Alex Flores broke shift forks on camera

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
Blows my mind that

1. Ford doesnt just put the GT350 trans in these and punt the garbage MT82.
2. People still but MT82 cars with all the known issues no matter what year or gen MT82 it is they all suck.
3. 10 speed the world
Imagine life back in the 1985 and newer T5 days, those things were junk until the aftermarket Z series was released in the 90's, with a good shifter it could live. I went through T5's in the 80's like crazy, the first one Ford installed a Turbo Tbird T5 which had shorter ratios and cut the 1/4 by 3 tenths and of course it exploded the first time at the drag strip, Ford went OPS and installed the right one after that which live for a short while before it too blew up, shifters with stops helped but the T5 was just too weak.
Sponsored

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Oi
Yep.....he didn't even react to it.....until he started grinning. Anyone else would have had a serious negative reaction.

But that may just be his personality.
So we are now 5 or 6 pages deep with comments so work out how many folk watched the vid who would not have viewed his you tube page previously. Did a percentage of those viewed subscribe or watch a few more of his videos? I suspect so. And how does he make money? YouTube advertising that’s how! The occasional broken stock part and 10 min rant doesn’t harm his profit margin at all ;)

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.
He's shifting like he's trying to break it. Morons like him give Ford and other brands a bad name.
Can you show us what a quick 1-3 looks like in your 2018. :)

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Imagine life back in the 1985 and newer T5 days, those things were junk until the aftermarket Z series was released in the 90's, with a good shifter it could live. I went through T5's in the 80's like crazy, the first one Ford installed a Turbo Tbird T5 which had shorter ratios and cut the 1/4 by 3 tenths and of course it exploded the first time at the drag strip, Ford went OPS and installed the right one after that which live for a short while before it too blew up, shifters with stops helped but the T5 was just too weak.
The T5's were fine on stock hp levels. I made many hundreds of passes without any issues. They didn't grenade until you started putting down significantly more power than stock. Those that grendaded on stock power levels were abusive of their transmissions.

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
I guarantee if it were any one of us and we broke our shift forks we'd be just as unhappy about it as the next guy. you have no way of knowing how much force was transmitted to the shifter from a cell phone video. Absolutely there is an issue with the strength of these shift forks plain and simple. if there wasn't Ford wouldn't have revised the part and generated a service bulletin regarding them. if yours haven't broken goody for you, if they do at least rest easy knowing the replacement is a stronger revised part.

Sponsored

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
Do you think that with the “new” tranny, the test drivers at Ford took them out and beat on them?
I wonder if they broke forks or anything else.

chrishammondx

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Base MT82
Do you think that with the “new” tranny, the test drivers at Ford took them out and beat on them?
I wonder if they broke forks or anything else.
Well, considering you can drive the car fast without shifting like the guy in the vid, I'd imagine they did to get the 0-60 and 1/4 mile performance numbers. I would assume it was successful testing and now some people are having issues they are trying to treat people fairly, even if some of it is driver abuse.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
if we figure someone of decent strength can bench / row their body weight, lets say 200 pounds, then the shifter and shift fork should be able to hold 100 pounds, assuming their "very fast" "quick shift" isn't really "effortless". But then after that, you get into synchro rings, dog teeth, and the gears themselves.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
You must've never quick shifted before. If you're doing it right, there isn't much resistance, it pretty much falls in.
It may have been a little more powerful than some may think. Watch his shoulder.... and his wrist. He doesn't hit the gate cleanly & it had a side force (level is a fulcrum). But nonetheless, it should not have broken. I heard it was bad casting..? But if you want to safeguard what is the better alternative..?

Tremec..?

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
IF you know how to time your clutch engagement and shift point, theres zero need 'too throw all your weight' into it. Just sayin. Guys in the 60's 70's had to powershift cause they 'slick shifted' there trannys.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
My MT82 has 80k miles and I have shifted many times way harder and power shifted with no breaking, saying he shifted too hard is crazy.
2015-2017 MT82s don't have weak aluminum shift forks .

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It may have been a little more powerful than some may think. Watch his shoulder.... and his wrist. He doesn't hit the gate cleanly & it had a side force (level is a fulcrum). But nonetheless, it should not have broken. I heard it was bad casting..? But if you want to safeguard what is the better alternative..?

Tremec..?
Go back to the stamped steel ones that were in the previous model years.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
That’s the point ....
Yep, just pointing it out in case some people still don't know that fact yet.

What surprises me is Ford's fix is supposedly "stronger" aluminum shift forks instead of steel like they should have left them.

Time will tell, I mean the frickin' AC evaporator has been redesigned 2 or 3 times, and the new parts still fail !
Sponsored