Sponsored

Dual Clutch Questions

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
My first car was a 2005 Mustang V6, the 2nd is a 2018 GT. From the get go, I have noticed differences in the clutch. Initially, the clutch would make a "whirring" sound on shifts over 5000 RPM. My dealer said it's normal and I should double clutch to avoid that sound (either way not the point of this thread). I just had a few questions because based on reading around, I would like to know if what I am experiencing is normal or not for a twin-disc and dual-mass. At 5000 KMs, I have noticed the following:

1) This clutch does not like being slipped. Now maybe I am using the term wrong, but you're either dumping the clutch or slipping it and I prefer to slip. I do not think I am excessively slipping it, like in 1st gear, but I prefer a controlled release of the clutch. On any high speed/high RPM shifts with a controlled release of the clutch, I get vibration in the clutch and it feels like the car vaults forward. It almost feels like the clutch has too much play or is slipping. Curious if that is normal? If I dump the clutch it's perfectly fine.

2) On cold start, the clutch feels very smooth, no issues. After driving for about 10 mins, I am now noticing vibration in the clutch. I wouldn't call it crazy excessive, but not as smooth as on cold starts. I have read twin-disc are noisier, is this also normal? I am not hearing noise but just feeling vibration, on both pressing and depressing the clutch. The fact that it only does it once warm makes me think it's not.

Thanks
Sponsored

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
I don't notice any of that. I had a 2011 Mustang GT, and while they feel different, and the pickup points are different, my clutch in the 18 is relatively smooth unless I want to drive a little aggressive.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
18's are using a twin disc? I knew they have a dual mass flywheel.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
A twin disc should have very smooth engagement. I'd say you have a problem there.

Sponsored

My2018MustangGT..

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018MustangGT
My first car was a 2005 Mustang V6, the 2nd is a 2018 GT. From the get go, I have noticed differences in the clutch. Initially, the clutch would make a "whirring" sound on shifts over 5000 RPM. My dealer said it's normal and I should double clutch to avoid that sound (either way not the point of this thread). I just had a few questions because based on reading around, I would like to know if what I am experiencing is normal or not for a twin-disc and dual-mass. At 5000 KMs, I have noticed the following:

1) This clutch does not like being slipped. Now maybe I am using the term wrong, but you're either dumping the clutch or slipping it and I prefer to slip. I do not think I am excessively slipping it, like in 1st gear, but I prefer a controlled release of the clutch. On any high speed/high RPM shifts with a controlled release of the clutch, I get vibration in the clutch and it feels like the car vaults forward. It almost feels like the clutch has too much play or is slipping. Curious if that is normal? If I dump the clutch it's perfectly fine.

2) On cold start, the clutch feels very smooth, no issues. After driving for about 10 mins, I am now noticing vibration in the clutch. I wouldn't call it crazy excessive, but not as smooth as on cold starts. I have read twin-disc are noisier, is this also normal? I am not hearing noise but just feeling vibration, on both pressing and depressing the clutch. The fact that it only does it once warm makes me think it's not.

Thanks
I have exactly the same issue except the vibration - which I have been characterizing as buzzing - is not as consistent as your experience. Sometimes it vibrates and sometimes it doesn't. When it first started, I would notice it mostly when the clutch as just about released. My "fix" was to dump the clutch faster but that can cause the car to vault forward. Someone suggested it could be high spots on the clutch/pressure plate? My 2018 GT has just less then 5,000 kms on it.

Ayatollah Humungous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
I have an 18 PP.

1. I have been told by some technicians that the wirring noise on high RPM shifts is normal and will begin to lessen as miles are added to the car. My car is actually getting better as I add more miles, but some other people are having serious work done to remedy the issue. My guess is that some "whirring" is normal, but a lot is problematic. That doesn't help answer your question, but the issue is still nebulous as far as I can tell. The answer will probably only come with time and miles. There is a thread int the Service and Recall sub-forum dedicated to this issue.

2. I had that same issue on my 15 PP, but don't have it to any great degree on my 18. I have found that where i park matters. If I park outside I get the vibration at shifting until the car is well driven. Then it disappears. If I park in the garage it doesn't happen at all. I am wondering if I am getting some corrosion on the clutch assembly when I park outside, similar to the brake rotors surface rusting overnight.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
I have an 18 PP as well. Took a few minutes to get used to the engagement of the clutch. One thing to note is the really high rate return spring from the factory. It might be a good idea to spend the $20 bucks or so on the Steeda clutch spring. It vastly improved the feel for me. I haven't really notice any excessive noise from mine, but I have a system in it, and it is probably drowned out by the music.

My2018MustangGT..

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018MustangGT
I have an 18 PP as well. Took a few minutes to get used to the engagement of the clutch. One thing to note is the really high rate return spring from the factory. It might be a good idea to spend the $20 bucks or so on the Steeda clutch spring. It vastly improved the feel for me. I haven't really notice any excessive noise from mine, but I have a system in it, and it is probably drowned out by the music.
I have the Steeda spring in it and it definitely improved the clutch feel. However, it didn't address the vibration/buzzing/lurching issue. I have the Steeda Shifter Base Bracket and Bushing and the Whiteline Transmission Mount Insert. Also I'm trying to source the Royal Purple synthetic transmission fluid. Won't do anything with the vibration/buzzing issue but maybe will help with the lurching.
Sponsored