Sponsored

Oil change at the dealer

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
So my plan was to do oil changes as required at the dealer and one extra oil change in between myself. Kinda gives you paper maintenance trail and lets you take your own care.

So I brought 8 qts of my own Mobil 1 oil for oil change to the dealer. The car already had Mobil in it as I did intermediate oil change of my own.

I had one 5 qts container and 3 1qt bottles in the trunk.

Next day after doing oil change at the dealer I needed something from the trunk, so I went in the garage and opened it. 5qt bottle was missing, but three 1qt bottles were in the trunk. Bottles were not empty.

I felt really weird as my initial thought was that they didn't actually use my oil, but Motorcraft.

Oil dipstick was dry.

I immediately poured oil from bottles in the engine and it took exactly 3qts to top it off.

So they filled 5qts in 8qts car! I only felt relieved because I only drove car less than 2 miles from the dealer and got no low oil pressure warning, so hopefully 5qts was enough for lubrication.

Then I looked in the invoice. Invoice also says they used 5qts. What the heck!

And by the way, I went under the car and pretty sure they did not replace the filter. But that I cannot prove.

So that's that. Just to add something to whether or not do oil changes at dealer.

P.S. And if you think only Ford dealers do things.... ''cause I thought that that way. No other dealer ever did anything this weird to me. Then here's my other recent story with another car I got. I never let dealer change tires, but was on such a tight schedule that when they offered me to replace tires I agreed just for convenience's sake. When I was picking up the car, for some reason it looked a little weird to me. Like tires were wrong... but that might be ok, at these were different brand/model than before, ... but still... let me check.... oh no.. completely different size! Can this happen at the dealer that is supposed to know correct tire sizes for their cars?

But so ford dealership was supposed to know oil capacities for their cars.
Sponsored

stevegt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium. 2019 GT PP1 ordered
Case in point why I never let anyone change my oil. The youngest least experienced kids are employed as oil changers, but it’s really the dealers responsibility to assure they are properly trained. The dealer owes you compensation (refund) for their mistake!

You need not worry about engine damage driving that short distance. 5 qts was plenty for that trip.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
If you had good oil pressure and/or didn't have an idiot light come on, then you are probably fine. If you did hard cornering though, that would make for a very unhappy oil pump and subsequent metallic parts.

Oh how I wish they made the sump exactly 10 quarts. 2 jugs and you're done. I think the '18's are 10.5 quarts, so that is equally stupid.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
So my plan was to do oil changes as required at the dealer and one extra oil change in between myself. Kinda gives you paper maintenance trail and lets you take your own care.

So I brought 8 qts of my own Mobil 1 oil for oil change to the dealer. The car already had Mobil in it as I did intermediate oil change of my own.

I had one 5 qts container and 3 1qt bottles in the trunk.

Next day after doing oil change at the dealer I needed something from the trunk, so I went in the garage and opened it. 5qt bottle was missing, but three 1qt bottles were in the trunk. Bottles were not empty.

I felt really weird as my initial thought was that they didn't actually use my oil, but Motorcraft.

Oil dipstick was dry.

I immediately poured oil from bottles in the engine and it took exactly 3qts to top it off.

So they filled 5qts in 8qts car! I only felt relieved because I only drove car less than 2 miles from the dealer and got no low oil pressure warning, so hopefully 5qts was enough for lubrication.

Then I looked in the invoice. Invoice also says they used 5qts. What the heck!

And by the way, I went under the car and pretty sure they did not replace the filter. But that I cannot prove.

So that's that. Just to add something to whether or not do oil changes at dealer.

P.S. And if you think only Ford dealers do things.... ''cause I thought that that way. No other dealer ever did anything this weird to me. Then here's my other recent story with another car I got. I never let dealer change tires, but was on such a tight schedule that when they offered me to replace tires I agreed just for convenience's sake. When I was picking up the car, for some reason it looked a little weird to me. Like tires were wrong... but that might be ok, at these were different brand/model than before, ... but still... let me check.... oh no.. completely different size! Can this happen at the dealer that is supposed to know correct tire sizes for their cars?

But so ford dealership was supposed to know oil capacities for their cars.
Have seen or heard this before a few times now
Reading your receipt before leaving might have been prudent when you know your cars requirements.
The different brand model tire should have caught your attention. An educated consumer is less likely to get burned or $burned

VIPR01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 Gremlin
When I purchased my GT the dealer provided two free oil changes. I booked and canceled my appt 3 different times simply because I’ve watched the circus before in the maintenance bays at dealers and observed what appeared to be an impact set to 600 ft lbs ripping on a oil drain bolt. This past week I invested in a set of race ramps which are fantastic, plus wrenching on my own cars is therapeutic.
Sponsored

Reactions: Why