Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
When you get it back, go over that thing with a fine-toothed comb. Look for unplugged electrical connectors, broken/missing/loose fasteners, unconnected vacuum hoses, missing covers, etc. I have to take mine in Monday for a main timing chain tensioner replacement (the chain rattles for a short while during warm start-ups). I have a lift, so I'll be removing the belly pan (and splitter) and taking copious pictures for post-repair comparison before it goes in for surgery. I know and trust the tech who'll be doing the work, but if you've ever been in a service bay, you know the techs rarely work on one vehicle at a time and multi-tasking can sometimes lead to missed/incompleted steps.

l'Ingegnere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I wonder if the number of catastrophic events has been significant enough to gain the attention of those that offer extended warranties. It seems that ESP's from Flood and the like have increased quite a bit for these cars.

Last edited:

Bladex10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra
Took my car in Monday at 8:00 AM. Dealer worked on it from 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM pulling and replacing the engine. Let it sit all yesterday to ensure no leaks etc. . Dealer detailed the car for me and I picked it up today. From what I can see from under the hood everything is back where it belongs. Dealer said they did pull it out from below but they also took the hood off to make it easier to work on it during the pull and the re-install. New engine is running very smoothly, seems slightly louder than the old engine, and seems to hold the revs better ( which could be because it doesn't have the oil burn problem ). For info purposes attached is the diagnosis of what was causing it to burn oil. Some obvious typos in the diagnosis, but they did find a problem with the engine

engine.small.jpg
Thats like the first "real" diagnosis i've seen on this oil burning issue. Wouldnt the car be smoking like hell out the exhaust if the valves seals were leaking?

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
It would smoke like mad if that much oil was getting past the valve stem seals. Also, I use minimal oil (maybe 1qt every 3k miles - which is typical of other high-revving cars I've owned)...but I too have some carbon on the exhaust, I believe that's normal. My Audi does that and my last 2 DOHC mustangs did that, too. I suspect you'll get it back :)

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Today is the 3 month mark for me driving the 3-legged gazelle. Waiting on a call anyday now when this motor shows up. Then the real fun begins

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Don't flame me because I'm no mechanic but why do you need to replace the entire engine if it's only the valve seals?

Sammy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
It would smoke like mad if that much oil was getting past the valve stem seals. Also, I use minimal oil (maybe 1qt every 3k miles - which is typical of other high-revving cars I've owned)...but I too have some carbon on the exhaust, I believe that's normal. My Audi does that and my last 2 DOHC mustangs did that, too. I suspect you'll get it back :)

You would think it would smoke but they don't. My first engine was going through more than a quart every tank of fuel and I never saw smoke. The back of the car was covered in soot but no smoke. At my request they replaced the catalytic converters knowing they were being over worked.

Sammy

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
You would think it would smoke but they don't. My first engine was going through more than a quart every tank of fuel and I never saw smoke. The back of the car was covered in soot but no smoke. At my request they replaced the catalytic converters knowing they were being over worked.

Sammy
same for me, and i've not heard of any of the many with this issue noticing smoke either

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
Ford definitely DOES NOT want dealerships to dig into the VOODOO. My R motor has recently come down with a rattling sound during warm starts. The initial feedback from the Ford tech line was ONLY remove the valve covers, oil pan and/or timing chain covers to diagnose the rattling sound. It'll be interesting to find out if the TCT is the culprit (as per my tech's assessment). Hopeful I do not need a new engine since mine burns little-to-no oil.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Don't flame me because I'm no mechanic but why do you need to replace the entire engine if it's only the valve seals?
Kinda like what Scoobs said...these guys are not trained engine builders. And probably for the better; they've got zero business cracking one of these engines open. Just R&R is about all they're allowed/qualified/certified to do. Maybe a head swap or something, but not breaking it down that far.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
I think Ford may be starting to pull back on replacing motors burning oil .
There is a lightning blue GT 350 at my dealer on it’s second motor .
They just completed an oil consumption test and Ford told him burning “up to a quart every 500 Miles is normal “ so no new motor .Yikes
That means it would go through the entire 10 quarts in between 5000 mike oil changes. .
Of course I am told he is pissed and wants Ford to buy it back .
I am halfway through my test and it does not look like I am burning that much .
I think I am just going to throw the whipple on it and if it blows I will build it .

I have a spare set of heads and may just build a long block to be on standby or swap in to save the OEM /turn up the boost .

I suspect the value of these cars are going to tank once word gets out (to no forum members) so might as well keep it and do what I want with it .

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I think Ford may be starting to pull back on replacing motors burning oil .
There is a lightning blue GT 350 at my dealer on it’s second motor .
They just completed an oil consumption test and Ford told him burning “up to a quart every 500 Miles is normal “ so no new motor .Yikes
That means it would go through the entire 10 quarts in between 5000 mike oil changes. .
Of course I am told he is pissed and wants Ford to buy it back .
I am halfway through my test and it does not look like I am burning that much .
I think I am just going to throw the whipple on it and if it blows I will build it .

I have a spare set of heads and may just build a long block to be on standby or swap in to save the OEM /turn up the boost .

I suspect the value of these cars are going to tank once word gets out (to no forum members) so might as well keep it and do what I want with it .
Unfortunately for him, the manual states that is normal. It’s when its gets under 500miles/quart that he will get a new long block.

I halfway want to boost my new one, because surely lightning won’t strike twice right?!?!...but then you read about people like that guy(i knocked on wood btw)

NDALLAS40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
To me, .5% failure rate seems rather high. I wish we could get the true number from Ford. I know it takes years to develop a car and power plant, and get it on the production line, but I wouldn't think they would do this many years with the Voodoo if they didn't consider it reliable. Either way, I was somewhat surprised when they announced a fourth year of production on the GT350. (5 yrs. if you count 2015). Also, a lot of owners have gone with a blower or turbo without beefing up anything else internal, and I only know of a couple that have failed. But don't hold me to that.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
I expect it will consume more oil with a whipple on top but I am already adding oil /checking more frequently than I do with my other cars with built motors (sleeved CPC 5.2/GT 350 Heads) and FI(KB/TT) .... might as well have another reason to do so . Lol
Gen 3 whipple has been sitting in boxes since Feb . I thought about returning it or exchanging for the gen 5 going on the 18 GT but there is a 20% restocking fee (another good excuse to keep it )
Even though it’s still in boxes I would probably take as much of a hit selling it (another reason to install it )
Heck it may even make it easier to sell when/if I do especially if I include a “spare” long block .
It would be a nice option for those who want but may not be able to afford (or stomach the ADM’s) the upcoming GT 500.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I expect it will consume more oil with a whipple on top but I am already adding oil /checking more frequently than I do with my other cars with built motors (sleeved CPC 5.2/GT 350 Heads) and FI(KB/TT) .... might as well have another reason to do so . Lol
Gen 3 whipple has been sitting in boxes since Feb . I thought about returning it or exchanging for the gen 5 going on the 18 GT but there is a 20% restocking fee (another good excuse to keep it )
Even though it’s still in boxes I would probably take as much of a hit selling it (another reason to install it )
Heck it may even make it easier to sell when/if I do especially if I include a “spare” long block .
It would be a nice option for those who want but may not be able to afford (or stomach the ADM’s) the upcoming GT 500.
To me, the whipple makes this the perfect car in theory. And if the 500 is DCT only, that’ll only help us with reselling. As many motors as you have, i say send it!! Lol