Sponsored

HiPo Mustang (S550) Prototype Spied -With Different Exhaust Setup and Sound

86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Hi.

I know for certain (dont ask)- 5.2L FPC NA V8 is real. Has tested at 550+hp but will be brought down for production ~ 500-525hp. High revving - 8500rpm.
If that ends up being true, I'll be kind of surprised. I feel like Ford could easily squeeze 500hp N/A out of a cross-plane 5.2 and save themselves some development costs.

The only way I'll understand a FPC is if it makes closer to 550hp @ 8500rpm. The Boss 302R redline is already 8400rpm and it doesn't differ that much from the regular B302

octane

Threads
Reaction score
The only way I'll understand a FPC is if it makes closer to 550hp @ 8500rpm. The Boss 302R redline is already 8400rpm and it doesn't differ that much from the regular B302
As i said in testing it has but determined not reliable enough for production engine. Still a lot of work being done so my estimates could end up wrong.

86GT

Threads
Reaction score
As i said in testing it has but determined not reliable enough for production engine. Still a lot of work being done so my estimates could end up wrong.
Yeah I get what you're saying, but I just don't really know why they wouldn't just use the cross-plane architecture

tbonez3858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bat mobile
After watching a bunch of videos of flat planes, I'm convinced the video is of a flat plane.

Sponsored

Build'em

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
3.7 perormance model. Thats def the V6. A FPC V8 would be an embarrassment to the mustang if it sounded like this. And these cars sound like they're running X-pipes now.they sound rather weak. H-pipe for muscle, X-pipe if you want to sound like a German V6 or small displacement V8.... It wouldn't suprise me if a engine from GM makes its way under a mustang hood in 2-4yrs. After all, the new 8 spd automatic that's in the C7 Z06 will be in new camaro, regular C7 vetts and 2016.5 mustang V8

NVPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT PP
3.7 perormance model. Thats def the V6. A FPC V8 would be an embarrassment to the mustang if it sounded like this. And these cars sound like they're running X-pipes now.they sound rather weak. H-pipe for muscle, X-pipe if you want to sound like a German V6 or small displacement V8.... It wouldn't suprise me if a engine from GM makes its way under a mustang hood in 2-4yrs. After all, the new 8 spd automatic that's in the C7 Z06 will be in new camaro, regular C7 vetts and 2016.5 mustang V8
Build'em, you stated in prior posts that you are a fleet manager for Ford and have driven the 2015 SVT Mustang in Arizona. What pearls of wisdom do you have for us?

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
If the new HiPo model comes out with a FPC, I wont bother waiting for it. Id rather get the 5.0 and tune it up to perform and look like the HiPo.

I think if Ford puts a FPC in the mustang, and they decide to sell it in Europe, it wont do as well as they think, or it could be a complete flop. When people in Europe buy an American sports car, it's because they want the distinct American V8 burble. We have enough FPC cars to choose from here already. We don't need more.

Like mentioned before, an American muscle car without its distinct V8 burble is just out of place to me. Doesn't sound right.

WestRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E46 M3
If the new HiPo model comes out with a FPC, I wont bother waiting for it. Id rather get the 5.0 and tune it up to perform and look like the HiPo.

I think if Ford puts a FPC in the mustang, and they decide to sell it in Europe, it wont do as well as they think, or it could be a complete flop. When people in Europe buy an American sports car, it's because they want the distinct American V8 burble. We have enough FPC cars to choose from here already. We don't need more.

Like mentioned before, an American muscle car without its distinct V8 burble is just out of place to me. Doesn't sound right.
The new Mustang is more of a sport car, and given its brand new chassis, if some had blindfold you, being behind the wheel, I doubt it feel anything like a muscle car.
As making an argument for a flat crank, I would agree with you. A well-tuned V8 is a lot more cost effective and may fit the image of a Mustang better. But Ford own ambition may be well beyond the current Mustang. They probably have in mind a track ready version that will compete with the likes of Corvette, GT3, GT-R. By then a flat crank will come in handy.

Leeky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes-Benz ML55 AMG
No way that's ever a 4 cylinder. And I heard nothing to suggest forced induction so I doubt we're looking at a V6 here. So I'd say FPC V8 as it does sound like a small block V8 at idle/light revs....

However, it doesn't matter if it has 1000hp, I'd still buy the Coyote as it's the only engine that sounds like a mustang. And for me that's more important than anything else on this car.

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Lets wait to see what's really powering GT350 before we write it off........and wait to hear what the finished product sounds like. I'm sure lots of things can and will change before now and when it's finally launched.

I'll admit though, one of the main things that drew me to Mustang was that exhaust note.

In fact, I'm just about to change the aftermarket exhaust on my '05 for another one that's got an even better growl :D

falcongtho3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1 ; 2013 Boss 302
My first thought was 'Ferrari', hence FPC V8. As to other engines we don't have on the list, Ford is doing a new smaller EB V6 in the F150 (2.7 I believe) that might make a good addition to the line up, depending on final power ratings.

TearTheHorizon

Threads
Reaction score
I'd still buy the Coyote as it's the only engine that sounds like a mustang.
I heard a very similar statement when the Coyote replaced the older Modular motors, as the two have very different exhaust notes. But based off of your statement (and many others here) I'd venture to say people adjusted to the once new note of the coyote just fine. Maybe we wait and see how people adjust to a flatplane.

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
I will buy a svt gt350 with a FPC high revving engine. I am happy with the sound, confident it will only get better. But the reason I am buying the car is for the driving experience - such as track days. So this is based on the assumption their is truth to the rumours to some degree.

I am quite happy with 525 hp, 8500 rpm, lighter car ( than current gt500), improved brakes and all the amenities. Cost is not that important as long as he performance it provides is commensurate to the cost and other car choices.

Mriley

I heard a very similar statement when the Coyote replaced the older Modular motors, as the two have very different exhaust notes. But based off of your statement (and many others here) I'd venture to say people adjusted to the once new note of the coyote just fine. Maybe we wait and see how people adjust to a flatplane.
TTH, I recall you(?) were the one that mentioned the trinity engine line was being shut down in place of the Voodoo line? Does your info match up with what Octane posted?

Hi.

I know for certain (dont ask)- 5.2L FPC NA V8 is real. Has tested at 550+hp but will be brought down for production ~ 500-525hp. High revving - 8500rpm.
Sponsored