Sponsored

Hard/Stiff 1st gear - MT-82

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
UPDATE!!!!!!!!!......I spoke with Bill Garrett at EXEDY this morning, great guy representing EXEDY. Since I posted this I noticed a squeaking while pushing the clutch pedal in and out and I sent the video to Bill Garrett and I’ll attach it as well. Apparently the squeaking is a dry slave cylinder/hydraulic bearing which may be toast, this may also be the reason the clutch isn’t completely disengage thus causing my first gear issues. I don’t know if it was making this squeaking noise prior to replacing the clutch line. I have selective hearing according to my wife and I normally have the door closed when I depress the clutch pedal. Bill suggested I bleed the brakes and then pump the clutch trying to bleed the system again. If this doesn’t work I’ll be dropping the trans, soooooo now is a great time to install the MGW X-SPEC, kind of a win for me.

I’m having a hard time getting the transmission into 1st gear (damn near impossible) only after putting it into neutral, letting off the clutch then trying to shift back into first (this is at a dead stop) This only happens once I start driving the car, when I first get in the car it goes into first like butter, also when I come to a complete stop if I don’t let off the clutch it will go into first without issue.

This only started happening a couple months ago when I did a hard rolling pull in second gear at which time I felt the shifter flex to the right more than normal and I heard a snap followed by a vibration. I later found the snap and vibration was a driveshaft to rubber isolator bolt snapping. Prior to all this I did the BG fluid change and everything was butter smooth. It almost feels like the clutch isn’t completely disengaging allowing it to shift into first. I should also note that I have an EXEDY Mach 500 stage 3 clutch.

Looking for any thoughts or advice before I start tearing into the shifter or something else.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ArcsandSparks

Probably wrenching
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Metallic GT
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have anything else done to the drivetrain? And do you have the stock shifter?

I'd start with checking your clutch/brake reservoir, then bleeding as a secondary measure.

OP
OP

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
Nothing was done to the drivetrain other than the fluid change. I do have the factory shifter and I will be upgrading to an MGW in the coming months however I would like to know what caused or is causing my issue before I upgrade.

I’ve already flushed/replaced my brake fluid but this was after the issue started. I do have the STEEDA braided clutch line on hand, maybe I need to get that installed and see if that corrects/fixes my issue. Maybe the factory line developed a week spot.

ArcsandSparks

Probably wrenching
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Rewinding to your first post-

If you try to shift into a different gear, let's say 2nd, are you met with the same resistance?

OP
OP

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
I would say 1/2 the resistance in 2nd gear but it never feels like it won’t go into 2nd gear. 3rd & 4th are no issues at all

EDIT: this only happens at a dead stop after I release the clutch then try to re-engage 1st

Sponsored

ArcsandSparks

Probably wrenching
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I would say 1/2 the resistance in 2nd gear but it never feels like it won’t go into 2nd gear. 3rd & 4th are no issues at all

EDIT: this only happens at a dead stop after I release the clutch then try to re-engage 1st
Got it. From what you're describing, it sounds like you could have a combination of a clutch/clutch master issue and an issue with your factory shifter.

Keeping that in mind- I'd still start with installing the Steeda Clutch Line + a thorough bleeding. With the issue only arising if you release the clutch after shifting into neutral, I'm thinking you're getting some fluctuations in clutch line pressure that's making getting into 1st and 2nd gear difficult.

After installing the Steeda Clutch Line + a thorough bleeding, I'd dig into the shifter.

The factory shifter is notoriously sloppy and I'm inclined to believe that the shifter flex + snap you heard did more damage than you found, making it difficult to get into 1st and 2nd- an issue that only presents itself after clutch line pressure decreases, or is exacerbated when the clutch cannot operate as efficiently.

I have a MGW Race Spec (flat stick) + Steeda Clutch Line and my shifts are dead-accurate, with no change in clutch pedal feel after driving the car hard. The slop that is present in the factory shifter + clutch line definitely isn't doing you any favors.

OP
OP

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
I believe we are thinking the same issue. I definately feel it’s a clutch pressure engagement issue and it feels like it has something to do with the fluid pressure. I’ll replace the clutch line this weekend and I’m assuming “thoroughly” bleeding is just a matter of pumping the pedal, correct?

Are you aware of any adjustments I can look into with the factory shifter in case something is out of wack

OP
OP

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
So I changed to the STEEDA braided clutch line and it “did not” help my situation. Any MT-82 pros out the know if there are any factory shifter adjustments that can be made. I plan on installing an MGW but I would like to resolve/understand what’s currently happening so not to carry over any issues once I install the MGW

OP
OP

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
CDC8FAED-D0E8-455B-8B42-326082227948.jpeg
B8D7F63C-9BE5-4E93-98A0-8102CBE083C3.jpeg
B8F5EEC6-392C-4FD1-AF36-F82132113723.jpeg
13A9BF37-0D0E-4B7B-B815-F6E609A49594.jpeg
B985D4E5-5F21-4C89-99C2-2FCF167ED398.jpeg
UPDATE: new throwout bearing solved the squeaking issue, also installed the MGW while it was easy to get to. Not sure if the throwout bearing or the shifter solved my 1st gear issue or combo of both but I’m satisfied. Also glad I replaced the clutch and flywheel

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
More than likely the throw-out bearing went bad. I had to change mine in my old 05 GT with only 30,000 on it. Same symptoms as yours, plus pedal was getting harder to press as I drove a long time with the squeak until finally pulling the transmission. I hope I have a better lifetime with the throw-out bearing on my 17 GT. These transmissions are a pain to pull without a hoist.

Sponsored
OP
OP

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
Everything seems to be fine so far, still breaking in the clutch. Pedal feel and engagement is much better. Honestly, it wasn’t bad dropping & installing the transmission, several steps in the process and I used a trans jack with the help of 2 buddies.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Everything seems to be fine so far, still breaking in the clutch. Pedal feel and engagement is much better. Honestly, it wasn’t bad dropping & installing the transmission, several steps in the process and I used a trans jack with the help of 2 buddies.
Was your issue resolved?
Sponsored