OP
spogshd

spogshd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I think where i'm getting confuse is i'm trying to fit the short stub in the side that had the short stub when i think they are the opposite way round.
Sponsored

Bkingnorth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
I am having the same issue today with the same shafts! I got them in but......seams awful tight. The longer stub on the stock axles is the drivers side. That’s how I installed the DSS 2ks. Compressed they are just a hair longer.

OP
OP
spogshd

spogshd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I am having the same issue today with the same shafts! I got them in but......seams awful tight. The longer stub on the stock axles is the drivers side. That’s how I installed the DSS 2ks. Compressed they are just a hair longer.
I found a vid on you tube where the guy is installing a set of 800s and the thicker shaft on the 800s go to the opposite side but you can see that the short stub is going where the long stub was.
My part numbers were marked up this way opposite to stock.
Did you try putting them in long stub to your passenger side to see if this was a better fit.
Im now waiting for DSS to open on Monday to check. This turned out to be a full days work and gained nothing.:headbonk:

OP
OP
spogshd

spogshd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 convertible
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
spogshd

spogshd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 convertible
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
The short stub axle (right-side in your pic below) goes in the right-side of your car (looking from behind your vehicle). Long stub axle = left side. The reason for the long stub is because the ring gear is offset to the left on the differential carrier to engage the center-positioned pinion gear. You have the added thickness of the ring gear that the stub must pass through to engage the spider gears in the middle of the carrier.
AXLE.PNG

OP
OP
spogshd

spogshd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 convertible
Vehicle Showcase
The short stub axle (right-side in your pic below) goes in the right-side of your car (looking from behind your vehicle). Long stub axle = left side. The reason for the long stub is because the ring gear is offset to the left on the differential carrier to engage the center-positioned pinion gear. You have the added thickness of the ring gear that the stub must pass through to engage the spider gears in the middle of the carrier.
Thanks bob if thats the case it won't fit then i need to speak to them.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
You know you can just pull the ends off right?
Undo the peripheral bolts and you’re done. Don’t forget to loctite them though.

OP
OP
spogshd

spogshd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 convertible
Vehicle Showcase
You know you can just pull the ends off right?
Undo the peripheral bolts and you’re done. Don’t forget to loctite them though.
Thanks man, I need to know they are the wrong way round before i do it. Ive had a good look at them but i haven't got any to compare against. I think it would work if I did but I need to speak to them first.

OP
OP
spogshd

spogshd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Burkey, i see your using the 800s just out of curiosity did the fatter shaft still go on left side.

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Burkey, i see your using the 800s just out of curiosity did the fatter shaft still go on left side.
I don’t recall my DSS shafts being different in diameter from side to side.
I didn’t pay attention to the length of the shaft either, instead just focussing on the splined end.
I made the video below in the hope that it would help someone out there if they had NFI... but I’m not sure that it’s going to help you sorry..:headbonk:

One thing I will say though, run the nuts onto the threads with your fingers to test them. One of mine was shagged and killed the threads once it got 3/4the way on. DSS replaced the end under warranty, no hassle.

When I say drivers side in the vid, I’m referring to Aus/UK drivers side, NOT US drivers side.

GritzNGravy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I just swapped my axles today. I used the G-Force 850 axles though. Took me 1.5 hours, went smooth. The axle with the longer stub goes on left side (US Drivers Side). Hope you get your issue solved. One reason I went with G-Force, cause i knew their would be no problems.

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
not the first time I have seen this issue. 2 friends have these and they said they were too long and DSS had them take all kinds of measurements

OP
OP
spogshd

spogshd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Well I finally got to the bottom of the problem I need to swap the short and long stubs round the other way.
Torque to 57 lb and loctite them back up.
FYI the long shaft has the short stub and short shaft has the long stub.

Last edited:

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Well I finally got to the bottom of the problem I need to swap the short and long stubs round the other way.
Torque to 57 lb and loctite them back up.
FYI the long shaft has the short stub and short shaft has the long stub.
Glad you got it sorted.
Sponsored