Sponsored

Tyre inflation kit

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I recently had cause to use the air compressor supplied with the car to top up one of my tyres. I couldn’t get the thing to seal properly against the tyre valve, so ended up letting even more air out!

Fortunately I had another compressor, so was able to rectify. When I later inspected the one supplied with the car it looked like the depth of the connector on compressor was greater than the length of th thread on the tyre valve, so it would never be able to seal no matter how tight you put it on. When I looked at my other compressor, I noticed it had a rubber grommet/gasket in the valve connector. The supplied Ford compressor did not have this. I think if there was one in there, it would seal.

Would anyone be willing to take a picture looking into the business end of their tyre inflation kit valve connector so I can confirm this?

I’d rather put my efforts into finding a suitable grommet than bother with the dealership as it will no doubt turn into a major hassle.

Many thanks.
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Mines never worked, not on tyres, not on footballs, not on bike tyres, gave up with it, loads of them are apparently fucked.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
You have to twist it like a mad man to get it on enough to seal, then over inflate to make up for what you will lose while twisting it off.

OP
OP

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Seriously, I’ve tried on several occasions and it never seals, you run out of thread on the valve - it won’t go on any further and there is no evidence of a gasket/grommet inside the nozzle.

I think I did successfully use it on another vehicle once though.

Theory: EU/UK cars have different TPMS than US vehicles and therefore maybe different valve stems (with shorter length of thread). Oversight by Ford when putting in the standard tyre inflation kit?

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
What is your thread length?

Sponsored

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was faulty, Ford didn't know where to get another, so they gave me the one out of their demo car lol

OP
OP

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Take it back to Ford.

Everyone should check their pump works before they actually break down and stranded.

OP
OP

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Take it back to Ford.

Everyone should check their pump works before they actually break down and stranded.
Seconded!

So far no one has responded saying theirs works.

Should be something checked at the factory where the compressors are made really. QC?

Sponsored

SurfOrFight

SurfOrFight
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
GT Auto Ruby Red 2016
Vehicle Showcase
Checked mine out and no seal inside. Looked in the plastic adaptors/accessories supplied and out fell a little rubber seal; popped this inside and it works. You do lose a little pressure when unscrewing/removing. Would not have got this working without the warning, so thanks for that. I carry an emergency plug kit which I have used to get to a garage before on other vehicles. I think the supplied gunk is unlikely to be any good at all; anyone used it successfully?

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
My threads are about 6mm worth...

OP
OP

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Checked mine out and no seal inside. Looked in the plastic adaptors/accessories supplied and out fell a little rubber seal; popped this inside and it works. You do lose a little pressure when unscrewing/removing. Would not have got this working without the warning, so thanks for that
I’ve done the same, there was a rubber seal inside one of the adapters with the same diameter as the standard connector, so popped that out and pushed it into the standard connector. Interestingly the adapter has a section at the bottom with no thread where the rubber seal sits. The standard connector has thread all the way to the bottom, as though not designed to have a rubber seal, so probably poor but intentional design. I have a feeling that the rubber seal will interfere with the ‘gunk’ if you tried to use it as the opening is very small once it sits over the little stem in the main connector.

wack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Shadow Edition Triple Yellow
Checked mine out and no seal inside. Looked in the plastic adaptors/accessories supplied and out fell a little rubber seal; popped this inside and it works. You do lose a little pressure when unscrewing/removing. Would not have got this working without the warning, so thanks for that. I carry an emergency plug kit which I have used to get to a garage before on other vehicles. I think the supplied gunk is unlikely to be any good at all; anyone used it successfully?

Not the mustang but I have used it on a mercedes, it pumped it up and held pressure, got it to the tyre sbay at costco and of course the tyre was knackered, i'd hit a lump of metal on the motorway , put a 1" slash in the tyre, the fitter was amazed it'd sealed it but it had
Sponsored