Procharger Questions

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
i've heard this before. but how expensive and difficult (installation) is it to using a wastegate for the blower? where does this mount?
It depends on which setup you choose. You can mount the wastegate next to the BOV on the hot pipe, or you can mount the wastegate to the intercooler end tank. I chose the intercooler as I thought the hot pipe mounting would be too cramped. I also had the standard bypass valve so I had a custom pipe made for an upgraded BOV, if you already have the red race valve you will save on cost and this step. All together the intercooler modification, pipe, WG, BOV, and smaller pulley for the blower was around $900-1k IIRC. I recommend PSI Proformance they have a write up on their intercooler mount setup.

I also later on added an eBoost Street boost controller so I can adjust boost on the fly and have it hold the gate shut until the exact moment I want it to open (more midrange gains).

Page 2 of my build log shows everything about my wastegate setup.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
It depends on which setup you choose. You can mount the wastegate next to the BOV on the hot pipe, or you can mount the wastegate to the intercooler end tank. I chose the intercooler as I thought the hot pipe mounting would be too cramped. I also had the standard bypass valve so I had a custom pipe made for an upgraded BOV, if you already have the red race valve you will save on cost and this step. All together the intercooler modification, pipe, WG, BOV, and smaller pulley for the blower was around $900-1k IIRC. I recommend PSI Proformance they have a write up on their intercooler mount setup.

I also later on added an eBoost Street boost controller so I can adjust boost on the fly and have it hold the gate shut until the exact moment I want it to open (more midrange gains).

Page 2 of my build log shows everything about my wastegate setup.
That sounds like a nice set up!

To get to it though, do you have to remove the front bumper cover again?

Honestly, that is the one thing I fear the most lol.

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Yes you would have to remove the front bumper, but it takes like 20 minutes tops. Not a big deal in the overall scheme.

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Was perusing the ProCharger website.

Wow! Wondering about the I 1 Supercharger! It’s available for the 11-14 GT but not 15-18. Variable boost. Looks good!!

Wonder why this isn’t an option yet. Wonder how well it works as well. Full boost lower rpm. Better than wastegating I would think.

Wonder how the reliability of this would be?

Hey ProChargerTECH, got any info?

Wonder about cost as well...

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
It’s available for 11-14 because the blower is backwards facing on those.

Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Was perusing the ProCharger website.

Wow! Wondering about the I 1 Supercharger! It’s available for the 11-14 GT but not 15-18. Variable boost. Looks good!!

Wonder why this isn’t an option yet. Wonder how well it works as well. Full boost lower rpm. Better than wastegating I would think.

Wonder how the reliability of this would be?

Hey ProChargerTECH, got any info?

Wonder about cost as well...
I inquired about it for our cars but they said there's no plans to bring it to our platform any time soon.

The actual blower on the i1 is pretty small though. Would likely not be able to support as much power as a wastegated "regular" blower. I do like the concept though.

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
If a person is only going to run 93, there is no reason to use anything other then a P1X.
Save the extra $$$ for rear tires. :)
Drat! Tires!

I hear you about the P1X. But for $50 the D1SC or $250 the D1X! Nows the time to “upgrade”...

If the Paxton Novi 2200 flows 1400 CFM, i’d like to have “more”, if that makes any sense. I may not “need” more than P1X, but literally for the peanuts it costs initially, why not? I do understand that if the D1X doesn’t really come into its own until later in the rpm range, I get that. Back in the day, like the Vortech R trim Vs S trim for the fox bodies. The R was better at the track but the S was better on the street.

I know I’m making way too much of this! But been down this road! Easy to do it NOW if you know what I mean!

Oh yea, ProChargerTECH, it was great seeing Jimmy LaRocca in one of your videos! There’s an old supercharger (Vortech > Paxton > Procharger) guy from my previous era...

MyLilPony

Naw It's Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT, 18 JLUR, 15 JK
That sounds like a nice set up!

To get to it though, do you have to remove the front bumper cover again?

Honestly, that is the one thing I fear the most lol.
If you are interested in a wastgate set up I may sell mine. You would need to have the race red valve though. Mine mounts on the pipe as mentioned above. LMK, I would include the 4.35 pulley for a 1dsc. I had mine regulated to 13# but made almost 580# of tq super low in the rpm band! Lots of fun!! I am using a tial wastage on my setup. See my build thread for pics.

NickGoBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Oxford White 5.0
I always thought about doing the Wastegate setup on my D1SC, but after having a few talks with Cary from PC during SEMA last year he informed me how bad it is to run on a ProCharger. He said to go for it if I wanted to kill the head unit quickly.

Sponsored

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
only if your overspinning it

for example, if the head unit is capapble of say 16psi, and your running 10psi, your in spec, if your running 16 psi, but bleeding to 10psi, your still in spec, now, if your spinning 20psi, and bleeding ,now your overspinning, that is what would kil lthe head unit, he probably didn't get what you were saying be no diff on a paxton

MyLilPony

Naw It's Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT, 18 JLUR, 15 JK
only if your overspinning it

for example, if the head unit is capapble of say 16psi, and your running 10psi, your in spec, if your running 16 psi, but bleeding to 10psi, your still in spec, now, if your spinning 20psi, and bleeding ,now your overspinning, that is what would kil lthe head unit, he probably didn't get what you were saying be no diff on a paxton
This!

I dont know anyone here over spinning there blowers so.... mine is only spun to 58000 rpm on a blower capable of 62000...

Grim12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
Unless a person is planning on running E85 all the time, or a built motor. The P1X really is a killer blower on these cars.

(even my race car, is getting a P1X, just to see how fast I can get it to go)
Stock 2016 Coyote, and 6R80 trans)

So will you be going HO or Stage 2 and why?

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
I always thought about doing the Wastegate setup on my D1SC, but after having a few talks with Cary from PC during SEMA last year he informed me how bad it is to run on a ProCharger. He said to go for it if I wanted to kill the head unit quickly.
As said as long as your not overspinning it will be okay. There are a few that overspin the blower slightly that havent had any issues yet. I overspin by about 2k at redline, although I don't think 2k is very much to worry about when the max is already 65k and it only hits 67k for a split second. I believe @diablomatt overspins his P1SC a bit too. Obviously best not to though.

There definitely is more stress on the blower gearbox, as explained by PCTech before, when the gate opens the load on the blower drastically changes. Although I don't see how this is any different than closing the throttle and opening the BOV at high RPM.

Generally not the best idea to try to bleed off 10psi as the more you bleed off the more stress there is. There are many wastegate users and I've never heard of one breaking from it. Not saying it can't happen, but i havent seen it posted anywhere here. Even if my head unit lasts a couple thousand less miles it was worth it for the crazy amount of midrange power that it adds. I have faith that the Procharger head units can handle it ;)
Sponsored