Sponsored

How long did you want a Mustang before you got one and what did it take to make it possible?

Remander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT Fastback
As much as I love the power of these cars, especially after a tune and the basics, I was never really into american muscle - drove a nissan, couple acura suvs, etc...

Last year - I really wanted a convertible. Didn't really care which one it was - I just wanted a convertible.

Was out to lunch one day with Dad - saw a Ford dealer across the street - decided to pop in. They didn't have any convertibles in stock.

Week after, went on vacation to Vegas - rented / drove a convertible Camaro all week and that solidified getting a convertible.

Got back from vacation - same Ford dealer called me saying they got a race red one optioned how I wanted it. 2 days later, went for a test drive; took delivery the next day.

I love the car - strait up funnest car I've ever driven. Sucks in the snow, and this year I'm really considering getting a winter car - but it was a good choice IMO.

I can't say I'll get another though. The luxury just isn't there. The leather is meh, all the plastic is meh, rust in 2 spots on the hood now on a 2 year old car / 1 winter and it gets waxed every week or so? For shame... My next is a Porsche - either the 718 as a convertible or the Macan. If plans hold true and the girlfriend and I move to Florida in 3 years when her son graduates school - probably the 718 - no need for a SUV where it doesn't snow...
The 718 is fun. Had one for a weekend. Terrible storage, though. Couldn't be a DD for me.
Sponsored

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have kind of always wanted one but my parents favored Chevys. My GF also favors Chevys. I have always had performance cars- WRX's, Civic SI's, Miatas and my latest was a 2017 Camaro RS 2LT with every option. If it were not for the Camaro and having so many transmission problems I would not be into my GT. The A8 transmission was giving me so much trouble and I had yet another appointment to bring it in I started to look around. One drive in the GT and I decided to trade the Camaro in. I only had 6K miles on the Camaro- seems crazy to trade something in with that low miles. Buy while I'm driving the GT, the Camaro is still in the shop, more than 2 weeks later being worked on for the bad tranny.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I made mistake of driving the exact same car (color, options etc) I ended up buying from another dealer (better deal) 70 miles away. Pulled my Father’s Day card and took family on field trip after Hurts Donuts to local Ford dealer. Wife loved it. Had deal done with trade 3 days later. Lol.

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
I only drive this thing because my wife bought it for me.
She likes Mustangs.. her father drove her around in a Foxbody 5.0. We're currently in search for a '65 resto-mod for her weekend car.
I always liked the way mustangs look, but never wanted to own one. Interior was always rental car ish.
S550 isn't so bad.. I can live with it

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT S/C PP2 - '15 GT PP - '18 GT
Long story short my family goes on vacation to Myrtle Beach for 1 week every year since I was about 10 years old. Just so happened to be the same week every year that Mustang Week was happening. So the bug bit me early. I'm 25 now, worked hard through college, and now have a good job in the IT field. After graduating grabbed me a 18 GT!
28602542707_390a4b24bc_o.jpg

Sponsored

gbgreen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Manual V6 Mustang Coupe
52 years.

Loved the car since the day it was introduced in 1964. By the time I was old enough to need a car, Mustangs had fallen to a very low level (a rebodied Pinto). It took a very long time for the quality and design to reach a point that I was ready to buy. The S550 redesign finally made me want to buy . And when my daily driver (2001 Solara hand-me-down from my wife) was finally showing a possibility of unreliability (after 225,000 miles), I decided the time had come.

Last edited:

JimsFury

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT (Grabber Lime), 1996 Ford Ranger
I have wanted one for about 1.5 years now and have been slowly saving for a down payment. I had a 5 year plan to make it happen. I was holding out for a new GT. I have gotten tired of waiting so 3 weeks ago I started looking for a new higher paying job and am in the process of finalizing that switch now lol. I should be able to get it without feeling guilty in 18 months.

My 1st car was a 1968 Beetle when I was 16. I bought it for $600, my 2nd car was a 1966 Ford Galaxie 500 2 door with a automatic and a 352 in it, it was jacked up with cragars. I had wanted a Mustang from the time I was 7 years old, my dad had a friend who bought a new red 1966 Mustang coupe and he used to ride me around in it during the summer with the windows down and the am radio blasting. That began my love for the Mustang. My family has always been Ford and when I turned 18 my dad co-signed a loan at the bank and I got a brand new Mustang II Cobra II with a V6, that was in 1978. I have driven and owned Mustangs ever since. Sure there are faster cars, more expensive cars but nothing and I mean nothing is like the Ford Mustang.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
My 1st car was a 1968 Beetle when I was 16. I bought it for $600, my 2nd car was a 1966 Ford Galaxie 500 2 door with a automatic and a 352 in it, it was jacked up with cragars. I had wanted a Mustang from the time I was 7 years old, my dad had a friend who bought a new red 1966 Mustang coupe and he used to ride me around in it during the summer with the windows down and the am radio blasting. That began my love for the Mustang. My family has always been Ford and when I turned 18 my dad co-signed a loan at the bank and I got a brand new Mustang II Cobra II with a V6, that was in 1978. I have driven and owned Mustangs ever since. Sure there are faster cars, more expensive cars but nothing and I mean nothing is like the Ford Mustang.

Somebody else who knows the truth

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
Since 1989.

I was 12 that year and my neighbor had a Black GT and I fell in love with it. I knew that I’d be a Mustang guy from that summer.

As soon as I got my license I bought a white 92 notch and kept it for a year or so and then bought a 91GT that was blue/silver. I loved that car.

Unfortunately someone hit me and after it was totaled out I bought a 94GT. This was my fastest Mustang up to that point as I had heads, cam and a blower.

I also had an 87GT along the way too.

The 94 was wrecked when someone hit it while parked in front of my house. I was living back home in Philadelphia at the time and I ended up buying an Expedition due to the winters.

I moved to Texas and bought a brand new 2010 FX4 and even though I love the truck (still have it) the Mustang itch was coming back.

My dream car was always a 2003/2004 Terminator (still in the market for one). But I couldn’t justify paying 25-30k for one.

I did not care for the 2005 and up body styles until the 2018’s came out.

Last month I decided to take the plunge again. I went to look at an 18GT but as soon as I saw the 19 Magnetic Metallic I knew that was the one. I’m completely in love with this car.

So here I am.

Jm22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S90
Wanted one since I was 12 years old. Took a new job last year that gave me a $50k raise and I figured now is the time. In my late-20s, no kids, so it is a good time for impractical and fun.

Looked at AWD cars for the NY winters, such as the C43, M240, S3, etc. Test drove a 2019 Mustang for fun one afternoon and bought a GT premium with every option. Keeping it until the M3 gets the switchable AWD/RWD that the M5 has.

Sponsored

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I was a little kid in the 60s and Ioved everything. Mustangs, Camaros, Chargers, etc. When I was in high school in the late 70s, a classmate had a late 60s Chevelle SS with aftermarket headers and exhaust. The sound of that thing was just perfect. My Dad owned a 66 Mustang convertible from 1979 until the mid 2000s. That car was fun and generated a lot of attention.

I never liked the looks of the Fox body or SN95 Mustangs. My brother had a late 90s Camaro and I much preferred the styling to the Mustangs of that era. But when the S197s came out I was a big fan of the retro look. Recently my wife and I became empty nesters. I spontaneously started looking at Mustangs and bought a 2015 V6 just 2 weeks ago. I still have a soft spot for the S197 but the S550 is clearly a better all around car. When I retire in a few years I'd like to trade up to a GT.

LICobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K0933
I’ve had several GT’s over the years, 90’, 95, 01’and an 08’... then went to a Honda for an economy gas saver..
In 2014 I wanted back into a performance car and thought I was going to a Dodge Challenger, but when I saw the lines of the 15’ Mustang my decision was made.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I wanted one since before I got my driver's license in 1982. My dad and I test drove a rusty '69 coupe that got hot on a 60 degree day within 5 minutes of starting, a '73 that was way too big and a Mustang II that I decided I didn't want. I ended up buying a '76 Cutlass, but I always wished I had been more patient and kept looking to find a '67-70 that was affordable and in decent shape.

I bought a 1989 GT in 1992 after I graduated from college and got my first full time job.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
My first car was a Mustang. It was a 1984 LX 4-cylinder that I got for free from a family member. Beat to death, holes in the floor board, no A/C...you name it, it was broken on that car. However, I'm very thankful for two reasons. One, it introduced me to Mustangs AND manual transmissions. And two, it taught me to work on my own car in the garage without help.

The neat thing is that same car is still in the family and back with the relative who gave it to me initially. And...it still runs great!

stogie5150

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 5.0 Base, 2013 F-150 XLT Coyote, 2014 Fusion SE
48 years.

I wasn't a Ford guy until I bought my '99 F150, I grew up in an environment that they would have rather me cursed than drive a Ford, I never liked the fox bodied cars back in the day, respected them, but as I say, I was a Chevy guy...

But alas, as a blue collar guy, there was never money for a 'toy'.... Driving a forlkift wasn't going to buy a 40k car...so my lifelong dream was shelved.

Enter the decline in the health of my parents. In 2002, my Dad passed, and one of his dying wishes was to have me look after my Mother until she died. Of course I said yes, but I had no idea what becoming a full time caregiver to a parent was like, I basically became her protector for 17 years until her health failed and she passed.

So, now, I have enough from my inheritance for a toy, finally. What to buy? GM and FCA were out just due to the bailout, yes there are still some of us out here that have hard feelings....Once I saw my first 550 Mustang i was hooked...ONE DAY...I thought....ONE DAY.....That day had FINALLY arrived. In January 2018 I took delivery of my 2016 GT 5.0. I didnt like what I had to go through to get it...but its EVERYTHING I dreamed of since I first held the steering wheel of my Dad's '84 pickup at the tender age of 13, bouncing around a pasture... I bleed Ford Blue!
Sponsored