Sponsored

HiPo Mustang (S550) Prototype Spied -With Different Exhaust Setup and Sound

TearTheHorizon

Threads
Reaction score
TTH, I recall you(?) were the one that mentioned the trinity engine line was being shut down in place of the Voodoo line? Does your info match up with what Octane posted?
There was some joking going around, about how the S550 ended up packing 550 hp. The trick is figuring out which came first.
Sponsored

Mriley

That was a bit cryptic or I am just not good at reading between the lines :) Not sure I quite understand but I will take that to mean yes.

TearTheHorizon

Threads
Reaction score
His numbers are very close. I can't say I know what the current numbers are at, but my last bit of info matches his non production set, 8500 and 550.

Mriley

Got it. Thanks. I think I understand your post - they came up with the 550 hp target first and then figured out how they would get there .... hence the flat plane?

Flat plane or not, I do also wonder why the exhaust tips are capped off when they have been testing quad tips. Perhaps just working on the exhaust note?

5.0mg

Threads
Reaction score
My bet is just audio camouflage disrupt harmonics or something. Ford is not going to make any performance engine that doesn't sound good in its own way I'm sure ;) hopefully the ace up their sleeve will be the announcement of two performance models gt350 and mach1? Or maybe gt500 one can only hope

Sponsored

BlackDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
Those mufflers are for testing, they have flanges on the tips so they can be hooked up to machines. We saw them on earlier mules. I don't see what the issue everybody is freaking over. Its a mule covered in testing equipment, take it for what it is...

WestRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E46 M3
After listening to the vid with a better sound system, it definitely does not sound like a 4 because the exhaust has a bit more low end grunt and rumble. It does sound a bit like Nissan V6 but slightly denser. The Nissan V6 has a lighter note. But I am not sure the sound in the vid is V8 because it doesn't have enough low end grunt.
Maybe Ford is doing something similar to the 911. They probably think they have a pretty good chassis to build into different performance variance. I remember Dave Pericak said "there will be a steed for every need".

BlackDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
There is no low end "grunt" sound in a FPC firing order. A FPC v8 sounds like 2 4cylinders running together...

BTW, I work for nissan and have heard every nissan sixxer since the 90's, and I don't think it shares any resemblance. That is IMHO, of course.

WestRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E46 M3
I listen to a lot of Ferrari engines and I don't think they sound at all like a 4. It does have that 4 sounding sequence but much more muscular and with a lot of low end grunt.

Sponsored

Fenderaddict2

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fastmyles.com
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang Boss 302
Was at the Canadian Supercar series Sunday and at low RPM just moving about the paddock the engines do sound like the clip. The secret is to listen with your ears and close your eyes to the fact there's a Ferrari in front of you. I also realized that the Porsche GT-3 sounds crap under the same load. And yet I "always loved" the GT-3. Hmmmm.

Satan

Overlord.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13' Boss.
This is awesome. I will hopefully have my 13' Boss paid off by the release and be able to have both.

rb336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Focus
Haven't read any posts yet, just finished watching that 2nd vid...

That is a v6 turbo...
I have to agree with this. I just spent/wasted a bunch of time listening to various exhaust noises, and every hi-output 6 had a similar tone - some more refined, but still tonally similar

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I have to agree with this. I just spent/wasted a bunch of time listening to various exhaust noises, and every hi-output 6 had a similar tone - some more refined, but still tonally similar
So you saying that is the EBV6 3.5 Turbo in that?