Sponsored

Throttle response - a little pedestrian?

eldar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT - My2017
I find the throttle response a little slow, hind of fair enough in wet/snow/granny mode. Still rather dull in normal but improving in sport+ and race.
Race isn't the smartest for road use, and sport+ is kind of overkill for pottering around town.

Its also too quiet and civilized , so I've been thinking about a center box delete. I'm kind of concerned I'd end up with noisy and sleepy. The auto box is also a bit slow, but I gather that's kind of expected with the 6 speed box.

Is the answer just welly it more?
Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
I only drive in normal when wet because like you say the throttle response is noticeably slower. If dry I'll drive 80% Sport and 20% Race. Not sure why Ford has these modes (likely a marketing gimmick), just give me an option to turn traction control on or off,that's all that's needed.

That's one of the advantages of the 18, that it is has a louder exhaust in Sport/Race mode

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
get a lund remap they love to make throttles overly sensitive :)

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The answer is basically to hammer it a little more and higher in the rev range, given its naturally aspirated and not turbo or super charged. The GT wakes up above 3500 RPM. Slap the car in second, hover around 4000, big toe the throttle and you'll be away like a lightening bolt, especially in Sport+ mode.

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
The answer is basically to hammer it a little more and higher in the rev range, given its naturally aspirated and not turbo or super charged. The GT wakes up above 3500 RPM. Slap the car in second, hover around 4000, big toe the throttle and you'll be away like a lightening bolt, especially in Sport+ mode.
... or get "buzzed" by a scrote in a Citroen (a thing with halfords bit stuck all over it) who tries to ram you - then overtake you with no room to do so

THEN you find out how fast the "standard" GT is :cwl::cwl::cwl:

Sponsored

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
There's so many things you can do to wake her up but yeah you make more power higher up in the rev range, someone might correct me on this.... 4k max torque and 6.2k max bhp.

etbiru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I drive mostly in Normal mode and in D. In sport+ mode the rev hangs a little high for normal use making the fuel consumption bad not to mention it is loud driving it that way and it will also blip on down shift making it even louder.
I do find the normal mode is a little tame. The only time I use sport+ mode is when I use the paddle shifter (transmission selection in S) but somehow it not as satisfying as driving a manual so I hardly do this.
I think Race mode is the same as Sport+ mode but with the stability switched off. I would not recommend it as things could quickly get out of hand very quickly.

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Race mode turns off the traction control, hold down the switch again until the advanced traction control turns off

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
I drive mostly in Normal mode and in D. In sport+ mode the rev hangs a little high for normal use making the fuel consumption bad not to mention it is loud driving it that way and it will also blip on down shift making it even louder.
I do find the normal mode is a little tame. The only time I use sport+ mode is when I use the paddle shifter (transmission selection in S) but somehow it not as satisfying as driving a manual so I hardly do this.
Sounds like you got the wrong transmission for your driving style, especially when you say "not as satisfying as a manual"

Sponsored

tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
most of the time i drive out in sport using the paddles. As others have said, give it some welly and live in the top half of the rev range. Different car.

OP
OP

eldar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT - My2017
OK, the answer is sport + and revs via manual changes. 10 speed auto, you'd spend your whole time with manual changes!

Race is a bit silly for roads with other people, it is a bit hooligan tailout.

SWMBO won't sanction hacksawing the exhaust, so standard it remains. We'll see:)

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT MY19 Bullitt
OK, the answer is sport + and revs via manual changes. 10 speed auto, you'd spend your whole time with manual changes!

Race is a bit silly for roads with other people, it is a bit hooligan tailout.

SWMBO won't sanction hacksawing the exhaust, so standard it remains. We'll see:)

Oh you gotta get it making more noise the there's no boxes on mine :rockon:

Leeroy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
Mach1 FJG manual/'65 289 Coupe
In a word, yes, response is a little tame in normal mode. I tend to stick with normal mode for general driving in slow moving traffic and always flick to sport+ the minute I want to proceed a bit quicker

As others have said, it’s also a completely different car higher up the Rev range. Even staying in 4th across country from bend to bend works a treat as throttle response is pretty immediate
Sponsored