Sponsored

Base gt suspension advice

Luisiv32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT
So I just had my first track day at the ridge Motorsports parking in Shelton, wa. It was a blast and my base gt did well in my opinion. I have done autocross before and this was a lot better in my opinion. I am looking into the ford performance track handling pack. I have not seen many reviews on it but it seem like a good complete package that will help at the track and be drivable on streets. I also need some advice on upgrading brake pads. My car is completely base.
Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
What are you wanting to change about the handling? Whats your budget? How often do you plan on tracking the car and what tires are you on?

Suspensions are a compromise. Better understanding your specific goals and limitations will help us advise you.

mikeD4V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
I have the FP track handling pack on my base GT and believe it's a great option for a dual purpose car. The car has 38k miles and 8 track days so far. Adding the PP brembos and some wider/better wheel/tires would make it a solid track day platform to progress on IMO. Skip the 4 piston brakes entirely for track days, cost:benefit isn't there. Shelby sells the brembo sets on ebay for $500-700. Stock brembo pads are dusty but will work well until you grow out of them. You'll need 19s or Apex 18s for the brembos. It's a slippery slope...

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Fun track, very technical and no time to relax other than the main straight. I have run Carbotech and recently GLoc pads. I think I prefer the Carbotech. Your biggest challenge is the small brakes you have. The 6 piston Brembo calipers and 15" rotors really do work very well. Shocks is another area that I think these cars lack big time. I have to get better ones for my events next year.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
OP - what class are you intending on running in ? This should dictate your mods regarding suspension and pretty much anything else. Easy to put yourself in a class where you car will be severely undeprepared and it will take some fun out of the competition piece if that's important for you.

dharts9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So I just had my first track day at the ridge Motorsports parking in Shelton, wa. It was a blast and my base gt did well in my opinion. I have done autocross before and this was a lot better in my opinion. I am looking into the ford performance track handling pack. I have not seen many reviews on it but it seem like a good complete package that will help at the track and be drivable on streets. I also need some advice on upgrading brake pads. My car is completely base.
Same boat brother. I am debating between the Ford performance track and the steeda handling pack. Did you notice any "limitations" with having a base GT on the track?

dharts9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have the FP track handling pack on my base GT and believe it's a great option for a dual purpose car. The car has 38k miles and 8 track days so far. Adding the PP brembos and some wider/better wheel/tires would make it a solid track day platform to progress on IMO. Skip the 4 piston brakes entirely for track days, cost:benefit isn't there. Shelby sells the brembo sets on ebay for $500-700. Stock brembo pads are dusty but will work well until you grow out of them. You'll need 19s or Apex 18s for the brembos. It's a slippery slope...
Do you have to upgrade stock rotors with the Brembo upgrade?

XPystchrisX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Yes the rotors are different from the base GT to the PP setup.

mikeD4V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
The rotors are 380mm for the brembos and 355mm for the 4 piston brakes.

Sponsored

Oceanside_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
I also have an base GT, but went with the FP Street pack since it's a daily driver. In addition to that I've added a strut tower w/ k-brace, IRS braces, and new/ wider shoes. I'm very happy with this setup so far on the mountain roads of SoCal but the last piece I need is the front subframe k-brace to lock down the front a little more. From what I've read that piece will totally improve handling so we will see the next time I hit the mountain. On the daily commutes it is a nice drive, so I suspect the FP Track pack would not be bad if it's just a few steps in stiffness from the street pack. You'll also probably want to take a look at replacing the OEM bushings to mitigate some of the extra flex.

dharts9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have been speaking with a Steeda rep and they speak highly of the Ford performance track/street packs but obviously to maximize them you will need other supporting mods. Steeda also has their own HPDE suspension kit that is specifically made for ppl that have daily drivers or weekend warriors who also want to track their car here and there.

https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-Mustang-HPDE-Suspension-Package-15-18-555-2357

https://www.steeda.com/2015-2017-mustang-suspension-packages

Be sure to reach out to @SteedaTech because they have a great rapport with the forums and gave me a great price for my mods.

WalterArch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Another +1 for Steeda, couldn't speak any higher of them.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Just a heads-up ... our Labor Day Sale is now active, savings of 20-30% off Steeda Manufactured Parts!

Hopefully, you can take advantage.
Sponsored