Sponsored

2019 GT350 vs GT500, help me decide...

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Porsche have laid out a new business plan, Strategy 2025. By that year, 50% of their range will be electric. Worldwide the manual gearbox is already dead, the petrol engine is critically ill.

I'm also new, but I've read enough here on the Shelby part of the forum to form an opinion that one Shelby will be heartache enough.

Buy something other than a Ford for your second car. Good luck with your purchases.
Porsche have laid out a new business plan, Strategy 2025. By that year, 50% of their range will be electric. Worldwide the manual gearbox is already dead, the petrol engine is critically ill.

I'm also new, but I've read enough here on the Shelby part of the forum to form an opinion that one Shelby will be heartache enough.

Buy something other than a Ford for your second car. Good luck with your purchases.
Interesting that you are ordering a new Mustang for yourself and yet suggest that the OP purchase something other than a Ford for his second car?

Understand that you are new but you do realize that Ford has produced ~20,000 of these FPC engine GT350/R's over the last few years therefore there will be some engine failures based on those production numbers.

Not sure if you have ever owned or even driven a GT350/R but in any case for you to suggest that owning a Shelby would end up in heartache is certainly hard to comprehend at least based on the experiences of myself and all of my GT350/R car buddies.
Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The GT500 will NOT have an NA application. Unless Ford has somehow managed to figure out how to squeeze 700+ horsepower out of an NA engine that's in the caliber of Ferrari and Lamborghini...I'm guessing no.

And that whole comment about heartache, do you really think that the GT350 is the only car that has issues? Why don't you go head on over to ANY other car forum and see how many issue threads there are. I feel like you have the impression that number is zero. Utter nonsense. 15,000 miles and I ride my hot little redhead fuggin' hard and she keeps begging for more. Huh, I must be an anomaly. :facepalm:

IMDNS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
GT350 V8 makes power above 5K RPM and pulls scary fast to 8K. Below 3K RPM this engine feels a bit sluggish.

I know nothing about how the GT500 drives since it is not released, but I'm sure the supercharged engine would have a totally different character in terms of sound and power curve.

Buy what interests you. I used to think these two cars are for different group of Mustang-lovers...

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
i wouldn't buy 2 either, but i would get an R just because you will likely wish you had gotten it in the first place after driving the 350 for a bit.

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Get the R. 20-30 years from now, the R will be the super special version that your son will be extremely happy you chose it. From your financial description, it doesn't sound like it would be a significant financial hit either. No brainer.

Sponsored

OP
OP
YOLO

YOLO

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06, Lexus GS350
Get the R. 20-30 years from now, the R will be the super special version that your son will be extremely happy you chose it. From your financial description, it doesn't sound like it would be a significant financial hit either. No brainer.
From the latest updates to the 2019 models it appears that the 2 models are closer than ever.

I'm starting to lean towards the "R" model but only if the markup is not higher than the Non R model.

Not going to pay ransom to anyone.

debordj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
If you think paying a ransom on a 2019 350R is crazy, wait until you see the crazy stuff that will happen with the 2020 500 mark-ups!

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
From the latest updates to the 2019 models it appears that the 2 models are closer than ever.

I'm starting to lean towards the "R" model but only if the markup is not higher than the Non R model.

Not going to pay ransom to anyone.
Maybe others are more in the know than me but I have not heard of any proposed production launch dates for the upcoming 2019 GT350/R's and if it gets too late into the Fall (October/November) we certainly will not see any R models produced before the Spring of 2019 based on the Cup2 tire issue in cold weather.

With respect to leaning towards an R model I can certainly understand and appreciate your intent as makes complete sense to me but cannot see dealerships selling a Non R and an R model at the same markup in relation to MSRP unless production starts very soon with a large supply of R's being produced in the early Fall and also next Spring along with the possibility of some enthusiasts moving away from an R model in favor of a new 2019/2020 GT500.

It has been my experience that most all Ford dealerships look at these rear seat delete cars that come with larger CF wheels and CF wing, larger front chin spoiler, bigger tires, louder exhaust, etc. much differently than a regular GT350 and obviously price them accordingly and especially when it comes to total the limited production numbers of the R model which they are all aware of as well.

I believe there are ~3150 Ford dealerships in the U.S. and ~35 SVT Ford dealerships in Canada with only a total of ~630 R models being built for the 2018MY for some 3200 dealerships in North America therefore they price the R's accordingly.

Completely understand not wanting to pay a ransom for an R model therefore lets hope that GT350/R production starts up soon and that you will find an R model at MSRP or very close to it as you will not be disappointed with your decision.

:like:

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Don't know why people consider ADM as "ransom". It's the price of early adoption of something new/desirable. If you don't like it, buy something else.
I totally agree with your comments with respect to ADM's but unfortunately there are many members on this forum that take offense to ADM's.

I remember back in July 2015 when I ordered GR107 and because I could spec out an R model exactly the way that I wanted I agreed to an ADM for that car and was happy to do so. It was quite interesting that almost a year later a Ford dealership offered me somewhat more for this car than I paid for it so decided to let it go.

At the end of the day I would suggest go make your best deal on one of these GT350/R's and if you are happy with the OTD pricing then pull the trigger and if not then continue looking at other GT350/R model opportunities or as you suggested just move on and buy something else.

Pretty simple from my standpoint.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I would think Ford would start producing 2019 GT350 Mustangs in October - November 2018 when Mustang sales slow down.

AWE350ME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GT350R
39605691_10156220330787702_3979174074600390656_o.jpg
I'll be posting here before I place my order.

I wasn't focused on the "R" because of such high markups, especially if 2019 is the Last year. Thought I would have a better deal on the Base GT350.

I will track it at Gingerman Raceway in Michigan and a few others.

I'm seriously considering ordering Both models and park the "R" version as a Garage Queen, and beat the snot on the base model :)

I'm fairly confident this 526HP engine and manual trans is the end of NA cars.
Yolo,

Hands down the 350R is the way to go. I have one and for all the reasons Harry has mentioned but also it is simply superior on the track. I had mine out at GingerMan on Aug 14/15 and the thing just keeps giving. I managed 134mph in fourth on the straight barely touching 7000 rpm and it just wanted to give more. hugs corners like no tomorrow. I am considered a novice driver and have had a few seasoned drivers take me for a spin at GingerMan and Mosport - simply breath taking. Worth every penny of any markup you would pay. My brother has garage queened his base R model and sure they are pretty to look at, but slap some PPF on the entire car and it looks like new after every track day. This image is after GingerMan, four track days in total since I got in April, and looks new...just wish I had gotten a base R... well just need to pry the keys out of my brother's hands.

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
There's a Ruby Red R, black roof no stripes, sitting at my local dealer for quite some time now. They keep dropping the ADM and it's still sitting there. The ADM now is about $5700 CDN.

AWE350ME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GT350R
There's a Ruby Red R, black roof no stripes, sitting at my local dealer for quite some time now. They keep dropping the ADM and it's still sitting there. The ADM now is about $5700 CDN.
Yep, seen that one, and the last R allocation for the dealer where I got mine just arrived on the weekend Black with Black Stripe VIN ending 503821 Chassis JR554 its up for sale - think they are asking 10K CDN.

Yolo, here are two Canadian cars with reasonable ADMs (4500 - 7500 usd) just waiting for you to make an offer. Its not as difficult as you think to get one State side. Yeah it has to stay here for six months but I'd be happy to look after it for you. :like:
Sponsored