Steeda IRS quick help, this doesn't look right

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I was not overlooking the aforementioned problem the OP and others have indicated ... last night, I sent this thread to our head of manufacturing alerting him.

These fitment issues are not typical and most are from the subframe not being square from the factory.

I am not going to speak off-the-cuff until I know more after spreading to manufacturing.

I am working with the team on the backend to ensure everyone is aware and I will have to work with manufacturing to provide follow up details and support.

Best Regards,

TJ
Thanks, TJ, that's the reply I think most of us wanted to hear from you the first time. Obviously it takes time to deal with this kind of problem. We just like to know that the process of fixing it has begun and is not being ignored. So, thank you, and please let us know what kind of progress Steeda is making on the issue. I'm sure there are potential buyers reading this thread and holding off on their purchases until they know things have gotten better.
Sponsored

BLSTOIS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Chiming in that I had the same issue on mine a few weeks ago. The front bracket on one side was bent from the factory and the whole brace refused to alight with all the bolt holes on the car at one time. Got it after an hour of cursing and nearly stripping out bolt threads, then the other side was perfect and took maybe 5 minutes to install after jacking the car up

OP
OP
NIXPP2

NIXPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
18' PP2 Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
I would agree the second steeda response is more in line with that would be expected. I will say this, I've put about 20 miles on now since install. These things are a mandatory purchase as far as I'm concerned. The car feels so planted, solid and straight now. I can't believe they don't come like this from the factory. Steeda should obviously, based on the feedback already from a two day old thread, realize this is an issue and not an out-of-the-ordinary occurrence. Something is up with the jig for the driver's side brace that should be really easy to remedy. I just ordered a Tri Ax shifter and rear tranny bushing, hoping for a quick and easy install on them and am assuming my (and others) issues with the irs brace are unique to that item.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Ah, see... I take my brace off all the time for my OCD about checking torques and it's always gone on easy because I have the Steeda alignment pins. I can see without them that it'd be a little harder.

OP
OP
NIXPP2

NIXPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
18' PP2 Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
Ah, see... I take my brace off all the time for my OCD about checking torques and it's always gone on easy because I have the Steeda alignment pins. I can see without them that it'd be a little harder.
In this case it wasn't the alignment, it is that the holes on the driver side brace weren't drilled out large enough. It was literally impossible to get both bolts in simultaneously until I grinded it out to match the other side.

Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Partially why the alignment kit works well here as besides the manufacturing defect the braces can be tough to get in when the IRS is a hair out of alignment. I had to start each bolt and tighten them down a little a time back and forth and back and forth before I had success.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I had the same issue with mine. Did not matter bolts loose, start this one first or that one. It would get really close, but about 1/8" of being able to start the bolt with out cross threading the bolt. No way it was lining up. I had to drill out the hole a little. After that, no problem.

I did not think much of it. Just a slight alignment issue that was easily resolved. Never thought about posting up about it until now.

JakeS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic Metallic
I have the Steeda IRS alignment bushings in and it was a pain to put on the braces. Passenger side holes were a little smaller on mine. I had to pry it a little. Driver side went right in. But they are great. What a difference with them on.

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
In this case it wasn't the alignment, it is that the holes on the driver side brace weren't drilled out large enough. It was literally impossible to get both bolts in simultaneously until I grinded it out to match the other side.
Trying for some late night garage time, thought I would have an hour or less installing Steeda IRS braces, I've been reading nothing but positive reviews and couldn't wait to get them in. My mission hit a snag however. I started on the driver side, and after getting under there and seeing what I was up against, I thought this would take about 20 minutes. Joke is on me apparently. After attempting to follow the very simple, easy to follow instructions, there was no way to get both front hex bolts in at the same time. Surely I just had it misaligned or something. Twenty minutes and all the sweat I had left in me, I quit for the night, defeated. Back in the house, I reviewed the instructions again, looked at diagrams, read a hundred reviews looking for anything that hinted at similar problems. I found nothing. I couldn't take it, had to go back to the garage and see if after a break I would see what I was doing wrong and laugh. Nope. I laid the two braces side by side, and there it was. Looking at both sides of the car, it can't be intentional. The slots on the driver's side brace are much smaller than the passenger side, just enough that I can't bolt it on. Anyone else experience this? Now it's either the hassle if returning or drilling myself, I assume...
20180811_230542.jpg
Thanks for the heads up! It looks like I have the same issues and there is a slight bend on one brace near the logo side screw holes which would definitely keep it from sitting flush. I did make a call into CJ Pony in which I emailed a picture and waiting now to hear back for a resolution.
IMG_20180816_184753141_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
NIXPP2

NIXPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
18' PP2 Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the heads up! It looks like I have the same issues and there is a slight bend on one brace near the logo side screw holes which would definitely keep it from sitting flush. I did make a call into CJ Pony in which I emailed a picture and waiting now to hear back for a resolution.
IMG_20180816_184753141_HDR.jpg
Yep, same thing. Just grind about an â…›" from each of the too-small slots and you'll be good. I was too impatient and wanted them on the car, didn't want the hassle of repacking, shipping, and waiting. I probably should have called Steeda where I bought mine directly from, maybe the would have sent a nice coupon or something:dance:

Sponsored

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
Yep, same thing. Just grind about an â…›" from each of the too-small slots and you'll be good. I was too impatient and wanted them on the car, didn't want the hassle of repacking, shipping, and waiting. I probably should have called Steeda where I bought mine directly from, maybe the would have sent a nice coupon or something:dance:
There was no way this was going to fly especially since there was a slight bend in it. They are sending out a replacement as we speak.

OP
OP
NIXPP2

NIXPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
18' PP2 Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
There was no way this was going to fly especially since there was a slight bend in it. They are sending out a replacement as we speak.
Nice, I will tell you that you will be very happy with the way the car feels with this, everything is so much tighter.

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
I was hoping to install it this weekend but obviously that will not be happening. I have heard it has made big difference in how the cars feels. Someone mentioned that it helps the tramlining but I am not sure about that one.

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Perhaps the logo should be rotated 90° so that more metal is left at the section where these bends are showing up . . .

Norm
We take everyones opinion seriously, we will make running changes as we move along.
The Steeda IRS subframe is so popular we sell two per hour every day.
Thank you everyone for your support!!

Team Steeda
Sponsored