Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

MulhollandMonster

Laus Deo
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Even if the failure is not crank related ?
Not sure I am willing to give up the FP sound .
Would tuning a CP motor using the GT 350 ECu be a concern(or vice versa if you put a Voodoo in a GT) ?
I have plans to built a GT 350 long block (may be sleeve ) to have as a spare(if the stock ones blows) and ready to swap in when I decide to pulley down the whipple(still not installed but will be doing so shortly since it does not look like my engine is using oil outside of Ford specs - per addendum to the Mamual )
Making the crank work requires a multiple set of components. Until I see a generation of confirmed long term tested flat planes, or at least an explanation as to what the fuck up was, I wouldn't consider a crate flat plane. Now building one from bottom up is a bit more fascinating, but if Ford can't get it right, I'm a bit apprehensive about assuming I can....THAT is why I concluded I'd do a CPC 5.2 Almuminator (it starts at a very reliable 580hp)...Something about having full confidence the platform will be reliable and easily capable of being force-fed.

Sammy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
This is one I saw in person. Ugly

https://imgur.com/a/ZfypQxa

I'm not going to lie here and say I read through 37 pages of failure events but I read a bunch of them. Here's the question and sorry if its been covered.

Has there been much in the way of failure from valve drops in these engines? I ask because I haven't been able to find any reports of this happening and I am 99% sure that is what happened to my 17 gt350 couple days ago. You might ask why do I suspect that, well I'm a licensed mechanic of 15 yrs and know the atrocious sound that accompanied this. Within seconds of the metalic sound starting the engine kicked so hard it jarred me forward and back in the seat, almost stalled, caught itself and then the noise.....oh the noise. Happened under normal driving condistions. It was towed immediately to the nearest dealer and now I'm in waiting mode for them to even get it into the shop start to look at it. Can't wait to see how much destruction Is in there.

17RubyShelbyGT350

First Ford - First Shelby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350-Conven Pkg - 1st Perf Mods Done
I liked the styling too... Liked the exhaust sound, the different engine architecture, meshing with fond memories of Shelby when I was a little kid and my neighbor had one. But that's over now. I did a lot of pretty competitive club racing over many years - had some good races and seasons - made a lot of friends. Not Mustangs, mostly Vettes. A year ago I was fascinated to learn that independently of my decision to buy a GT350, 6 of my old racing buds did too. Obviously the car and concept was enticing to us. Now, two out of the seven of us have had blown motors. Neither of them are on this forum and have moved on to other toys. One tracked his, and one didn't. Once I get done doing a series of TDYs, I will be moving on too - probably before the end of the year. My car's engine has not failed, but I am not having the enjoyment that I want, don't want concerns with the toys when I have enough real life ones. Also, I don't enjoy looking at the body panel fitment and interior quality of my wife's $24k 2016 Touring CX3 and seeing that it is at least two levels better than my $61k MSRP Shelby. Rear bumper gap is embarrassingly bad, one side vent wants to pop out after 20 minutes of driving, etc. Started the frequency count exercise and now see that the follow-on spreadsheet exercise has about 53 blown engines out of a very small population of total owners.

Don't know what I will be buying, but will continue that research for now. All cars have some problems, but some seem to have more of them - and that is where I am at with this one. Vettes are having their share too - bent wheels, overheating Z06s due to some poor engineering decisions, the AFM crap. Just my opinion based on my observations - and how I choose to spend my hard earned dough. No need for those of you who bleed Ford blue to rise up in defense, neither you nor your car is being attacked. I am just relating my personal feelings based upon my take on what is happening and how I want to deal with it.

"Auribus Teneo Lupum"

300blackout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
AMG GTS
I should probably be listed on the oil consumption page, not the blown motor page. My engine was replaced because of excessive oil useage, probably due to bad valve seals. BTW the new engine is running strong and has not used any oil so far after @400 miles.
I've found that most engines use oil to some extent.

I think that Excel spreadsheet should be named as Replaced Engines, regardless of reason because we still don't know the cause of engine problems or the cause of oil consumption. So if the motor was replaced, it's going on the spreadsheet.

If I had you assume the cause of oil consumption, I would have to say the revolutionary Plasma Transfer Wire Arc that is so durable that the rings are wearing out, but this is only speculation.

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
If I had you assume the cause of oil consumption, I would have to say the revolutionary Plasma Transfer Wire Arc that is so durable that the rings are wearing out, but this is only speculation.
If that were so, the S197 GT500s ('11 - '14) would have the same issue, and they do not.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Cujo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 GT350
Well got word today that ford has authorized a full engine replacement for the Gt350. Service submitted the parts order today and is now waiting to hear on the eta for delivery. I asked what that bill might look like and was told the engine alone is coming in just shy of $30k. Also asked the question is it true that ford is not allowing any dealer to open the engines and verify problems and was told they have very specific instructions that when it comes to the Shelby gt350 that the dealers are told that under no circumstances are they allowed to touch the engines if it's a warranty issue. They are allowed to pull the engine and put a new one in and that's it. Pretty crazy really.

Cujo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 GT350
They already have the car. Its sitting in their bay taking up a hoist and I'm costing them money in rental vehicle. I have every belief they will do whatever they can to get it done in a timely manner as it's costing them money daily

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Hmm, yall are smarter than me...my dealer has had my voodoo for at least 8 days and hasn’t even called about an appointment. This may be the last ford i buy under warranty for a bit, and that stings a little cause i’ve always been a fan.

Agent337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/ Black Stripes
It took my local Ford dealership 45 days to replace my engine. My first engine went through 2 quarts of oil in 545 miles during the oil consumption test. Ford performed a compression test and found that the walls on cylinder #3 were badly scored. So far so good on the new engine, but i haven't had a chance to go on a proper drive yet.

Bladex10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra
Well got word today that ford has authorized a full engine replacement for the Gt350. Service submitted the parts order today and is now waiting to hear on the eta for delivery. I asked what that bill might look like and was told the engine alone is coming in just shy of $30k. Also asked the question is it true that ford is not allowing any dealer to open the engines and verify problems and was told they have very specific instructions that when it comes to the Shelby gt350 that the dealers are told that under no circumstances are they allowed to touch the engines if it's a warranty issue. They are allowed to pull the engine and put a new one in and that's it. Pretty crazy really.
Jesus. A $30k engine bill when this car is out of warranty sounds spooky as hell. Hopefully a 3rd party shop gets ahold of one of these engines to dissect and pick apart soon to find the problem or there are going to be alot of uneasy owners in a few years when that warranty expiration date is getting near

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
But you have 5 yr./60,000 powertrain warranty before you have to worry about that.

Cujo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 GT350
It took my local Ford dealership 45 days to replace my engine. My first engine went through 2 quarts of oil in 545 miles during the oil consumption test. Ford performed a compression test and found that the walls on cylinder #3 were badly scored. So far so good on the new engine, but i haven't had a chance to go on a proper drive yet.
Might be in the same boat. Upon trying to get an update from the dealer today the girl who I have not dealt with to this point said that the engine appears to be on "emergency back order". She said that usually means 4 weeks or more from her experience. Let's just say I will not be a happy camper if this hold true when I get the regular guy back on the phone next week.

Nothing like losing out on the best time of year to drive the damn thing.

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
There is such a thing as backorder, but these engines are not on backorder at the moment. Usually are a 2 day ship to the dealer depending on location.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
'Emergency back order' well that's a new one. That sounds like they're replacing more engines than the factory has anticipated in needing.
I know when I was trying to get brake pads they used that same phrase and the parts guy explained that it helped them to get a higher priority in line to get the parts faster. And the pads arrived within 2 days.