected

See not worth it....

Honestly I cant just walk in the dealer and hand them my caliper expecting a new one in return. But service advisor was just plain ignorant.

Last edited:

Sponsored

FP350S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robear
Vehicle(s)
16 TY GT350
R U painting calipers yourself or having professionally done?

OP
OP
Niz55

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Myself. I have done it many times with excellent results.

Vht high temp primer
Vht yellow caliper paint

Important step is to bake them for 1hr at 200F in order for it to cure . After that it becomes rock hard and no need for clear coat at all.

I did my 2015 gt same way and after 3 years it looks like day one .

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
Any fault or damage in your braking system needs to be replaced, especially if you are tracking your car. The two worst things that can happen at the track: 1. Your car catches on fire. 2. Your brakes fail.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
It won't void it but they will not cover it. The caliper needs to be on the car in order for service department to warranty it.
You are probably right but I was very surprised when my dealer did a battery swap without the car. I removed the bad battery and took it to the dealer to be tested and hopefully replaced. The service writer said Ford requires the car to be towed in before they replaced the battery. I think its mostly to verify mileage. I talked to the service manager because I did not want the car towed because of risk of damage. He told the service writer to give me the battery if I promised to email a picture of my odometer with the mileage I had told him after I installed it. I worked the paperwork for the battery into the frame.

OP
OP
Niz55

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Man the hand brake cable kicked my ass trying to take it apart.

Sponsored

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
are you trying to tell me that you did all that wrenching on your GT 350 and did not invite me to bust me knuckles braking bolts loose ? Dang man I love busting my knuckles and to think on a GT 350 ...

What you don't like your suspension ?

OP
OP
Niz55

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Changing out my current springs (Eibach) to steeda duel rate competition springs that they just released yesterday.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
It is indeed a PIA without a couple of dedicated tools that make the job much easier. Ford could have made a couple of minor tweaks that would have made things a lot easier/quicker. I struggle finding a legitimate reason why they didn't and instead chose to complicate the process.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
It is indeed a PIA without a couple of dedicated tools that make the job much easier. Ford could have made a couple of minor tweaks that would have made things a lot easier/quicker. I struggle finding a legitimate reason why they didn't and instead chose to complicate the process.
Honestly, I truly believe they in fact engineer stuff like this INTO the equation. I think they try to drive the DIYer away from working on their own stuff and driving that work back to the dealerships. Could be wrong, but that's my conspiracy theory.

Yup...that one sucked when I removed mine for paint. If I recall, I was able to get the spring far enough out of the way to get a socket on the bolt and just backed it out until the caliper came off. I don't think ever got the bolt out of the bracket or out from under that spring; I just left it there.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
There is an adjustment point for the e brake which is located just aside the mufflers front attachment point . There you can adjust the cable to give slack enough to remove the cable attachments from the rear calipers .
Sponsored