Sponsored

Nail in tire - patch or plug?

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
Has been driven on 23 psi then parked, so I don't think I did damage that way either. Rest of the tires 33 psi.

Should I plug or patch? Or just take it to a tireshop and they can decide? Cause I have a bcaa membership where they come to you and fix it, but i'm pretty sure that's just a plug.

I don't track the car, but I do spirited "pulls"...

Tires are 20/35/275
Sponsored

BrianH87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT ; 2021 Explorer ST
If you can get a professional to do it without ruining your wheels, have them use a patch-plug. Otherwise, I've plugged a few pilot super sports myself on my RS and never had an issue.

Tobey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Vert
If it's just a simple nail hole, then plug it. I've driven tens of thousands of miles on plugged tires.

OP
OP
clevernickname

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
For some reason I can't get any air into the tire. No air coming out of the leak when I'm doing it too. Thinking the valve is plugged or something. Should I call a mobile place that does it (bcaa) or jack it and bring the tire to a shop.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Take it to a shop. Sometimes the nail goes through at an angle shredding the belts and making patches...iffy. Tire is the only thing between you and the ground so treat it with care. Let guys that do it for a living take a look and make the call.

Sponsored

Tobey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Vert
The guys that do it for a living sell tires for a living. Nearly 100% of the time, that nail hole will be too close to the edge of the tire to repair. Or the tire will be too damaged. The advice you'll get will be to buy a new tire.

It's your car, your money, and your risk profile. I plug it nearly 100% of the time if it's a simple puncture.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
You'll have a hard time finding a shop to plug a tire. They want to patch. Plugs are questionable on reliability. But patches can't be put on the curves near the sidewall.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
In the time it took you to make thread and then monkey with it for 6hrs before you next booboo post about it you could have been out the door with a patch for $16.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
My neighbor is a commercial tire sales from the largest so-cal warehouse that your local retail tire store buys from. This guy knows tires. He told me that with modern patch-plugs, it only affects the speed rating of the tire by one grade. So yeah, if you have a Veyron, and you need a patch plug, probably don't use the "unlimited" key.

I've run patch-plugged tires for years with no problems at all. Actually just had my truck's tire patch-plugged on Saturday!

Off topic, I get great prices on tires :)
Sponsored