Sponsored

7th Generation Mustang (S650) Moved to 2022...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
I don't know if this means anything at all, but this article states the following:

And according to a Detroit Bureau interview with Ford Group Marketing Manager Corey Holter, there's even a hybrid version of the Mustang coming in 2020.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ford-mustang-continues-evolve-keeps-competition-120921963.html

But they put the first year in wrong - 1965.5 instead of 1964.5 - so who knows how accurate that is, or when the interview they referenced took place.
They say in the beginning there will be a 2019 GT500, while it is obvious that it will be a MY2020 car. Afaik the Hybrid is definitely a 7th gen thing and will not come to 6th gen

Ford Europes chief of Mustang kind of confirmed to me that 7th gen will be around 2022 two months ago, but everything is still subject to change.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
"the S650 is likely to see this new addition of hybrid technology in the 2020 model year."

The '19s are on the roads already.........no way S650 is coming for the '20MY. It would make most sense for the hybrid Mustang to be based on the next gen Mustang, rather than S550, Once we start to see early prototypes running around, then we can take a better stab at guessing the model year it'll be released for.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on how much of a hybrid it is I guess. Isn't the new Police Explorer Interceptor is supposed to be hybrid transmission? I think it was TopNotch that said it originally on here, articles right now are mostly keeping it generic as power train and saying the hybrid powers the electronics basically.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
S650 is 2022.... Model Year 2023.

So about 4 years from now. CAFE standards were loosened and the Big 3's don't have to be as aggressive to converting it's fleets into electric everything. So the v8 will live a little longer than anticipated. Specially now that Fords has mastered the DFI + Port injection on ALL of their engines...

So moving forward, you can see a downsized NA 4.2 v8, that spins freely, and would work extremely well with forced induction, or hybrid electric. Personally, I think we will see a 2.7 v6 twin-turbo... before we see electric hybrid.

Though, there are rumors of a trunkless mustang, that sounds funny...

Sponsored

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Yeah.....but there's still time for Ford to come to their senses and call the EV Model E (as it may well be as significant as the Model T)......and then they can give us a Mustang Mach 1 :p
The Mach name should have been used in 2019 and the green car option in 2018
Ford missed the mark for nostalgic purposes.....

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Is that just your guess, or do you know more than most (beware, depending on your answer, I may need to implement the thumb screws :p )
I don't care who, but a CEO can't take over a Corporation and expect to develop and engineer a new s650 Mustang, on a different platform that is shared with other models in TWO YEARS time..

I don't think there is a rush, & that "extra year" will mean more refinement in the end product. The s550 still has many different avenues to take, in regards to engine and transmissions, before it is a dead platform.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
I don't care who, but a CEO can't take over a Corporation and expect to develop and engineer a new s650 Mustang, on a different platform that is shared with other models in TWO YEARS time..

I don't think there is a rush, & that "extra year" will mean more refinement in the end product. The s550 still has many different avenues to take, in regards to engine and transmissions, before it is a dead platform.

I think Ford is taking a "FCA Lesson", extending the life of the current gen mustang as long it continues selling well..

Sponsored

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
I am guessing..Next Gen will be very angular-think Camaro-hard creases...the angles added to the tail lights and front 18 started it in that direction...and an all new platform-to allow for Hybrid powerplants and batteries..

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
This is a great video from StangMode.......walking around Woodward with Chris Stevens, designer of the '18MY and '20 GT500!! Note how Chris confirms he's working on S650! (@ 4mins)

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Good vid.

OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score