Sponsored

Did anyone ever do a Perf Pack 2 vs 1LE test?

tyler2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt
and yea the mustang wins sales for two reasons, it's easier to daily live with, and it sells way more to fleet. take only actual consumer numbers they are alot closer
Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
and yea the mustang wins sales for two reasons, it's easier to daily live with, and it sells way more to fleet. take only actual consumer numbers they are alot closer
LOL, my fiance went home to hawaii with her family for a few weeks and sent me a picture of the retal lot. mustangs for as far as you could see... mostly convertibles. that is a huge portion of the sales for sure

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
so then what your saying is, ford cant build a comparable mustang for the same price point that Chevy can build the Camaro, and let's be honest the gt500 is gonna come in way more then a zl1 probably closer to Corvette territory. bottom line ford gives you x for y cost and Chevy gives you z for the same y cost. and isn't the R supposed to be an all out track car, cause the zl1 isnt. plus I'm sure you can pull up 100s of cars with huge horsepower advantages that get beat around a track.
The whole reason why GM can build those camaros are because they share the same engine as the corvettes. It lowers the R&D and manufacturing costs. Ford doesn't have a corvette equivalent to transfer the same engine to a heavier platform. What Ford has is different mustang variants. Ford could have made the GT500 a low 3300 lbs car and then transfer the engine to a regular mustang gt but it would be really tough for a car with a back seat. Besides, then what are they going to do with the GT350?

tyler2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt
no one ever said that wasnt true, but doesn't change the fact that ford cant give you what Chevy does for the same price. and of course there are mustang's as far as the eye could see, who wouldn't want a sports car to teararound Hawaii

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
OK enough dragging Randy Pobst through the dirt... The guy is maybe not Fernando Alonso, Scott Dixon, Spencer Pumpelly, Mario Andretti or Ayrton Senna, but he’s a fantastic and very consistent driver. Very knowledgable technically, to which some better drivers are not, and as unbiased as you’ll find. He’s a good control as a driver in a test of a vehicles capability.

As another sample, go step out of the “VS” section and into the road race section. Check out the GTPP2 times at Lime Rock and Mid-Ohio. Do the same on the Camaro forums. I point out those two tracks because steveespo ran his GTPP2 at those tracks in stock form (plus a cage). The time discrepancy is about 1-second.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
OK enough dragging Randy Pobst through the dirt... The guy is maybe not Fernando Alonso, Scott Dixon, Spencer Pumpelly, Mario Andretti or Ayrton Senna, but he’s a fantastic and very consistent driver. Very knowledgable technically, to which some better drivers are not, and as unbiased as you’ll find. He’s a good control as a driver in a test of a vehicles capability.

As another sample, go step out of the “VS” section and into the road race section. Check out the GTPP2 times at Lime Rock and Mid-Ohio. Do the same on the Camaro forums. I point out those two tracks because steveespo ran his GTPP2 at those tracks in stock form (plus a cage). The time discrepancy is about 1-second.
Randy ran the ZL1 on different days with nearly a 3 second delta. Consistency only gets you so far. You can correct somewhat for 1/4 mile times due to varying weather. You cannot do the same for varying track conditions/weather conditions on a road coarse.

All we know is the GTPP2 and SS1LE are close. Until there is an actual same day head to head, we don't know which one is positively faster.

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
no one ever said that wasnt true, but doesn't change the fact that ford cant give you what Chevy does for the same price. and of course there are mustang's as far as the eye could see, who wouldn't want a sports car to teararound Hawaii
This is where I swap over to Mustang's side...

What needs to be kept in mind is that, as alluded to previously, in respect to cost, Chevy has had a lot more room to work with than Ford.

The 6th Gen Camaro was able to reap the benefit of being able to utilize the basic structure of the Alpha platform from the ATS (and CTS). The investment was already done. So the time, money and resources could be re-directed to other things, like integration into the Camaro design, reducing weight, and running more iterations/testing.

In contrast, with the S550, an entirely new chassis had to be created and IRS implemented upon everything else.

You can't throw Ford under the bus, completely, on costs. You can't fault Ford for asking for a little more for some stuff.

You can fault them for not delivering as well as they could or should though. There is no excuse there as there is plenty of prowess from the GT350 and their race endeavors of the GT350R-C, FP350S and GT4. I'll leave it at that (talking S550 specific here).

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Randy ran the ZL1 on different days with nearly a 3 second delta. Consistency only gets you so far. You can correct somewhat for 1/4 mile times due to varying weather. You cannot do the same for varying track conditions/weather conditions on a road coarse.

All we know is the GTPP2 and SS1LE are close. Until there is an actual same day head to head, we don't know which one is positively faster.
You're talking about the test where the ran the M6 vs A10, compared to another Head2Head involving the ZL1, right? There is a story with that one, if so. Look into it.

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
From the article in question...

"Although we did not have both cars at the same time to do it properly, they were, in fact, tested in the same locations and by the same drivers. "

Different days, bullshit comparison...sorry.

If/when they test them on the same days...then we can talk. Don't get me wrong, I fully expect the 1LE to come out on top, but we won't know until a real same track/same day/same driver comparison takes place.
This is his quote on instagram a little over a month ago.
2,734 likes
jonnyliebermanThe Mustang GT Performance Pack 2 is getting ready to run around the track. Faster or slower than a Camaro SS 1LE, which ran a 1:37.77.

This time is different from there last test they did with the 1le which was 2 years ago, so it must of been very recent. But by going off Probst comments, the results seem realistic.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
LOL, my fiance went home to hawaii with her family for a few weeks and sent me a picture of the retal lot. mustangs for as far as you could see... mostly convertibles. that is a huge portion of the sales for sure
Easily 75% of total mustang sales are rental fleet. :facepalm:

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
You're talking about the test where the ran the M6 vs A10, compared to another Head2Head involving the ZL1, right? There is a story with that one, if so. Look into it.
Randy ran 3 seconds faster in the ZL1 M6 vs M6 on different days due to different temperatures and track conditions. He explained why, and this is why tests done on different days when were trying to compare times within a second are useless.

This is his quote on instagram a little over a month ago.
2,734 likes
jonnyliebermanThe Mustang GT Performance Pack 2 is getting ready to run around the track. Faster or slower than a Camaro SS 1LE, which ran a 1:37.77.

This time is different from there last test they did with the 1le which was 2 years ago, so it must of been very recent. But by going off Probst comments, the results seem realistic.
They didn't test the 1le and PP2 on the same day, case closed. I'm not sure why this is so difficult to understand. The comparison because of this is worthless for determining which one is actually faster. The only thing we can determine (which we already know) is that they are close.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Easily 75% of total mustang sales are rental fleet. :facepalm:
I'd say closer to 90%

Just today, I saw 3 six gen camaros within 5 minutes. I concluded from this data that 98% of all camaros are therefore non fleet sales.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Someone has some inside information about GT500 pricing nice
Might want to look at the numbers again.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
They didn't test the 1le and PP2 on the same day, case closed. I'm not sure why this is so difficult to understand. The comparison because of this is worthless for determining which one is actually faster. The only thing we can determine (which we already know) is that they are close.

What he is quoting is the best drivers car competition that was just done, all the cars were tested at the same time. Johnny gave the 1LE time, left the 2PP time for the article to be released as a cliff hanger. but that test was done same day, same conditions. What he's saying it the 1LE lapped .1 sec faster then the lap from 2 years ago

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Retail Sales 2018 Q1-Q2
Mustang: 29,548
Challenger: 25,783
Camaro: 24,809

No way in hell the Mustang should ever outsell a far superior car with a world class chassis, more tech, more power, etc
Sponsored