Sponsored

Slight engine tick at 1200-2k rpm on 17' GT PP

mellow_yellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Hey all,

I just bought this car a few days ago. It's a 17' GT Mustang w/ PP 6spd manual. It's only got 9600 miles on it and I took it on Monday to the local Ford dealership to have them do an oil change for me on the car.

I didn't notice any strange sounds when I bought the car, but after I took it home from the oil change, I noticed a slight engine tick noise at about 1200-2k rpm. I can hear an abnormal noise outside the car when I am accelerating but inside it's pretty quiet. Car still pulls strong obviously and I haven't noticed anything wacky in driveability but that noise is definitely there. At idle speed it's normal, but if I tap the accelerator I can hear the tick.

I looked at the receipt for the oil change and they charged me for 6 quarts of oil but I have read online and in the manual that the car takes about 8 qts of oil.

Should I take it back to them tomorrow? I don't know what to tell them.

Sorry if this is noobish. I like the car but I just wanted to make sure everything was good on it.
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Did you check the oil level?

Osofast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt premium
Vehicle Showcase
First thing you should do is pull the dip stick and see if they charged you for 6qts of oil to keep the price down or if they only put 6qts of oil in it.

ValidusTalon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP + FRPP2
It may be the "BBQ Tick" - my 2017 ended up with it after oil changes. There is a debate as to actual impact and potential cause or resolution.... for your casual reading: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/bbq-tick-after-oil-change.24612/ . Folks have YouTube video's that capture it pretty well.... provided your oil level is correct do these resemble the noise you are hearing ?

For mine I get it on cold starts, low RPM as you note, 1,200 > 2K rpms under very light load (for example slowly driving out of my neighborhood or a parking garage). It goes away once my oil is up to operating temp, so only last a few minutes. It's also, for me, not noticeable in the car, but with windows down if you drive by a wall, parked car, etc... you'll hear it for sure.

Sponsored

OP
OP

mellow_yellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
That's what it sounds like. Eghhh.....the car is still under factory warranty which is good for me but, I am afraid now that the dealer is going to give me issues in trying to get this resolved. I don't understand how an oil change could prompt this and why it wasn't doing it before (I bought it from a Dodge dealership and they changed the oil/filter but I did it again anyways because I am paranoid like that).

When I picked up the car last week, it didn't have any strange sounds and like I said previously....it still pulls like a mofo so I am not sure what's going on. Is it worth it to take it back to the dealership that did the oil change and having them take a look at it?

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
ive got this tick too. ive read a lot of threads on it and the circumstances you are describing from my reading have been deemed normal. most people who have needed or got short or long blocks still report a tick and it was a hassle to get. sounds like a lot of people have this and there doesnt seem to be many people having long term issues. i would prob at least get it documented in case something comes up but i doubt they will do much. im gonna keep driving mine and try not to worry about it unless it gets worse.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Ut oh.:shock:
5D83C066-F191-43BD-915B-9DFD88B76729.gif

ValidusTalon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP + FRPP2
When I picked up the car last week, it didn't have any strange sounds and like I said previously....it still pulls like a mofo so I am not sure what's going on. Is it worth it to take it back to the dealership that did the oil change and having them take a look at it?
As other have noted this is pretty common and has been around as far as I understand since the first generation Coyote and is present in some other Ford motors.

My personal advice is to A) Remain calm :) ... B) Take it to your favorite Ford dealership and make sure the service adviser notes you have a concern (in my case my service adviser was well aware of it the issue, yours may not be).. then C) Drive and enjoy your car, if like mine the tick goes away as the oil is up to operating temp... and D) Casually watch a few of the threads here, like the one I shared above, Ford is mum on the issue but the sleuths on here and on the interwebs in general seem to be making progress.

It sucks to find this on such a sweet ride, I was aware of the issue before buying the car, but admit it still made my spirits fall when I heard it for the first time on my own car.... welcome to the club :)

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
A friend just had his 17 GT PP short block replaced by Ford last week. Car had 6k miles on it. Same noise.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I wouldn't worry about it. Not worth the hassle and it's not like the engine is failing or any kind of check engine lights.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I did. It's a bit of a pain to get an accurate reading because the oil is so clear. I saw that it covered the bottom hole.
It's low. Put a quart in and see where it is. Checking the oil level is a complete PITA on these cars, you can check it cold just fine.
Sponsored