Sponsored

Procharger Questions

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Hi there.

I have a few Procharger questions. Some of these have been answered I’m sure, as I’ve read A LOT of threads. But never the less, I’m going to ask again lol.

I’ve seen a few pictures of ProChargers mounted in the center like the Paxton and Vortech models. Is this a different kit or a different year? Had the same engine cover as the 15-17 and was selling as a 15-17 kit. I have also seen pics of the ProCharger mounted in their usual spot on the drivers side front. What’s the difference between them?

Here we go again, P1SC Vs P1X Vs D1SC Vs D1X and of course Vs the F1. There’s not much of a price jump between the P and D really. Not sure of the F but it’s more than I “need”. But how close is the D1X to the F1?

Their website shows the difference between the HO intercooler and the stage 2 intercooler. Wow! Are there 3 different ones or does the HO come in the standard kit? Is the stage 2 intercooler more difficult to install?

Is it worth it to do the stage 2 with the separate belt etc or is the standard regular / same belt work fine? With the stage 2, can the car be driven without the blower belt or does it require the belt to run at all times?

Thanks for the direction! Feel free to offer up more info as well...
Sponsored

foff667

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT Procharged D1X
Hi there.

I have a few Procharger questions. Some of these have been answered I’m sure, as I’ve read A LOT of threads. But never the less, I’m going to ask again lol.

I’ve seen a few pictures of ProChargers mounted in the center like the Paxton and Vortech models. Is this a different kit or a different year? Had the same engine cover as the 15-17 and was selling as a 15-17 kit. I have also seen pics of the ProCharger mounted in their usual spot on the drivers side front. What’s the difference between them?

Here we go again, P1SC Vs P1X Vs D1SC Vs D1X and of course Vs the F1. There’s not much of a price jump between the P and D really. Not sure of the F but it’s more than I “need”. But how close is the D1X to the F1?

Their website shows the difference between the HO intercooler and the stage 2 intercooler. Wow! Are there 3 different ones or does the HO come in the standard kit? Is the stage 2 intercooler more difficult to install?

Is it worth it to do the stage 2 with the separate belt etc or is the standard regular / same belt work fine? With the stage 2, can the car be driven without the blower belt or does it require the belt to run at all times?

Yes, the one you are referring to is the CARB version ie it retains the stock air box. Unless you plan on 1000+rwhp the p series of blowers will do just fine.

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
Yes, the one you are referring to is the CARB version ie it retains the stock air box. Unless you plan on 1000+rwhp the p series of blowers will do just fine.
Now who doesn't plan for a 1000 rwhp?:like:

Beerdy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GTPP
Hi there.

I don't see any reason the stage 2 intercooler would be more difficult to install. I have only done the install with the stage 2, but it wasn't hard at all. Regarding the stage 2 belt system, you can run the car without the belt just fine. I've had a couple of times where the belt wasn't tensioned right and got shredded, but the car kept driving like normal.

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Nice!

Well, stage 2 looks nice!

Also, for the money difference, I’m leaning to the D1X... Not looking for the 1000+ HP yet, but nice to know it’ll do it! Back in the day, started with a Vortech A trim. Then went B trim. Then went S trim. Then went R trim. Nice loud straight cut gears. Incremental updates, as each new model came out. Never made it to the Mondo though... not sure how those even stack up against the prochargers of today or even the Vortechs. The Paxton (still was different company than Vortech back then) had just came out with the Novi. Those were nice! No bumper removal (course no intercooler at the time). No idea about IAT temps but did monitor exhaust gas temp for tuning.

I am so leaning to the Procharger... but man, the Whipple sounds good too!

Darn!!! So many choices!!!

Sponsored

Dark knight s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 pp1 GT
Nice!

Well, stage 2 looks nice!

Also, for the money difference, I’m leaning to the D1X... Not looking for the 1000+ HP yet, but nice to know it’ll do it! Back in the day, started with a Vortech A trim. Then went B trim. Then went S trim. Then went R trim. Nice loud straight cut gears. Incremental updates, as each new model came out. Never made it to the Mondo though... not sure how those even stack up against the prochargers of today or even the Vortechs. The Paxton (still was different company than Vortech back then) had just came out with the Novi. Those were nice! No bumper removal (course no intercooler at the time). No idea about IAT temps but did monitor exhaust gas temp for tuning.

I am so leaning to the Procharger... but man, the Whipple sounds good too!

Darn!!! So many choices!!!
Keep us posted on what you decide to pick. I am going boost during Christmas time this year and I'm stuck between Paxton and a p1x. only hold up with procharger is the clamps busting off on a number of people, the Paxton seems like it has very little issues from what ive seen/heard from people (other than the actual install). Luckily I'm in south Florida so I should have a very smooth install with some of if not the best mustang shops around.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
drive side is where coyote kits mount, head unit i would pick based on your eventual power goals, so your not rebuying.

both kits are very similar install time. feel free to give me a ring and bend my ear on the kits, we specialize in coyote supercharging and are here 8am to 10pm to help ya out!

beef
513-478-1965

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
I’ve had both Procharger and Paxton kits on my car.

-P1SC HO kit with upgrade to stage 2 intercooler. Great setup, easy to install, pulled like a train.

-Beefcake Stage 2 Paxton kit, install was still only a 2 evening job, around 10 hours labor working at snail pace to make it fit as perfect as possible to avoid post-install issues (of which there were zero), also runs like a raped ape.

Rob Shoemaker tunes both set ups, both drive like stock until you want to release the fury. I’d recommend either kit.

If I was going blower again, I’d not hesitate to do P1X (why not for such a small upgrade fee) or Beefcake Paxton Stage 2 again.

jlwilson10609

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP Ruby Red
I originally had a P1SC HO Kit and after some mods I was about 645whp, I loved it, but I really wanted more power, I started looking to upgrade to a P1X or D1X after having installed my friends P1X, the blower was a huge improvement over my P1SC...I ended up skipping soooo many levels and found an Stage 2 F1A-94 with wastegate setup, I added the GT350 maf piping to not have airflow issues over the maf when the wastegate opened, and of course the big red race valve. I now make 922whp on e85 at 15psi, with a lot of headroom for more power down the line. The D1X is perfect for those that may eventually grow into 1000whp on the high end, roughly 850whp on high end for P1X if I had to guess.

p6cl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I have the P1X stage 2 stock 4.75 pulley 10 psi ish (headers) and wishing I would have gone with the D1X kit now. Best so far with my 2016 Mustang Convertible and big heavy driver : ) is 10.8 at 130 mph at Summit Raceway Park in Norwalk Ohio. That was with a Lund E85 tune and a Circle D 4C.

Sponsored

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
only hold up with procharger is the clamps busting off on a number of people, the Paxton seems like it has very little issues from what ive seen/heard from people (other than the actual install). Luckily I'm in south Florida so I should have a very smooth install with some of if not the best mustang shops around.
Don't pick because of clamps. That's a user install error imho. who knows what people do.

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Lol. I’m a convertible with a heavy driver as well. D1X is a nice place to start!

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Keep us posted on what you decide to pick. I am going boost during Christmas time this year and I'm stuck between Paxton and a p1x. only hold up with procharger is the clamps busting off on a number of people, the Paxton seems like it has very little issues from what ive seen/heard from people (other than the actual install). Luckily I'm in south Florida so I should have a very smooth install with some of if not the best mustang shops around.
I had a clamp pop off right after install on my P1SC but I think I loosened that one when I was trying to get the fitment right and forgot to retighten it. Either way, I tightened it down and have put about 300 miles on it since with no problems. And if it worries you, stop by NAPA and buy some T-bolt clamps. I bought some but I'm not going to take the front end off again to install them unless I have another clamp pop off. Or if I have a day that isn't 100 outside.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
As other's said, the other mounting is for CARB kits. All the rest mount in the typical front driver side location.

As far as picking a blower, there was a post by PCTech on here that I wish I saved but it explained it very nicely. The P1X and D1SC will have a stronger midrange than the D1X will. Unless you plan on surpassing the power capabilities of the P1X/D1SC I would stick with one of those two before upping to the D1X

The Stage 2 intercooler is much larger and definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

The Stage 2 system is worth it IMO. I like having the separate 8 rib belt. Better belt wrap, better tensioner, and easier to adjust the tensioner. If the belt snaps yes you can still drive it home. I've installed HO kits and Stage 2s and they arent much different. I've always installed an ATI balancer when doing the Stage 2s because I didn't like the cam lock method and the ATI is superior anyway, also gives actual mounting bolts for the procharger pulley. That being said you can make tons of power on an HO system too.

Look into wastegating the Procharger as well. It provides a significant boost in midrange power and makes the power delivery similar to a Whipple. There is increased load on the belt on these systems so a Stage 2 would be best for it (and the larger intercooler if you wanted to mount the gate on the end tank), I don't think anyone has wastegated an HO yet. You can also run a boost controller if you want to be able to adjust boost on the fly rather than swap pulleys. Feel free to take a look at my build log or shoot me a PM.

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Thanks!

I remember reading that thread as well. I think the P1X is like $200 and the D1SC is $250 or something like that. The D1X was $400 I think as well. So money wise, not a big jump.

I’ll check out your build!
Sponsored