Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Hello everyone. I'm new here. I joined this forum because I'm planning on purchasing a 2019 R. I'm currently driving an AMG GTS, which I intend to keep as a second vehicle.

Regarding this issue, I'm hoping Ford would have the problem resolved by 2018-19 models. I believe that if Ford hadn't figured out the problem they would have ended the production of gt350 models with 2018, rather than announcing production run for another year.
We don't exactly know what issue or issues there are. Ford has a lot more information than we do. It's possible Ford has not made a change. Either way, IMO the Voodoo is a great engine and I'm sure you'll love your GT350.

Cujo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 GT350
I'm not going to lie here and say I read through 37 pages of failure events but I read a bunch of them. Here's the question and sorry if its been covered.

Has there been much in the way of failure from valve drops in these engines? I ask because I haven't been able to find any reports of this happening and I am 99% sure that is what happened to my 17 gt350 couple days ago. You might ask why do I suspect that, well I'm a licensed mechanic of 15 yrs and know the atrocious sound that accompanied this. Within seconds of the metalic sound starting the engine kicked so hard it jarred me forward and back in the seat, almost stalled, caught itself and then the noise.....oh the noise. Happened under normal driving condistions. It was towed immediately to the nearest dealer and now I'm in waiting mode for them to even get it into the shop start to look at it. Can't wait to see how much destruction Is in there.

300blackout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
AMG GTS
Sorry to hear of your engine's failure. Please keep us posted with what you find out. How many miles on your car when this happened?
I'm not going to lie here and say I read through 37 pages of failure events but I read a bunch of them. Here's the question and sorry if its been covered.

Has there been much in the way of failure from valve drops in these engines? I ask because I haven't been able to find any reports of this happening and I am 99% sure that is what happened to my 17 gt350 couple days ago. You might ask why do I suspect that, well I'm a licensed mechanic of 15 yrs and know the atrocious sound that accompanied this. Within seconds of the metalic sound starting the engine kicked so hard it jarred me forward and back in the seat, almost stalled, caught itself and then the noise.....oh the noise. Happened under normal driving condistions. It was towed immediately to the nearest dealer and now I'm in waiting mode for them to even get it into the shop start to look at it. Can't wait to see how much destruction Is in there.

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Just asking something here. You guys that are keeping the car after the warranty or have voided your warranty due to mods like a tune, are you considering upgrading your valvetrain with Ferrara components and the opg/crank gear?

MulhollandMonster

Laus Deo
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
If this engine blows, not under warranty, and I plan on making the platform work, then I will replace with the 5.2 Aluminator in a more tried and true cross-plane crank variant.

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Forgot about that option. Great choice.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Just asking something here. You guys that are keeping the car after the warranty or have voided your warranty due to mods like a tune, are you considering upgrading your valvetrain with Ferrara components and the opg/crank gear?
Just to clarify, a tune did not void my replacement. It wasn't the problem. They didn't say a word about it.

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Ok. Didn't know that. Thought they might have pulled the computer to see if it was flashed first.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
If this engine blows, not under warranty, and I plan on making the platform work, then I will replace with the 5.2 Aluminator in a more tried and true cross-plane crank variant.
Even if the failure is not crank related ?
Not sure I am willing to give up the FP sound .
Would tuning a CP motor using the GT 350 ECu be a concern(or vice versa if you put a Voodoo in a GT) ?
I have plans to built a GT 350 long block (may be sleeve ) to have as a spare(if the stock ones blows) and ready to swap in when I decide to pulley down the whipple(still not installed but will be doing so shortly since it does not look like my engine is using oil outside of Ford specs - per addendum to the Mamual )

300blackout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
AMG GTS
The 'blown engine spreadsheet' is growing still guys. I'm no longer actively counting, I just add entries when I bump across people's posts now. Man this is not good! Maybe waiting for a 2019 is out of the picture if this list keeps growing as people put more miles on these cars!

Link to my spreadsheet in my signature below

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
The 'blown engine spreadsheet' is growing still guys. I'm no longer actively counting, I just add entries when I bump across people's posts now. Man this is not good! Maybe waiting for a 2019 is out of the picture if this list keeps growing as people put more miles on these cars!

Curious...why would you be considering a GT350 if you have an AMG GTS

Front Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP2

Just saw the list, wow..........

300blackout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
AMG GTS
First, I like the look. The GTS is a great touring car, sounds great, awesome DCT transmission, etc.. and I'm keeping it. I'm looking a second car mainly for track. I like the gt350's look, manual transmission, etc..
20170825_090838.jpg

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
In my case, they didn't pull the ECU or data from it at all. Only the engine got sent back to FP