Sponsored

DSS 2000 axle install

mattdue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Since the Whipple shipped i figured it was time to install the axles that have been sitting in my living room. Install was pretty straight forward till it came time to install the first Shaft. The Right side passenger shaft would slide in by hand approx 1/2 in an inch so i knew it was in the splines then would not budge any farther. I decided since it was splined i could tap it in . The shaft proceeded the 90% of the way but would not budge that last 1/4 inch or so. I put the nut on it with it in the spindle and tapped it some more. Not striking too hard i caused the splined end to come unseated inside the boot.
Copy of image6.jpeg

At this point i had to disassemble the boot, nothing inside was broke it looked like the splined part just came out and once it had outward tension on it by the axle nut it was solid. Other side was a breeze just as it all should have been.
Has anyone had this happen? I assume it will be ok as long it is isnt throwing grease out of the boot?
image5.jpeg
Sponsored

raycer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I had to force mine in using a 2x4 and dead blow. Place the wood on the bolt tops of the inner cv. Tapping on the outer splined end not recommended . Glad you got it in . Passenger side was easier for me also.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Since the Whipple shipped i figured it was time to install the axles that have been sitting in my living room. Install was pretty straight forward till it came time to install the first Shaft. The Right side passenger shaft would slide in by hand approx 1/2 in an inch so i knew it was in the splines then would not budge any farther. I decided since it was splined i could tap it in . The shaft proceeded the 90% of the way but would not budge that last 1/4 inch or so. I put the nut on it with it in the spindle and tapped it some more. Not striking too hard i caused the splined end to come unseated inside the boot.
Copy of image6.jpeg

At this point i had to disassemble the boot, nothing inside was broke it looked like the splined part just came out and once it had outward tension on it by the axle nut it was solid. Other side was a breeze just as it all should have been.
Has anyone had this happen? I assume it will be ok as long it is isnt throwing grease out of the boot?
image5.jpeg
I’m going to suggest that you might want to take a look inside. Undo the peripheral bolts.
From memory, the splined section is actually welded to the casing. If that’s the case, you’re rocking some dramas right there from what I can see.
Sponsored