Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
To add to the above comments, I just came back from a trip to San Francisco. I counted 31 Mustangs in 6 days. Apart from a couple of those that were older-generation Mustangs, all the rest were EcoBoosts. I haven’t seen a single GT! So, yes, the EcoBoost has taken over not just Europe, but even the US, the country where the Mustang was born.

As you will see in my signature, I don’t have a big turbo. I am tuned and made a few mods because I like to squeeze out the hidden potential of this car that Ford decided to hide in order to support the traditional GT. Now, if I ever race a GT at a traffic light and it outruns my EcoBoost by half a car (which I doubt), let them have it. In my country a GT costs at least 10000 euros (approximately 12000 USD) more than an EcoBoost. In some other European countries the GT is even much more expensive. Add to that the heavy taxes associated with the larger displacement engine and the extra costs of the gas on the GT and you can easily conclude who’s the winner here! And I know that if I ever decide to spend a bit more for a big turbo, I will have great fun at the next traffic light :headbang:
Sponsored

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford f250 turbo diesel and 2016 mustang svo
To add to the above comments, I just came back from a trip to San Francisco. I counted 31 Mustangs in 6 days. Apart from a couple of those that were older-generation Mustangs, all the rest were EcoBoosts. I haven’t seen a single GT! So, yes, the EcoBoost has taken over not just Europe, but even the US, the country where the Mustang was born.

As you will see in my signature, I don’t have a big turbo. I am tuned and made a few mods because I like to squeeze out the hidden potential of this car that Ford decided to hide in order to support the traditional GT. Now, if I ever race a GT at a traffic light and it outruns my EcoBoost by half a car (which I doubt), let them have it. In my country a GT costs at least 10000 euros (approximately 12000 USD) more than an EcoBoost. In some other European countries the GT is even much more expensive. Add to that the heavy taxes associated with the larger displacement engine and the extra costs of the gas on the GT and you can easily conclude who’s the winner here! And I know that if I ever decide to spend a bit more for a big turbo, I will have great fun at the next traffic light :headbang:
Vargas turbo and myself did not get to you..

Someday it will be be big turbo time..lol:cheers:

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Down-pipe, catted or not requires a tune. so that right there is a warranty no-go, if you run a down pipe without a tune, you actually can damage the motor as the flow rates will be completely off.
I just read an interesting article over at Jalopnik. Someone over there got their hands on Ford's flow chart for determining whether a warranty claim may be denied based on a modification:

https://jalopnik.com/how-a-car-company-decides-if-its-going-to-warranty-your-1821736111

I love my Ecoboost...Sadly, I doubt I will buy another Mustang, This forum has pretty much confirmed every prejudice I ever had about Mustang owners from my youth...
I've long since stopped looking to online forums for friendships; I save that for face-to-face. The written word is a horrible way to make a friendship, which is based more on emotion than facts.

The primary value of a forum like this is sharing information. Although just about everyone has something of value to add once in a while, some are more easy to ignore than others. It sounds to me like you still have a pretty good handle on why you bought an EcoBoost in the first place. Nothing about that has changed...except your outlook. Don't let anyone else ruin your ownership experience.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)

Right on, but I will add to this: San Francisco is hardly representative of the rest of the USA :D However, I do regularly see far more ecoboosts (and V6's) in the wild up here in the Pacific NW of the USA...I have actually encountered one Shelby G350. I followed the dude around the corner to the gas station he stopped at just to talk to him. Nice fellow, didn't bag on my Ecoboost at all :cheers:

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Regarding San Francisco and EB's. Alot/ Most of what your seeing is due to the huge rental car fleet servicing the area. There are plenty of GT's here.

Sponsored

ApplesAndOranges

Dare to compare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Check out Ford's last quarterly report. The Mustang has been out selling both the Camaro and the Corvette combined, and the EcoBoost accounts for 50% of all Mustang sales. People like them.

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I have no problem with the EBM at all I have had both a 15GT and the 16 EBM and other than the power issue up past 5250RPMS stock I am ok with it as is. It makes good power with little modding. As far as gas mileage however I am torn, yes its better than the 5.0, but I have to say depending on the weather it can be very hit or miss. IF its hot and dry, its fine, if its moderately cool and dry, its ok as long as its not too dense an air temp (But the power is great low temp), but as soon as you add any humidity over say 40% RH it blows. I get essentially the same gas mileage as my 5.0 did which was 24-27 Avg. These systems do not like humidity at all, which is were the NA motor can shrug it off better.

That aside. A couple of years to mature the platform better and work out the kinks and it will be a notable power plant. Just need Ford to work on getting those HP numbers up, and maybe work on a slightly larger turbo stock for it, just a little larger to overcome the sub par top end.

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
The integrated exhaust manifold is always going to be a barrier for exhaust pressures. I'd say that's a pretty intentional sand bag.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
The integrated exhaust manifold is always going to be a barrier for exhaust pressures. I'd say that's a pretty intentional sand bag.
Ford Performance offers a regular head. The barrier is that someone has to develop a manifold for that head. Also, part of the headifold design is that it has liquid cooling in the exhaust manifold, which allows Ford to run much hotter EGT's (Exhaust Gas Temperatures) than would normally be permissible (part of the Eco part of Ecoboost). I'm kind of guessing you'd need a custom tune to run with the regular head plus custom manifold...

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
Ford Performance offers a regular head. The barrier is that someone has to develop a manifold for that head. Also, part of the headifold design is that it has liquid cooling in the exhaust manifold, which allows Ford to run much hotter EGT's (Exhaust Gas Temperatures) than would normally be permissible (part of the Eco part of Ecoboost). I'm kind of guessing you'd need a custom tune to run with the regular head plus custom manifold...
Those are all non issues for the rest of the turbo 4 cylinder community. If the EB can't withstand EGTs from a turbo application then that's another sandbag but I HIGHLY doubt that's the case. It would just take a different tune, which would be required anyways. I can see for a stock setup that it would be advantageous in that sense. Perhaps a way of advancing timing without melting valves for EPA ratings...

I don't recall ever wishing my exhaust manifold was watercooled on my 4g63t. However, I'll take the lower pressures and higher efficiencies any day.

Sponsored

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Necromancing this thread for a simple question

Did Ford ever resolve the issue, or is it still the weakest link?
Same weaknesses, Ford continues to run this setup in the Ranger etc. The real fix is using an ST 2.0 block or going back to the past and using an older Ford Fusion 2.5 Duratec block with GDI head.
Sponsored