Clutch feels smoother then normal

LastNightsPants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT M6 PP1
TL;DR : Taught my brother to drive stick badly, I think my clutch plate is smoother. Is that a normal part of the life span of a clutch? It doesn't seem to be slipping when fully engaged just less friction as i'm shifting. So is it just more ware then normal or is it fucked?

Hey everyone, I recently got a 2018 Mustang GT in a manual and its been fantastic but the clutch has started to feel different. This is my first manual, but I practiced in a friends before buying the car a few times. I'm not the best at it still but I don't think I'm half-bad.

I recently decided to teach my younger brother how to drive a manual in my mustang (yes I know may not be the best idea and I guess it wasn't in the end). I taught him the way I was taught at first which was not the right way to start in my car. You see, I was taught in a normal Ford Fiesta by someone who probably wasn't the best teacher. Anyways they taught me to start the car with like 2000 rpms and then start release the clutch and give it gas. In a lower power non performance clutch this was fine, not right but fine, it worked.

Needless to say this I don't actually do this in my mustang, I actually just give it gas slowing at the bite point or just before so I don't just launch the car every time. But I didn't really think about how I drive the car, I just thought about how I was taught, so that's what I told my brother. It didn't work as he would end up launching the car and getting scare so his reaction was to off the gas and haults the car as it almost stalls. I let this happen a few times but until I realized what he is doing wrong and then taught him to do without using the gas and then slowly with gas and it worked fine.

BUT... Now I got back in my car and noticed my clutch is... well... softer... or smoother?... I don't mean the peddle feel as that's the same, I mean it seems to grab a lot softer, like there's less friction then normal. I'm assuming my lessons with my brother smoothed out my clutch but is that normal? I've tried checking if the clutch was slipping (while fully engaged) and I don't think it is. I tried to put it in higher gear and give it alot of gas and see if the rpm gauge move up disproportionately to the speed, but it doesn't seem to do that so I think its okay (not slipping) but I'm not sure tbh. So then is the little bit of smoothness I'm feeling when shifting just a natural part of the clutch lifespan that I just hit earlier then normal, or is my clutch actually fucked?
Sponsored