Sponsored

JLT cover

mustang_racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have my cover done now. It cost about $15. I went to lowes for the plexi glass, and advanced auto for the weatherstripping. Took me about 20 mins to drill the honeycombs and about that long to make the cover. I can't go test it yet because of the heavy rain for the next few days. I will let everyone know if the temps climb slower.
I still think JLT should make a cover that is removable. That's the good thing about this DIY project. You can take the cover off or leave it on very easily.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Dramad1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, PP, Blk
Removing the engine shroud helps un reducing bay temps as well. Any pics?

mustang_racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hopefully these pics work.
image.jpeg

mustang_racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Two more pics.
image.jpeg

mustang_racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Another
image.jpeg

Sponsored

mustang_racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Removing the engine shroud helps un reducing bay temps as well. Any pics?
Did you remove the shroud? I removed the hood blanket before putting the lid on the JLT and the temps went up even faster I thought. Needless to say, I put it back.

When the heavy rain is over in a few days, I'll test with the lid on.

OP
OP

Dramad1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, PP, Blk
I left the hood blanket on but removed the dust cover from the engine. My lid is sealed down from the hood. Over the last few days I have been only 3 degrees above ambient.
You can clean those cuts up using a Dremel and sanding wheel, just use long even strokes, hahaha. Looks good!
Edit,
Also make sure that the air inlet tube is correctly positioned over the grill port. I am also planning on putting a filter sock over the filter because I drilled and Dremel ed the honey comb area on the grill, worried about my filter getting wet under stormy conditions. Sock should help solve this issue and protect my maf sensor

mustang_racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I left the hood blanket on but removed the dust cover from the engine. My lid is sealed down from the hood. Over the last few days I have been only 3 degrees above ambient.
You can clean those cuts up using a Dremel and sanding wheel, just use long even strokes, hahaha. Looks good!
Edit,
Also make sure that the air inlet tube is correctly positioned over the grill port. I am also planning on putting a filter sock over the filter because I drilled and Dremel ed the honey comb area on the grill, worried about my filter getting wet under stormy conditions. Sock should help solve this issue and protect my maf sensor

I plan on cleaning up those edges. What dust cover are you referring to that you removed? Also do you see more hood movement at hwy speeds? Did you just drill the honeycomb on the right side or did you drill out some on the main opening as well?

OP
OP

Dramad1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, PP, Blk
The engine shroud, plastic cover that says 5.0 on the front, dust Cover. That thing keeps alot of heat imo trapped in the engine bay.
I haven't notice more hood movement at all since drilling the holes out. Seem about the same, only difference is the average iat's went down by 1 degree from just having the cover on. With just the cover I was averaging 4-5 degree above ambient and after with the cover and holes drilled and being much cooler lately, I'm averaging 3-4 degrees above ambient. Very good imo. I only drilled out the drivers side lil triangle, every hole, even the half honey combs and then cleaned all holes up the best I could with a Dremel and sanding stone cone.
I've heard of positive reviews as far as engine bay temps with the grill delete. I've done the grill delete on previous cars and think I'm going to hold out for now till the car gets a lil older and then maybe do a recessed grill. The grill delete look gets old after a while imo, just brings more unwanted attention in the long run from my past experiences. Living in cali, the hywy patrol and sheriffs love having a reason to pull you over. Like "oh modify ed grill, what other illegal mods do you have, hahaha sleeper status is the way to go here in cali.

Sponsored

BTM

I redline at 11,000rpm
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Thunder Roadster GT-R / ST3
Sub'd because I need to do this....my car is a hot, hot beast on track!

Olivas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ernest
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT w/PP
Reviving this old thread, here's my go at this. Started with a 18x24 piece of lexan from Home Depot, etched is down (used dremel for part of the corner cut), and the dremel to round off the edges. Some insulation foam tape around the bottom side to keep it in place and from sliding around, and then same up top so hood could push down on it more to help seal it. Appears to be helping on these hot days now, IATs will still creep at idle, but more slowly and haven't been as high.
20180610_084347.jpg
20180610_084355.jpg
20180614_170855.jpg
20180614_170908.jpg

66sprint6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT PP
I drilled the grill out, zip tied the snorkle to the JLT box and then beefed up the weather strip so it actually makes complete contact with the hood. In doing this my IAT's are 4-5 over ambient while cruising.

I have a Big Mouth and a customcargrill mesh grill that Im going to do soon and see if it gets down to those numbers quicker from a stop. Ive been debating on doing a plexi cover for some time now...might just go for it and see if it makes any difference.

Matt
sealed.jpg

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
Last edited:

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Intersting reading all those old posts. But it seems like a bit of work to get the intake to hit stock airbox IATs.

I'm still confused as to why the grill is so restricted at the intake. The engineers seemed to have put a lot of effort into those openings.
Sponsored