Sponsored

Do your neighbors complain about your exhaust?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
:kickrock:

A loud exhaust doesn't make someone's car sound good, a good tone does....
This, exactly.

Exhaust sound is the car's voice, and like most human voices it sounds better when it isn't shouting at the top of its lungs.

Norm
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

I think my exhaust sounds better than everything I've heard so far because it's balanced with low internal drone and I DON't rev to the moon while Daily Driving it. Only when racing and at that point, I don't care. Once I switch to catted LongTube headers though, it'll be a completely different story. The Roush axle back and X pipe will have to go. They sound like junk with LT's. ..even worse when they are Catless.

I'll end up going with the Drone Master American Thunder w/ the 3" piping, H-pipe and a set of bullet resonators. I'll have more interior drone than I want but the exterior sound will be on point with a deep aggressive tone without being obnoxious.

I have LTHs and the Roush setup. Have you heard it in person or are you just guessing it sounds like crap? Sounds to me like you're just throwing out a random statement... :thumbsup:

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10 401A with Active Exhaust
These types of threads will always be around as long as there are aftermarket exhaust systems which is going to be always lol. Couple things I'll add here, I have heard in person a corsa extreme cat back with catless long tube headers, and coming from a long term Mustang GT owner with catless exhausts going back to the early 2000s this set up is EAR PIERCING loud. It's insanely loud even when just cruising above 3k. My 03 Cobra with Stingers and catless X is quiet in comparison. It's to the point if that is your exhaust set up, you seriously have ZERO consideration of others. My buddy went by me with my window down with this set up and I swear my ears were ringing like you shot off a .45 with no ear plugs in.

My next thought is some people (non-car people) will think ANYTHING that is louder than a stock exhaust is "loud".

I had a 2012 GT with 3" off road X, GT500 mufflers and 3" resonator deletes. Car sounded really good too and I didn't think it was loud once it got warmed up but I'll be honest, cold start it was pretty loud. Not gonna lie. Two funny things about the cold starts then my final thoughts.

#1: I had a really old neighbors right next door to me in a condo. I never really saw them, but the old woman would always basically run inside when she'd see my car so I knew she didn't like it. You could hear each others garage doors opening but one day, mine was already open, middle of the day, and I got in the car and fired it up. The old man must have been sitting quietly on his porch reading a book or something which would be about 8 feet from my tailpipes b/c when I backed out he comes off the porch at me and I at first thought I had left something on the roof of the car or something and he was trying to tell me about it, so I stopped and rolled down my window and he goes just like this and he was mad......"WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FROM NOW ON, BEFORE YOU START THAT THING UP, I WANT YOU TO ROLL IT OUT. ROLL IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!." I just go I'm sorry if it scared you, and he just goes ''ROLL IT OUT FROM NOW ON''. About 2 days later he told me it scared him b/c he didn't hear me get in it but i knew then they already heard it starting all the time but from then on i ''rolled it out'' first. After that we became friendly and he told me he had a 1967 convertible GT. Red. And he liked my car b/c it brought him back.

#2: The other thing is in the parking garage at my old job a lot of people would be going to their car at 3:30 to leave when I was, and I always felt a little bad if someone was walking up or by my car when WHOOOOOOOM! the ole catless 5.0 fires up. Most of the time if they were close they'd jump a little then kind of walk off fast. I have a fusion now with bone stock exhaust. it's kind of nice not having to worry about it honestly but when I get another 5.0 it'll get an exhaust but I'm gonna try to get the active exhaust for this very reason.

Last edited:

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I start my car with the garage door closed and it's quiet after about 5 seconds due to my tune. Haven't had one complaint yet.
Is it fairly quiet other than the initial start up? This would be the set up I'd go with on a new car if it didn't have active exhaust

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Is it fairly quiet other than the initial start up? This would be the set up I'd go with on a new car if it didn't have active exhaust
It's quiet while idle and low speed. I can control it pretty well, but the setup is still pretty loud overall. It's on par with the extremes at WOT but regular driving is where the biggest difference is.

Sponsored

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's quiet while idle and low speed. I can control it pretty well, but the setup is still pretty loud overall. It's on par with the extremes at WOT but regular driving is where the biggest difference is.
I bought a used set of Extremes b/c I got a good deal on them even though I don't have the car yet lol. A guy I was talking to on the forums though was like would you want to trade me, I've got the Touring ones and after I heard the Extremes catless we swapped. About 2 weeks later he said hey man you wouldn't want to switch back would you b/c the cops have been at my house 3 times now b/c of noise and speeding complaints even though I'm driving 25mph. I said no sorry but that's why I wanted to switch with you to begin with. He found someone else to swap with him, said it was way too quiet for him and missed the Extremes so he swapped back again and last I heard just dealt with it and the cops said they didn't really care

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
Threads like this are what makes me glad my GT350 has active exhaust still with the Borla ATAK I put on it. Active exhaust makes everyone (especially my neighbors) happy and I still get to enjoy a loud exhaust. It's also helpful when I see cops...

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Funny thread to read through. When I was a kid in the 70s my dad would get annoyed whenever the 18 year old who lived half a block away would roar by our house on a Saturday afternoon. The guy never did it at night or early morning, so there was never an issue with waking us up, etc. I thought it was funny. Especially because my dad didn't like it. There is something about startling someone with loud exhaust that's always been funny to me, like sneaking up on someone and making them jump when you say, "boo."

Although he would sometimes grumble a little, my dad would never actually get upset or angry. Confronting someone just because they cruised by or passed them on the highway is ridiculous. There's enough stress in life already. But if that car was waking my dad up in the middle of the night or early morning, I have no doubt he would have confronted that kid and talked to his father.

I don't really get why "as loud as possible" is desirable. The point has been made that tone is more important than volume. if your cold start is waking somebody up in the morning, that's on you. Even so, it's good to see a lot of guys here take precautions like starting with garage doors closed, etc. to be respectful of others.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The active exhaust really is a game changer.. I keep waiting for corsa to come out with one for the 15-17 models...I love my corsa sport a lot, but there are times when I just want to shut if off and not hear anything but the open road in front of me...

Deleted member 35786

This is why I have not changed my stock 2016...I think it has a very good low tone and with the sound tube, you get plenty of feedback for the driver. Most louder exhausts I have heard lose that and end up just sounding raspy. I have thought about going to the ford performance touring for a bit more volume. I do envy the new active exhaust on the 18s as it seems to provide the best of both worlds.
^^ This right here. I second the fact that my stock exhaust is quiet and has a nice deep growl for the driver to enjoy. The only thing I might do in the future is a resonator delete kit at the most. Other than that I enjoy the nice quietness while cruising down the freeway with these old ears only to hear the rumble when I put my foot into it.

Sponsored

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
When my I had my 15’ GT I had Corsa Extremes on it. Most of the time I liked it but there were times it got on my nerves. Once I did the FP PP2 it got too raspy for my liking. I took it off and put my stock exhaust back on.

I just bought a 18’ GT with the active valve exhaust and it’s the best of both worlds. Track mode sounds awesome but I really like how I can start it on quiet mode. I like how you can set the timer for when you want the quiet mode. I set my quiet mode for all day. When I drive off out of my neighborhood I can switch it to the other louder modes.

moodywizard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lyle
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I had the corsa extreme with FRPP stage 2 and it was loud af for me. Living in socal I was always looking out for LEO. I swapped them for the sport now I miss the extremes..haha cant win.

Recently saw a mustang group FB post about a guy in socal that just got refereed due to exhaust and cai. So yes if you get stopped try not to go that route..$$$

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Recently saw a mustang group FB post about a guy in socal that just got refereed due to exhaust and cai. So yes if you get stopped try not to go that route..$$$
Not on FB, so I'm guessing that the "probable cause" that got him stopped in the first place was the loudness of his car's exhaust. After that, it was either a case of "what else can we send him to the referees for?" or "what else did the ref's find".

Norm

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
My neighbors across the street are probably a little happier that I added the Vibrant resonators to my setup. Some of the harshness was taken out of the initial start and the rasp is gone. By no means is it quiet though. Still can get very loud, but gained a deeper tone with the Corsa.

moodywizard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lyle
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Not on FB, so I'm guessing that the "probable cause" that got him stopped in the first place was the loudness of his car's exhaust. After that, it was either a case of "what else can we send him to the referees for?" or "what else did the ref's find".

Norm
Spot on. Its one of reasons I ditched the extremes, I do miss them from time to time though and might possibly go back to them (still contemplating). From the post he was only running the extremes with cats and CAI.
Sponsored