Sponsored

afraid of the 2018 GT? buy now or no?

Bladex10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra
Here's your problem.......and here's your sign. You think $50K is a lot of money, and it isn't. It's down-right cheap for what is included in a Mustang.

Until you get your expectations aligned with reality, your car isn't going to make you happy.
$50k is not alot of money? Lol When you start pricing regular run of the mill GT's in the $50k range, They better be top quality because youre in a whole new bracket of cars in that price range. Ford's quality control is still their worst problem. $50k car with $15k car quality is a no no
Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
$50k is not alot of money? Lol When you start pricing regular run of the mill GT's in the $50k range, They better be top quality because youre in a whole new bracket of cars in that price range. Ford's quality control is still their worst problem. $50k car with $15k car quality is a no no
Yet they don't seem to be lower than their competition in the 450+ HP sports car world. If I recall correctly their main two rivals (Chevrolet and Dodge) consistently rank lower.

Albeit there may be some years that change.

Ford is never going to be Japanese car quality as the bean counters won't let them. Good luck finding a Japanese QC car with the same specs as a Mustang for the same price though.

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
None of those cars in that "bracket" will touch the performance of the Mustang or Camaro. If you want similar performance and no bean counter compromises on the rest of the car then you better at least bring another 30 grand to the table. But good luck avoiding problems with the BMW Ms or Audi S anything. That being said they need to figure the problems out and make it easy on the customers affected. Ford does not want their last remaining car to get a bad reliability rep. I just get annoyed when people compare pony cars to base luxury cars because of price similarity but ignore the performance gap. Those same brands have models with similar performance and the price gap is huge. If you just want reliability, fully spec out a Camry and I think you might be in for some sticker shock and you would be stuck driving a Camry.

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
Yet they don't seem to be lower than their competition in the 450+ HP sports car world. If I recall correctly their main two rivals (Chevrolet and Dodge) consistently rank lower.

Albeit there may be some years that change.

Ford is never going to be Japanese car quality as the bean counters won't let them. Good luck finding a Japanese QC car with the same specs as a Mustang for the same price though.
Personally, I think the PP1 mustang interior was the best out of everything I test drove. I traded in a Evo X and can say it's interior was crap comparatively so I assume by Japanese you're referring to the luxury brands? My friend's 370z and my former DD 9g civic are not nice on the inside. The civic is downright trashy. The Corrolla I had when I wrecked my civic was abysmal. The touch screen was obnoxious, but at least it had one.

I don't know man. I really, really like the interior of the pp1 mustang.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
None of those cars in that "bracket" will touch the performance of the Mustang or Camaro. If you want similar performance and no bean counter compromises on the rest of the car then you better at least bring another 30 grand to the table. But good luck avoiding problems with the BMW Ms or Audi S anything. That being said they need to figure the problems out and make it easy on the customers affected. Ford does not want their last remaining car to get a bad reliability rep. I just get annoyed when people compare pony cars to base luxury cars because of price similarity but ignore the performance gap. Those same brands have models with similar performance and the price gap is huge. If you just want reliability, fully spec out a Camry and I think you might be in for some sticker shock and you would be stuck driving a Camry.
I don't know about can't "touch". Maybe not beat, but you can get pretty close to the same usable performance from several cars with AWD even giving up 100 HP or so. A M240 Xdrive or a Kia Stinger are viable alternatives. Yea, they don't rock a 460HP V8 but provide more than adequate stay out of jail level performance, and given the AWD they will beat RWD Mustangs/Camaros off the line with anything other than the most perfect launch. The Stinger isn't really my style, but I think we are just seeing the beginning of some interesting cars coming out of Korea.

Sponsored

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Then buy a damn Focus

Seriously though, anyone who thinks these cars are "too expensive" just can't afford to own it. M3 beating performance and amenities for $50k is a steal.
That statement is hilarious, stupid, and typical for a fanboy.

I could buy A LOT more than a GT. But I got in this position because I save money where I can and I make smart decisions.

Here's your problem.......and here's your sign. You think $50K is a lot of money, and it isn't. It's down-right cheap for what is included in a Mustang.

Until you get your expectations aligned with reality, your car isn't going to make you happy.
Cool. So you can send me a check for $50k, today, and not even miss it, right moneybags?

No, you can't. This statement is just as stupid as the one I quoted above. But I appreciate it as it's allowing me to figure out who here is a car enthusiast and who here has no clue what they are talking about. So please, continue.

+1 and well said.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Personally, I think the PP1 mustang interior was the best out of everything I test drove. I traded in a Evo X and can say it's interior was crap comparatively so I assume by Japanese you're referring to the luxury brands? My friend's 370z and my former DD 9g civic are not nice on the inside. The civic is downright trashy. The Corrolla I had when I wrecked my civic was abysmal. The touch screen was obnoxious, but at least it had one.

I don't know man. I really, really like the interior of the pp1 mustang.
I believe the OP was unhappy about reliability which is what I was responding to.

I agree the interior is much nicer than other Japanese car companies not named Lexus/Infiniti/Acura.

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
I don't know about can't "touch". Maybe not beat, but you can get pretty close to the same usable performance from several cars with AWD even giving up 100 HP or so. A M240 Xdrive or a Kia Stinger are viable alternatives. Yea, they don't rock a 460HP V8 but provide more than adequate stay out of jail level performance, and given the AWD they will beat RWD Mustangs/Camaros off the line with anything other than the most perfect launch. The Stinger isn't really my style, but I think we are just seeing the beginning of some interesting cars coming out of Korea.
I worked with a guy that had an M240 with a down pipe and tune and while it is a nice little sleeper it was not that close except from a 20-30 roll. The Kia has me pretty excited though and it is a viable option at a similar price point, I concede that point. Only time will tell how much power they will hold above stock but I have a feeling they will make owners pretty happy. The Stingers are not without problems either but from what I see they seem to be trying really hard to make it right. The yellow color had an ingredient flaw causing it to chip or crack. They offered free repaints and quality guarantee for the life of the car or free repaint. They contacted owners of the affected sunset yellow cars instead of waiting for them to go the dealers complaining. I think that is what Ford should learn from. Having a few bugs in a new drivetrain is understandable but making it right painlessly would go a long way for those affected.

Infidex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT w/ Tremor Package (PP2)
As others have said, with about 4k or more mustang's per month being sold with 5.0's in them, the few dozen problems you read on here are small. People will quickly scream when there is an issue, but not many will stop to praise their car as they are too busy out enjoying it. I've had my 18 PP2 since Jan, 3k miles with no issues (outside of a piece of inner fender trim missing that I just noticed, which isn't consistently on other peoples PP2, but I had an early build so I think I have GT350 liners and not the PP2 final liners). The 6 speed manual is better than the 2011 manual I had, so far no issues.

Sponsored

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
As others have said, with about 4k or more mustang's per month being sold with 5.0's in them, the few dozen problems you read on here are small. People will quickly scream when there is an issue, but not many will stop to praise their car as they are too busy out enjoying it. I've had my 18 PP2 since Jan, 3k miles with no issues (outside of a piece of inner fender trim missing that I just noticed, which isn't consistently on other peoples PP2, but I had an early build so I think I have GT350 liners and not the PP2 final liners). The 6 speed manual is better than the 2011 manual I had, so far no issues.

You're off about a magnitude on your sales figures. Ford sold about 5k mustangs in total last month. 80% were definitely not GTs. 10% would be reasonable.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
A M240 Xdrive or a Kia Stinger are viable alternatives.
Except they aren't. The M240i Xdrive will give up a good bit in straight line performance (almost a quarter of a second slower to 60, a massive gap in that metric) and be significantly slower around a track, all while having less amenities than a $50k mustang and costing more. The stinger is just nowhere near the performance of a Mustang. IIRC, the record 1/4 mile time for ANY stock Kia Stinger is 12.9... That's over a second slower than the Mustang's current stock record. Also, when tested same driver same day same track, the Kia was, IIRC, 10 seconds slower than just a PP1 mustang! It's a good start for Kia, but really not a contender for the mustang, moreso for the Cadillac ATS

That statement is hilarious, stupid, and typical for a fanboy.

I could buy A LOT more than a GT. But I got in this position because I save money where I can and I make smart decisions.

Cool. So you can send me a check for $50k, today, and not even miss it, right moneybags?

No, you can't. This statement is just as stupid as the one I quoted above. But I appreciate it as it's allowing me to figure out who here is a car enthusiast and who here has no clue what they are talking about. So please, continue.
Well if you can "buy A LOT more than a GT", then do it and quit bitching. If you bought the Mustang, I assume you bought it for a reason, and that reason is that it offers unbeatable performance for the price. Therefore, I assume you're bright enough to assume that the low price point doesn't come without some trade-offs.

But what's really hilarious is how damn stubborn and stuck up you are. I don't know what's worse, a "fanboy", or someone who's head is so far up their ass that they dismiss anyone who might make a valid point as "not being enthusiasts"

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
You're off about a magnitude on your sales figures. Ford sold about 5k mustangs in total last month. 80% were definitely not GTs. 10% would be reasonable.

"Mustang continues segment leadership, with 5,934 vehicles sold. Through the first half of 2018, Ford Mustang has outsold Camaro and Corvette combined. Mustang is attracting a younger buyer with its 2.3-liter EcoBoost powertrain. EcoBoost represents nearly 50 percent of Mustang sale

from the july sales thread.

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
"Mustang continues segment leadership, with 5,934 vehicles sold. Through the first half of 2018, Ford Mustang has outsold Camaro and Corvette combined. Mustang is attracting a younger buyer with its 2.3-liter EcoBoost powertrain. EcoBoost represents nearly 50 percent of Mustang sale

from the july sales thread.
Ah I stand corrected. The answer lies in the middle.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, I'm surprised only 50% buy the ecoboost. I'd expect it to be more in the 65-75% range
Sponsored